Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2015, 08:25 PM   #1

Mystery Spots In the Sky

Setup:

Pentax K-5
Dust Removal on Startup

Lens
Tamron 17-50mm F/2.8

Ran a dust detection which can back clean.
Did a auto dust removal.

The lens appears spotless in both front, rear, and middle elements.

I have attached two files. One is the full image and the other is a cropped section. the images have been enhanced to magnify the aberrations.

Any suggestions as to what this is? I will be shooting more with tis lens tomorrow and another lens to eliminate the lens as a possibility

Also i shot a images a day later with a Sigma 105mm EX F/2.8 and the spots were not there

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
01-24-2015, 08:27 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Whenever I see that sort of stuff it's always dust at the back of the lens on the element closest to the sensor.

obin
01-24-2015, 08:30 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

That's dust. You'll probably need to use a blower or a physical cleaning kit to get rid of it. But as long as you shoot at f8 or below, it probably won't show up in your photos.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-24-2015, 08:32 PM   #4
Site Supporter

It appears to be a dirty sensor .First thing I would do is, Lock the mirror up. Then remove the lens , tilt the camera face down, use a rocket blower and blow the dirt off. be careful to NOT to stick the blower in so far as to touch the sensor. If that doesn't get rid of it all then a more serious sensor cleaning is in order. Personally I have never had to gopast the rocket blower .

01-24-2015, 08:37 PM   #5

Original Poster
Here is another of the images I took the same day. The aberrations appear in the exact same locations even though the camera is telling me the sensor is clean. Alos both images were shot in RAW.

Here is an image I took with the Sigma 105mm f/2.8 I took two days later

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rpilla001/15737669924/http://

---------- Post added 01-25-15 at 03:38 AM ----------

Thanks. I will try the Mirror Lockup and see what that does. I am taking the lens out tomorrow again to see what it looks like.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
01-24-2015, 08:41 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Probably dust on the sensor, despite the camera's report. The aperture you shot at made them more visible. I look for them by setting the lens to f22 and shooting some solid color subject or the clear blue sky. If you shoot at f5.6 or smaller f numbers (wider apertures) the spots are much less defined, and can blend in to most subjects.
01-24-2015, 08:46 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for the quick responses. I will take it out tomorrow and shoot some sky at F/22 and see what comes of it. I never have too clean my film Sensors!
01-24-2015, 08:55 PM   #8
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
It appears to be a dirty sensor .First thing I would do is, Lock the mirror up. Then remove the lens , tilt the camera face down, use a rocket blower and blow the dirt off. be careful to NOT to stick the blower in so far as to touch the sensor. If that doesn't get rid of it all then a more serious sensor cleaning is in order. Personally I have never had to gopast the rocket blower .

Agreed. That is clearly dust and likely on the sensor. I've had this before too and it took several attempts with the rocket blower to get all of the dust spots off (and out of my images). Don't give up if one pass with the blower doesn't resolve all of the spots. Keep going.

01-24-2015, 09:11 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Cleaning film sensors....Hehehehe.

The first time I got dust in my pictures I panicked....so much that I cleaned the VF screen, hit it ever so slightly, and scratched it. That was within a month of having my K-X. I was so depressed I thought maybe I don't want to have a DSLR because it is too much work to stay clean and I should just go back to using a P&S. Needless to say, I am still using my DSLR and it is not that hard to keep clean. Just always be aware of when and where you swap lenses and rely on your rocket blower. Worse case, you can always do a wet cleaning or Pentax Lollypop which I hear does well, but the blower has all I have really needed. Also, you are at F22 so it's aperture is so small it is like a magnifying glass to see dust. On my K-X, I needed to clean at least monthly but after I moved to the K-30 it is rare for me to see dust. Maybe because I have the in camera sensor cleaning when I have it set to clean both when I turn my camera on and off. I don't know if that is why it is the 2X cleaning or because I am more careful of changing lenses, I don't know, maybe a little of both. After you do it a few times, cleaning is easy and second nature.
01-24-2015, 09:40 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Lenspen Sensorklear worked flawlessly when I had my k-x. Haven't had any dust on the sensor with my K-3 while using it for about a year now (better dust removal than k-x I presume). Repeatedly use the camera dust removal and blower first before moving to the next step. It's my understanding that the glass over the sensor is extremely hard and difficult to scratch as long as you clean it properly and be cautious. I used a flashlight to help see the stubborn dust on the sensor and gently focused on those areas with the tool.
01-24-2015, 10:50 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That's what you get for shooting at f/20.
01-25-2015, 03:09 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would be cautions of using a lenspen. There is the possibility of scratching the LP filter glass, you aren't really on the sensor itself, but I have seen pics where others have cleaned too hard and resulted in scratches which can show in pictures.
01-26-2015, 09:12 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by burnt umber Quote
Thank you everyone for the quick responses. I will take it out tomorrow and shoot some sky at F/22 and see what comes of it. I never have too clean my film Sensors!
You never had to do that shooting film because each "sensor", frame, is only used once. You take a shot, advance the film, and a new blank piece shows up. No dust problems at all.

In digital, the film never advances... The sensor is always the same. It can accumulate dust. It's electronic. It can get static. No matter how hard I've tried (dust control on camera on and off, blower, etc), I always have had to eventually access the sensor and clean it off with a lens cleaning kit. A rocketblower with the mirror up will work most of the time. In your case, the sensor has so much dust, I'm guessing the blower will take care of 90% of the dust spots (or more).

Finally, you'll want to learn how to deal with the spots that end up there after the fact. Learn about spot-healing, cloning, etc. with respect to your software of choice. Some dust spots shouldn't ruin your shots and should be fixable. It's better than trying always force yourself to shoot at a wider aperture just to avoid spots.
01-26-2015, 01:04 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
You never had to do that shooting film because each "sensor", frame, is only used once. You take a shot, advance the film, and a new blank piece shows up. No dust problems at al

I remember a quote from a book on film developing : " a 4 foot springy length of plastic just waiting to unroll into an infuriating dust collecting tangle - in pitch dark" Dust was a problem on films as well and is was very difficult to get ptich black or pure white on printd. No cloning possible, but I agree with learning to fix in post. It is worth it
01-27-2015, 08:04 AM   #15

Original Poster
Emalvick and Basie,

I of course was being sarcastic about the dust and getting dust on my Film Sensor. I still shoot a healthy amount of film in 135 and 120 formats. I am rather adept at cloning out dust and other artifacts which arise from post process dust storms. I have several labs I use which are phenomenal about dust control and scanning their work is a pure joy. I have found I spend less time scanning negatives and process than I do converting RAW images and editing.

I have attached the final edit.

As for the dust. It took a number of times to get it anywhere close to dust free and most of the time I ended up with more dust on the screen than previously. I am going to order some stuff, but the blower seemed to only make things worse.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Last edited by burnt umber; 01-27-2015 at 08:25 AM.