Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2015, 07:02 PM   #61
Pentaxian
Digitalis's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Adelaide.
Posts: 8,792
The lens ( sigma 18-35mm f/1.8) is known to suffer from focus issues, I don't think the camera is entirely to blame here. The 18-55 WR is also a slow lens, which would make the camera choose higher ISOs than normal - contributing to noise.

In experienced hands the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 can be an excellent lens, but in the hands of the inexperienced - even the best lenses ever made for 35mm can be hampered by poor technique and lack of basic photographic knowledge.


Pentax K5IIS - Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 ART @ f/1.8

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
does anyone else smell a troll?
I was going to say something else... IDIOT

If someone is happy with the results they are getting from a simpler camera then by all means they should stick to it, why change something that isn't broken? - but as soon as they start saying that a more advanced camera isn't as good you know there is something rotten in the state of Denmark.




Last edited by Digitalis; 02-03-2015 at 07:14 PM.
02-03-2015, 07:31 PM   #62
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,821
Exactly.... he has ignored a lot of really good advice and a lot of good example photos..... "something is going on here but you don't know what it is" Bob Dylan.. "Wait a minute, something's not right here" Jack Bauer

But on the odd chance he isn't......

Go back, shoot the church again.....
Use a tripod with the 2 second shutter delay.
Shoot at 200 ISO and ƒ5.6 with the camera set to AV. Make sure the AF is turned on.
Use selective autofocus and use one of the lowest cross points.

Take a picture with your Coolpix A at the same time. The two second delay should get you pretty close.

If you do that, and bring us the result we can probably figure out what's wrong.
02-03-2015, 11:53 PM - 1 Like   #63
Veteran Member
sterretje's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Roodepoort, South Africa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,534
There are three (or four) things involved, photographer, camera and lens; maybe a 4th one is post processing. Any of them can be 'faulty'. If you're convinced the camera or the lens is faulty (it is a viable possibility), take it / them back (as said by others before).

If you're not sure, take plenty photos (if needed with the coolpix and the K3) and check. Reset camera to default settings, shoot jpeg or raw plus jpeg; the resulting jpegs should be quite OK. Use the kit lens at first.

Do some controlled tests if you suspect focusing issues and adjust camera/lens combination for front/back focus if needed. For the Sigma 18-35, I think it was already mentioned that it might have issues that can be corrected; for the K3, follow the linked thread 'k3 concerns resolved completely' and see if it helps.

I don't have a K3 so can't further advise. I initially was also disappointed with the FA31Ltd; pictures were just not what I expected. Front/back focus adjustment helped end I eventually got to understand the lens and am a happy camper.
02-04-2015, 12:06 AM   #64
Junior Member




Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 41
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Exactly.... he has ignored a lot of really good advice and a lot of good example photos..... "something is going on here but you don't know what it is" Bob Dylan.. "Wait a minute, something's not right here" Jack Bauer

But on the odd chance he isn't......

Go back, shoot the church again.....
Use a tripod with the 2 second shutter delay.
Shoot at 200 ISO and ƒ5.6 with the camera set to AV. Make sure the AF is turned on.
Use selective autofocus and use one of the lowest cross points.

Take a picture with your Coolpix A at the same time. The two second delay should get you pretty close.

If you do that, and bring us the result we can probably figure out what's wrong.
Thank you for your help, but everything was already done. I will wait till the service finish testing. I cant get any advice from you becouse everything was already said. AND ME AND MY COLLEAGUE USED THE TRIPOD TOO but not in front of the cathedral. There are two tests, one from tripod, building and trees and then I shoot example by hand in front of cathedral. So I will wait... and I will check the pictures posted here...

---------- Post added 02-04-15 at 08:07 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Exactly.... he has ignored a lot of really good advice and a lot of good example photos..... "something is going on here but you don't know what it is" Bob Dylan.. "Wait a minute, something's not right here" Jack Bauer

But on the odd chance he isn't......

Go back, shoot the church again.....
Use a tripod with the 2 second shutter delay.
Shoot at 200 ISO and ƒ5.6 with the camera set to AV. Make sure the AF is turned on.
Use selective autofocus and use one of the lowest cross points.

Take a picture with your Coolpix A at the same time. The two second delay should get you pretty close.

If you do that, and bring us the result we can probably figure out what's wrong.
I will try it but why iso200. I can use iso 100 with tripod...

---------- Post added 02-04-15 at 08:12 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
Wait, a pro took that photo for you using your camera?


I'm wondering if he wasn't familiar with Pentax? Or maybe claimed to be a pro but was not?

