Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
02-03-2015, 02:28 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lens hood for Pentax-M 50mm f/1.7

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi everyone,

First thread here - please show me mercy.

I've been unsuccessful in finding a hard plastic lens hood for my Pentax-M 50mm f/1.7

Though, I've found a replacement hood that seems to fit pretty much all except Pentax-M.
That item is JJC LH-SA49.

So my question, is it possible to fit JJC LH-SA49 to a Pentax-M 50mm -. in any way?
Or - is there any other "hard" hood that anyone can recommend?

Thanks in advance for any assistance

// S

02-03-2015, 02:43 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax PH-S49 (50mm) aka PH-SA49 Rectangular Plastic Hood reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
02-03-2015, 03:11 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ahhh - big thanks RAART!
02-03-2015, 04:29 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the square plastic hood labelled "JJC Lens Hood replaces PH-SA49" and it fits on M 50mm f1.7. It also fits the DA 35mm, M 28mm (at least on crop sensor, maybe on film, full frame it would be too tight for 28mm), as well as other lenses with the same filter thread diameter.
Its a fairly good lens hood, I quite like it. But there are also many other hoods that fit the M 50mm f1.7, and some might even be more effective than this one, Some people even use a step down ring as a type of lens hood, but you have to be careful not to use one that is too small, or it will act as aperture and limit the lens.
I know a lot of people like the circular rubber collapsible hood, as you just screw it on and choose its "setting"

02-03-2015, 05:19 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks again for quick and accurate response,

When reading the description and reviews for LH-SA49 hood, here on Pentax Forums, it's obviously the right one. Strangely though, all sellers descriptions of the item that I've came across, mentioned A, F, DX and FA. But excludedes M. Great you guys could sort it out for me. Thanks.

Short question about the rubber hoods available that connects to the filter threads; is it possible to use the lens cap as usual? Stupid question maybe, but better safe than sorry.
02-03-2015, 05:36 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

With some hoods the cap can be difficult to easily remove, so I've replaced them with this one:

Pentax O-LC49 49mm Lens Cap 31526 B&H Photo Video
02-03-2015, 06:57 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the JJC hood and an M and A 50 f/2 as well as the. DA 35 f/2.4, it fits all of them. However the lens cap I have which is like the one in the link above does not fit at the same time. This is a result of the design which mimics the original Pentax the bulky squeeze tabs get in the way. . The cap will almost fit, it even will fit for a while but eventually it falls off. I have resorted to packing it in my bag separately.

02-03-2015, 09:41 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stefan Jr Quote
Strangely though, all sellers descriptions of the item that I've came across, mentioned A, F, DX and FA. But excludedes M. Great you guys could sort it out for me.
Sellers often have things mislabeled or don't know what exactly they are selling when it comes to Pentax gear.

With a rubber hood, it depends on the hood and cap. I think some rubber hoods actually come with their own (bigger) cap that fits on the end of the hood. Some people like that. Others remove the hood and mount the cap every time they put the camera away.
02-03-2015, 04:56 PM - 1 Like   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

FWIW, Your lens does not have nor does it require a matched hood. I use a couple of different hoods for mine. For 35mm film, I have a collapsible hood intended for "normal" lenses. For APS-C, I use a generic 49mm metal hood from heavystar on eBay that was originally intended for short tele.

Steve
02-04-2015, 01:00 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Nakedgun,
Thanks - then I know there's an alternative.

UncleVanja,
I was only able to get the JJC version too, then I know what to expect concerning the cap.

Na Horuk,
I guess since I kept on stumbling on the JJC version, lack of full information was even more significant.

stevebrot,
Thanks, I'm trying (initially) to play it safe since I have so little knowledge. I guess later on I'll be
brave enough to check out other alternatives.
02-04-2015, 08:17 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My past includes film cameras from Nikon. They had a round hood that I used on my 50's and I found Tupperware lids that fit them. This was easier than pulling off the hood and cap alternately. I would look to find a round hood that does not vignette and a cap that covers it. That Is my plan.
02-04-2015, 09:52 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Stefan Jr Quote
stevebrot,
Thanks, I'm trying (initially) to play it safe since I have so little knowledge. I guess later on I'll be
brave enough to check out other alternatives.
There is no "Play It Safe". Pentax did not make a dedicated hood for your lens. At least they did not make one back in 1982 when I bought my copy new. I own and have used both of the hoods linked below with my Pentax-M 50/1.7:

Both APS-C and 35mm FF:
New Metal Standard 49mm Screw in Lens Hood | eBay
APS-C Only:
New Metal Tele 49mm Screw in Lens Hood | eBay
Both will accept a 58mm lens cap on the front of the hood and both are well-made and inexpensive. There are slip-on and screw-on rectangular hoods available, but my experience has been that they are clumsy in use, more expensive, and not worth the trouble.

Steve
02-05-2015, 01:52 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Stevebrot,
Aha - I see.
Thanks for the info/links. I prefer round and solid ones, and both those in your links look indeed more practical than the rectangular type.

UncleVanya,
That's my plan too. A nice practical round and solid one. Stevebrots links fixed it.

----------------------------------------------

Thanks to all for all the help - really appreciate it.
02-05-2015, 02:19 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

I got this hood, and it works perfectly on my A50/1.4, guess that will work also on yours(APSC only). It comes with a cap, so no worry about that.
49mm 49 mm Tele Metal Lens Hood for Canon Nikon Sony Olympus Pentax Lens Cap | eBay
02-05-2015, 04:13 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Nice one!
Smart solution with the lens cap.