Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2015, 07:02 AM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Stefan Jr Quote
Short question about the rubber hoods available that connects to the filter threads; is it possible to use the lens cap as usual? Stupid question maybe, but better safe than sorry.
The one I have allows the original pinch-cap to work with no problems. The rubber collapsible hoods are a bit big but do work well.

02-06-2015, 08:17 AM   #17

Original Poster
Thanks for the feed-back.
02-08-2015, 01:05 PM   #18
Pentaxian

If you want to use that hood for best flare protection, keep in mind these lenses are designed for full frame, and the hoods too.
To get the absolute best flare protection for these lenses on APS-C, you would need a rectangular one designed for 75mm FF lenses.

Not easy, I haven't found a really good one fitting for 49mm filter thread.
02-08-2015, 01:35 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Add cardstock to an existing hood until it is too long then cut back.

02-08-2015, 04:28 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
If you want to use that hood for best flare protection, keep in mind these lenses are designed for full frame, and the hoods too.
To get the absolute best flare protection for these lenses on APS-C, you would need a rectangular one designed for 75mm FF lenses.

Not easy, I haven't found a really good one fitting for 49mm filter thread.
The Takumar hood that comes with the 135mm f3.5 is about 50mm deep and just a little bigger than a 58mm cap at the front. It's labeled for the 150mm f4 and 200mm f5.6 too. That doesn't vignette on APS-C. You could probably go longer or more rectangular but it is hard to imagine stray light that would get past the Takumar hood.
02-24-2015, 08:18 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supportaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The JJC LH-SA49 is good for the price. It's not as good as the Pentax OEM hoods. The JJC springs / latches have a poor action, and the inside of the latches (for when you mount the hood reversed on the lens) don't have the same tangs as the Pentax original, so it doesn't mount securely backwards. It doesn't mount as tenaciously in the standard position either, so it might offer less protection from physical damage if the lens is dropped. More importantly, the inner diameter is a few thousandths smaller, so it 's a tight fit on several lenses whereas the Pentax original fits with ease. I have to fiddle to get it to fit on Takumar, M, and A series lenses, but it does fit fine on the da35 2.4. Based on my experience, I'd rather have a better quality one.
02-24-2015, 08:31 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
My past includes film cameras from Nikon. They had a round hood that I used on my 50's and I found Tupperware lids that fit them. This was easier than pulling off the hood and cap alternately. I would look to find a round hood that does not vignette and a cap that covers it. That Is my plan.
I went a route similar to this with my M50/1.7. I use the Kalt 49mm metal hood bought from B&H and a nameless 58mm pinch cap that fits the hood. Works a lot better than trying to reach down into the hood to remove a lens cap mounted on the lens. I like the Tupperware cap idea.
02-25-2015, 08:29 AM   #23
Pentaxian

The best lens hood is the one attached to the lens. No matter how "good" a lens hood is, if it's not attached to the lens, it's useless.

With the kind of hood in the photo, you attach it to the lens once, and forget about it:

02-25-2015, 09:29 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
There is no "Play It Safe". Pentax did not make a dedicated hood for your lens. At least they did not make one back in 1982 when I bought my copy new.
??? In 1983 I bought an MESuper, M50/1.4, AF200 Flash with accessories boxed kit that included the PH-SA49 matched hood referenced above. I still have it and the leather case that came with it, and I still use it with every 50mm lens that has a 49mm filter thread from Super Takumars all the way up to FA50/1.4 (I have eight) when shooting film.

I want a FF dSLR so my OEM hoods will work as God intended them to work
02-25-2015, 10:08 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
??? In 1983 I bought an MESuper, M50/1.4, AF200 Flash with accessories boxed kit that included the PH-SA49 matched hood referenced above. I still have it and the leather case that came with it, and I still use it with every 50mm lens that has a 49mm filter thread from Super Takumars all the way up to FA50/1.4 (I have eight) when shooting film.

I am aware of the PH-SA49 hood and am also aware that it works equally well on every 50mm lens with 49mm filter threads ever made. I don't believe that makes it dedicated in the normal sense of the word, nor do I believe that it is a particularly good application when the lens is mounted to an APS-C camera. That being said, it is a nice hood, and when properly aligned should provide somewhat better shielding on FF 35mm format than a round hood of similar depth. If not properly aligned, it will vignette on opposite corners...not recommended for use with polarizer filters unless you a willing to constantly be fiddling with the hood

Steve
02-25-2015, 10:09 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Hahahaha, so your reasoning is the hoods.
02-25-2015, 11:22 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Hahahaha, so your reasoning is the hoods.
OF COURSE IT IS!!!

I have 14 K-series FF lenses and the proper fitting plastic hood for each. I want a Pentax camera that will let me use the intended 40-year-old hood with the intended 40-year-old lens without flare and/or vignetting. :cool

* /irony
02-25-2015, 11:26 AM   #28
Veteran Member

OF COURSE IT IS!!!

I have 14 K-series FF lenses and the proper fitting plastic hood for each. I want a Pentax camera that will let me use the intended 40-year-old hood with the intended 40-year-old lens without flare and/or vignetting. :cool

* /irony
Hear, hear!
02-25-2015, 11:27 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I am aware of the PH-SA49 hood and am also aware that it works equally well on every 50mm lens with 49mm filter threads ever made. I don't believe that makes it dedicated in the normal sense of the word, nor do I believe that it is a particularly good application when the lens is mounted to an APS-C camera. That being said, it is a nice hood, and when properly aligned should provide somewhat better shielding on FF 35mm format than a round hood of similar depth. If not properly aligned, it will vignette on opposite corners...not recommended for use with polarizer filters unless you a willing to constantly be fiddling with the hood

Steve
Uhmmmm. Yeah.*

The biggest objection to the OEM hoods from the 80's ought to be paying up for them on eBay or KEH. $25 - $40 for a piece of 40-year-old plastic is as bad as . . . buying a new OEM hood from the Pentax Webstore.

* Most of my hoods have more than one f-stop printed on the side. Many of them have more than one FL printed on the side. Keeping a collapsible rubber hood in the bag helps (me) with the CPL fiddling problem somewhat.
02-25-2015, 01:59 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

eBay or KEH. $25 - $40 for a piece of 40-year-old plastic is as bad as . . . buying a new OEM hood from the Pentax Webstore.
Yep, the PH-SA49 is $29.95 new at B&H...

Pentax 49mm Rectangular Lens Hood 34021 B&H Photo Video

Steve