Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2015, 10:21 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Two tripod mount holes on a camera body?

No matter which flash bracket I use, sooner or later the mount loosens up and twists a bit. I find it annoying to have to constantly pay attention to that. It occurred to me that if there were two, not just one, tripod mount holes on the camera, this would not be a problem. This might be a dumb question but does anyone else find it odd that a typical camera has only a single mount hole? Is there a solution to this other than tightening the mount screw even more?

01-31-2015, 10:30 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Loctite.
01-31-2015, 10:31 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Many tripod plates have custom lips or flanges to prevent the plate from rotating on the camera. I use a Markins PG-32 on my k-5IIs and k-3.
Pricer than generic plate but solves the problem.

Since you are trying to attach a flash bracket you might try the custom tripod plate and then an arca-swiss clamp mounted onto the flash bracket. You can drill and tap as many holes as you want on the bracket and clamp to make it secure. Attaching to the camera would then just be attaching the clamp to the arca-swiss plate already on the camera.

I've never tried it with a flash bracket, but I do that with my pano gear and it works fine though a little bulkier than the bracket only.

Another option is that (at least on the k-3) there are a couple of pin holes on the left designed to hold the battery grip from rotating. You could with a little machining drill your flash bracket, tap the holes and thread a short bolt through that registered in those holes. That would lock everything tight without much fuss.
01-31-2015, 10:46 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by akptc Quote
Is there a solution to this other than tightening the mount screw even more?
I have damaged a camera body doing just that
I have seen some video heads have a locating pin to prevent movement.

01-31-2015, 10:49 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Many tripod plates have custom lips or flanges to prevent the plate from rotating on the camera. I use a Markins PG-32 on my k-5IIs and k-3.
Pricer than generic plate but solves the problem.
Thank you for the tip, I think I will try this approach. I just took a quick look at the baseplate on my K-3 and it looks like there are 3 screw wells deeply recessed into the body which could accommodate anti-twist pins.

I also see that there is option to add a front flange to the CB Mini-RC flash bracket I just ordered. But I still think how much easier life would be if the camera came with two holes already there. How much trouble would get myself into if I tried drilling one...

.. just found the link for that CB flash-bracket and anti-twist bar
http://www.custombrackets.com/cb-mini-rc.html

Last edited by akptc; 02-01-2015 at 09:35 AM.
01-31-2015, 11:15 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by akptc Quote
How much trouble would get myself into if I tried drilling one...
Probably a lot But it would make a great story.........
02-01-2015, 01:16 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Putting a piece of high friction rubber between the tripod head and the camera will increase the friction quite a bit, which make the risk of the camera slipping out of position much lower. And you probably will not have to tighten the screw as much.

But don't use too thick rubber, as then the rubber might flex and the camera is not fixated enough.

Last edited by Fogel70; 02-01-2015 at 01:27 AM.
02-01-2015, 05:43 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Putting a piece of high friction rubber between the tripod head and the camera will increase the friction quite a bit, which make the risk of the camera slipping out of position much lower. And you probably will not have to tighten the screw as much.

But don't use too thick rubber, as then the rubber might flex and the camera is not fixated enough.
This is my approach too, except that I use cork sheet (just because I have it on hand) instead of rubber, same effect.

02-01-2015, 06:19 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Manfrotto makes "architectural" tripod mounting plates that have a flange on them to keep the camera from twisting. I would not doubt other tripod head makers have something similar.

Manfrotto Architectural Quick Release Plate

The Manfrotto hex quick mount plates have holes for an additional pin/screw. The mounting base plate on one of my bellows/focus rails has a hole for this pin/screw

You can see the additional screw holes on this hex plate:
Manfrotto 130-14 Hexagonal Quick Release Plate 130-14 B&H Photo.
02-01-2015, 07:05 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

For decades I have wondered why still camera makers don't put a hole for a "video pin" into the base plate of every camera. It's tiny, not more than 1/3 the size of a standard tripod screw hole, so the excuse that it would take up too much room is totally bogus. It's very simple, it's near 100% effective, so why oh why don't they do it??
02-01-2015, 07:47 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I am using a camera plate with a flange on my K3 that I used on my K7. The plate has a slotted hole for the screw that fastens it to the camera so it fits both the K7 and K3 even though dimensions are not identical and it's solid. Both Kirk and RRS make all sort of flash brackets and stuff that fits on to these plate. However if mounting the camera on a tripod you will need an Arca-style ball head. However, the plate does have another screw hole so I suppose you could use a standard screw plate ...I use this hole to mount my camera strap so the plate stays on the camera at all times.
02-01-2015, 06:29 PM   #12

Two tripod mount holes on a camera body?

QuoteQuote:
How much trouble would get myself into if I tried drilling one?.........

That would be like drilling an air hole in a submarine.
02-02-2015, 04:33 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BlakeShellman Quote
That would be like drilling an air hole in a submarine.
Of course. It lets the stale air out. Like a leaky rowboat. You drill a hole in the bottom to drain out the water.
02-02-2015, 05:10 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Of course. It lets the stale air out. Like a leaky rowboat. You drill a hole in the bottom to drain out the water.
But only at the BACK of the boat. If you drill through the bottom at the FRONT it lets the water in. Something to do with centrifrugal gravity I think.............................
02-02-2015, 05:32 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Not a real sailor in the bunch

I read somewhere that some still camera bodies come with two holes already pre-drilled.