Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2015, 08:19 AM   #16
Pentaxian

There seems to be movement blur on the children. The spires have abberations as well, the light is coming from behind and some flaring is apparent on the upper right.

There isn't any shutter speed indication.

Not a trivial shot to take, tough lighting conditions. Everything that could go wrong would be made unpleasantly worst by movement blur. Start with that.

Are you shooting raw? The noise is easy to fix post.

02-03-2015, 08:20 AM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Looks like a problem with low DOF, APS-C DSLR have less depth of field compared to point and shoot cameras like the Nikon Coolpix.
Yes, hybrid are maybe better in this case...
02-03-2015, 08:22 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The aperture setting of F8 on a P&S small sensor camera is not the same as F8 on the K-3 (APS-C sensor) as discussed in other threads. I can do the same comparison of my Q and the k-3; it is a trade off, do you want to have everything sharp or do you want subject isolation?

Last edited by aleonx3; 02-03-2015 at 08:31 AM.
02-03-2015, 08:30 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Looks like a problem with low DOF, APS-C DSLR have less depth of field compared to point and shoot cameras like the Nikon Coolpix.
The Coolpix A is APS-C as well.

---------- Post added 02-03-15 at 10:30 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
The aperture setting of F8 on a P&S small sensor camera is not the same as F8 on the K-3 (APS-C sensor) as discussed in other threads.
Not the Coolpix A

---------- Post added 02-03-15 at 10:33 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by FunnyUncle Quote
18-55WR is ok, but bad sharpness... I think the Sigma focused bad about 10 metres away... But I am surprised that I can make better picture from compact Nikon Coolpix A. Maybe I expect more from K-3 but itīs not possible...

---------- Post added 02-03-15 at 04:18 PM ----------

Dear my friend, I m not stupid
The Pictures was taken from the same time, with the same settings from the stand. All pictures are made from Raw. The settings wasnīt changed. The reason why I do the test is that I am afraid to invest to buy better lens because I am affraid that the results will be the same. I was interested to get some feedback from Pentax users... Now the K3 is in service. I will see whats wrong with K3. But maybe my mystake... but see the picture made by hand... Itīs bad for K3.
Well...the Coolpix A is a high-end APS-C camera with a fixed-focal length lens, so at f/8 it should compete with anything out there. I have a large print at home made from one, and it looks gorgeous.

That being said, I would expect with at least the Sigma you can get more detail from the K3. In addition to the scene being hard to assess (lots of opportunity for chromatic aberrations, flare, etc.) you may want to look into how you resized those images.

02-03-2015, 08:38 AM - 1 Like   #20
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Did you really want to see the images of a guy who can't get good pictures with a K-3? On the other hand maybe he does need some help. I guess the first time you put images up in can be a challenge. Who knows what's going on?
In order to assist him, his images posted would be helpful. And yes; putting images up on a site for the first time can be challenging! Let's give him the opportunity to get assistance!
02-03-2015, 08:39 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote

Not the Coolpix A

Well...the Coolpix A is a high-end APS-C camera with a fixed-focal length lens, so at f/8 it should compete with anything out there. I have a large print at home made from one, and it looks gorgeous.

That being said, I would expect with at least the Sigma you can get more detail from the K3. In addition to the scene being hard to assess (lots of opportunity for chromatic aberrations, flare, etc.) you may want to look into how you resized those images.
Thanks for the correction. I guess since those two have the same sensor types... the difference could be in the lens.
02-03-2015, 08:41 AM - 1 Like   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
There seems to be movement blur on the children. The spires have abberations as well, the light is coming from behind and some flaring is apparent on the upper right.

There isn't any shutter speed indication.

Not a trivial shot to take, tough lighting conditions. Everything that could go wrong would be made unpleasantly worst by movement blur. Start with that.

