Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2015, 11:53 AM   #1
Veteran Member

DA* 55mm no infinity

So today I noticed that when I shot a photo of something really far away it was not in focus but something closer was. I put it to manual focus and made sure it was on infinity and took it again but still not in focus. Looking at it in live view throughout the whole range it never makes it to where I can shoot the horizon. I looked at the lens and it seems to movie properly when turning the ring. Is this normal?

01-29-2015, 12:53 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
This happened to me, and the cause turned out to be a broken lens mount. The bayonet on my K-5 was bent, and this increased the flange focal distance enough that the infinity stop on the DA* 55 was short of infinity.
01-29-2015, 01:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just have a question. Are you sure you aren't focusing past infinity? Because modern DA lenses tend to allow focus to go beyond actual infinity (for a couple reasons).
Also, keep in mind that if you shoot wide open, focusing near infinity will not look stunningly sharp even if focused properly. And DoF is shallow even if near infinity.
I'm just mentioning the things that are often the answer in similar threads. Of course it is possible there is something wrong between the mount (acting as a sort of extension tube), so also check the lens and camera mount. If the camera mount is the problem, you would probably encounter similar problems with other lenses
01-29-2015, 01:25 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That's not right, obviously. A DA 55 should focus to infinity (and maybe beyond, as Buzz would say). The focus ring will continue to turn once you get to infinity, so no hard stop, like with the FA limiteds, but there should be a point where everything far away is in focus.

01-29-2015, 02:29 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had two copies when I first bought this lens that encountered the same symptom. I exchanged in store until I got one that would focus to infinity. My only problem I've ever had with a Pentax lens.