Are you shooting raw? The noise is easy to fix post.
18 mm, f8. Iso: 400 with pentax and Iso: 800 with Nikon

---------- Post added 02-03-15 at 04:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
The aperture setting of F8 on a P&S small sensor camera is not the same as F8 on the K-3 (APS-C sensor) as discussed in other threads. I can do the same comparison of my Q and the k-3; it is a trade off, do you want to have everything sharp or do you want subject isolation?
My friend, Nikon Coolpix A is APS-C sensor
02-03-2015, 08:46 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Yours isn't an uncommon complaint. Read this comment and what was done to improve the situation.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/282441-k3-concerns-resolved-completely.html

There are many similar threads. What you will find is that the K-3 takes exactly the shot you set it to do, and the high resolution will show you every mistake you made. And it will show every flaw in your lens.
To the OP, first, I understand your frustration, when you buy an expensive high end DSLR you want it to work. However, based on your sample photos, this test is really worthless. For one, it's apparent no metering was done, it was just point and click. The Nikon was lucky in that it did a better job of metering for the backlit scene. Maybe because the sun changed position, maybe a cloud covered a bit of the sun. The K3 requires a medium level of technical expertise, it really wasn't designed to be put on Green and shoot away.

It's also 24 MP sensor and if your lenses aren't calibrated, if your technique isn't sound, it shows. That's basically the moral of about 2 dozens threads. They all start out, "The K3 is horrible." They all end, "Oops, my bad, it was me that sucked."

if you want to do a real and fair comparison, start by using a tripod. Next, understand metering and set up the K3 to meter appropriately, Third, calibrate your lenses with the K3. to compare a fixed lens camera to a straight out of the box, factory preset K3 with the kit lens handheld is setting yourself up for failure.

There is a methodology to doing side by side comparisons, and there is a methodology to getting stellar results from a K3. The sample images you have provided indicate none were followed in the making of this post.

02-03-2015, 08:47 AM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote

Not the Coolpix A

We resized images to 12Mpix, 16Mpix and Full version. The Nikon Coolpix A was better... but donīt warry... Nikon Coolpix is Cool Stuff but hou can I take pictures from K3. has anybody some good raw picture to send me to look at it?
02-03-2015, 08:52 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Again, you did a straight RAW conversion. RAW images have everything the camera took in in the data, and just doing a straight JPG shift without doing anyactual postwork (contrast, saturation, sharpnes, etc) is going to give you an awful result.

Try setting the camera to JPG and see what you get from the in-camera processing, I'd bet they'll be worlds better then the ones you posted without any postwork done to them.

A RAW/DNG file is kind of like an unstirred soup. It has everything in it, but its not prioritized or made 'nice' in any way to be really palatable. You need to spend a little time (usually only a few seconds) to get that image how you want it. Think of the RAW as an unprocessed negative in a darkroom. Unless you actually process it (ie, do some port process work), its not going to be much use to you.

Is there any chance you could post a RAW file from the K-3? To me it looks pretty much like user error and not the camera (not meant to be a slam here) itself, only because there was a missed step in the process of getting the shots off the camera and into something useful.
02-03-2015, 08:54 AM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
To the OP, first, I understand your frustration, when you buy an expensive high end DSLR you want it to work. However, based on your sample photos, this test is really worthless. For one, it's apparent no metering was done, it was just point and click. The Nikon was lucky in that it did a better job of metering for the backlit scene. Maybe because the sun changed position, maybe a cloud covered a bit of the sun. The K3 requires a medium level of technical expertise, it really wasn't designed to be put on Green and shoot away.

It's also 24 MP sensor and if your lenses aren't calibrated, if your technique isn't sound, it shows. That's basically the moral of about 2 dozens threads. They all start out, "The K3 is horrible." They all end, "Oops, my bad, it was me that sucked."

if you want to do a real and fair comparison, start by using a tripod. Next, understand metering and set up the K3 to meter appropriately, Third, calibrate your lenses with the K3. to compare a fixed lens camera to a straight out of the box, factory preset K3 with the kit lens handheld is setting yourself up for failure.

There is a methodology to doing side by side comparisons, and there is a methodology to getting stellar results from a K3. The sample images you have provided indicate none were followed in the making of this post.
I did many pictures, allways the same, Nikon perfect a nd Pentax wrong. The Cathedral was made only from hand but other photos was took from tripod. We tested Nikon 810, Sigma 35, and Coolpix with Pentax. Maybe I have really wrong piece of K3. The pictures from K3 are really horrible. So nobody here has the the problems... OK... I will talk to service. They also sayed that the photos are bad... nobody knows why...
02-03-2015, 08:55 AM   #27
Pentaxian

We resized images to 12Mpix, 16Mpix and Full version. The Nikon Coolpix A was better... but donīt warry... Nikon Coolpix is Cool Stuff but hou can I take pictures from K3. has anybody some good raw picture to send me to look at it?
I'll pull out my go-to for showing a straight RAW vs worked RAW shot here...

First is the unworked image, second was after post processing was done. These were taken with a K-x, a K-3 would have probably fared a bit better.

02-03-2015, 09:06 AM   #28

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
I'll pull out my go-to for showing a straight RAW vs worked RAW shot here...

First is the unworked image, second was after post processing was done. These were taken with a K-x, a K-3 would have probably fared a bit better.

Nice flash, but architecture will be better to compare it...
02-03-2015, 09:13 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Nice flash, but architecture will be better to compare it...
I'll tell you what. I'm getting my K-3 any minute now (UPS is running late, camera was due in by 10:30, its now almost 11:30) and as soon as I have it charged and ready, I'll go outside, take a photo of the church next door (one with the K-3, one with my PowerShot) and post the Canon, unprocessed K-3 RAW shot, and then one I took a little time to work on after the fact.

I'll even deliberately blow out the highlights with the K-3 by green-buttoning things just to even the score a bit and not give the K-3 that huge of an advantage.

Now I just have to wait for UPS to get here...
02-03-2015, 09:18 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Without spending too much time on this, but have to admit, the images did make me curious, but here's what I noticed.

The Coolpix image is taken at 1/400 sec. 800 ISO, f8, Jan1st at 18.5mm 4.07

the K-3 image is taken at 1/80 of a second, Jan 31, @ F11, at 3:12. That's 2.5 stops different in exposure time, one ƒ stop different and 30 days different.

SO to start with, you have different light conditions. The possibility that hand shake affected your image is pretty hard to ignore, with one shot at 1/80 and one shot at 1/400. The fact that one is shot at ƒ8 and one at ƒ11.... you may have lost resolution to diffraction, the difference between ƒ8 and 11 can be pretty dramatic on APS-c. ( On K-5 though, the falloff between ƒ8 and ƒ11 is pretty minimal, I have access to no tests using the 18-55 on a K-3). On the full size images I just don't see the noise, plus looking at the EXIF, the Nikon was taken using a low gain control, which will create and advantage for a back lit subject.

Despite that.... you can still do a better image with the K-3. What you've done here is a classic example of why you really have to be careful doing comparisons. Your conclusions and mine would be completely different. You claim it's the camera, I say it's the technique. So is this just you didn't know what you were doing, or were these differences intentional. Maybe you could tell us who the professional photographer was who botched the K-3 image? I'm sure we'd all like to avoid him in the future.

Oh and for future reference, next time you label an image incorrectly, putting ƒ8 on an ƒ11 image, prepare to be thoroughly ridiculed. I've made similar mistakes , and it isn't pleasant. Or to put it differently, having gone through your exif for you to check things out, I'm not sure you're the kind of guy that should be making this kind of comparison.

K-3 image... I can fudge my results as good as anyone. I just don't. (Although I did here, just to make a point.I could have made the Coolpix image look just a s good or better) (incorrect exif info removed.)

Last edited by normhead; 02-03-2015 at 10:13 AM.
Closed Thread