There are a LOT of issues with that shot, many detectable straight from the EXIF alone (shot too slow, highlights blown meaning it wasn't exposed properly, etc). I'm wondering if the shake was introduced because they never shut the shake reduction off on you - if you leave SR on when you mount the camera on a tripod, the SR will actually degrade the image since it will try to eliminate shake that isn't there (ie, it'll cause blur).

FWIW, I just snapped some shots of my kids using the kit lens, and I can't complain about the IQ for them at all. I'd post to show 'em, but they're in their diapers.
SR is off automaticaly after you switch 2 second delay. It was also checked... this is information for everybody who wants to help be but never had K3 in hthair hands :-P

But I will stop to continue. I will wait for the service information...

02-04-2015, 01:11 AM   #65
Junior Member




Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 41
Original Poster
The 1/80 is my fault... but the pictures was done in the same day, in the same time and in the same condition. Its good for Pentax fans not to see it in ISO800. Its more worse... The test from hand was only snapshot, So the relevant test was made on tripod and all aperatures was failed with K3. But donīt worry, I donīt want to be attacked. I will wait for the service results. Itīs pleasure that anyone here doesnīt have the problem with sharpness and blur. But do they really have some comparison? I am not sure. Actually I was talking to some people and they are litle bit dissapointed with iso too. But now I have to wait and I can check the pictures from some people here... Thx all for samples, I will go through...

---------- Post added 02-04-15 at 09:31 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
When you have 20 people say "I think its user error" you need to at least consider it as a possibility.

I'm going to go put my 18-55 on the camera and see what happens. The kit lens is bad, but its not usually THAT bad.
The service company in the Czech says that the kit 18-55WR is only cover, not good lens :-D
02-04-2015, 05:16 AM   #66
Pentaxian
Sagitta's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Maine
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,939
I dunno... my 18-55 served me well until I wound up with stuff that replaced the focal length for me. As far as kit lenses go, it's probably better than both Canon and Nikon's offerings as kits.

These are all 18-55mm shots I've made. Mine is the non-WR model, which is supposedly lower tier than the WR one. (I think they're the same, but hey...) That lens serve(d) me as my go-to landscape lens for a long time. The only reason it still doesn't is because I picked up something wider.




This bench shot was the first one I ever took with a DSLR (outside of test shots in the house). I had absolutely no clue what I was doing at the time, as my only experience prior had been with film 15 years prior.








02-05-2015, 11:29 AM - 1 Like   #67
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,457
I find this thread very very interesting !
My K3 was a huge disappointment ! Everything was not working right ! ALL my photos just plain sucked ! My images looked like they had Vaseline smeared on them !
This K3 sucked so bad....I hated it ! It couldn't take good images no matter what ! Bad Bad Camera........
My sensor rattled , SR was affecting quality , and quality glass wasn't performing up to par at all like on my K30. All the buttons were in the wrong place. It was a stupid stupid Camera and not worth $25 bucks ! Pentax created a Flagship piece of crap and stuck the K3 name on it.....it was horrible garbage. A complete waste of $$$$.


But then my really bad camera had something wonderful happen..............................I asked for help !
The difference being is I had an open mind and listened to advice from forum members.
Miracles DO happen......My camera was somehow healed of all its problems........ALL of them in every way.......... It was a complete miracle !
It sounds to me like you would be much better off just ditching it on Ebay and buying some other brand. And be sure and keep letting this "Professional" photographer take photos for you. That will solve all your problems.
I have a hunch that when your camera comes back ? Its going to have the exact same problem........ Its not your fault.......Its just a bad bad camera !
If you would like to sell it ? Let me know and I could offer you a fair price for a defective body on such a piece of crap. PM me when your ready to sell.....OK.?
02-05-2015, 01:07 PM   #68
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,457
QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
I dunno... my 18-55 served me well until I wound up with stuff that replaced the focal length for me. As far as kit lenses go, it's probably better than both Canon and Nikon's offerings as kits.

These are all 18-55mm shots I've made. Mine is the non-WR model, which is supposedly lower tier than the WR one. (I think they're the same, but hey...) That lens serve(d) me as my go-to landscape lens for a long time. The only reason it still doesn't is because I picked up something wider.
Very Nice ! I now realize just what a dufus I was because I sold my 18-55 WR....when I saw your Pics I was suprised.....Thanks , and well done !

02-05-2015, 03:21 PM   #69
Junior Member




Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 41
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
I find this thread very very interesting !
My K3 was a huge disappointment ! Everything was not working right ! ALL my photos just plain sucked ! My images looked like they had Vaseline smeared on them !
This K3 sucked so bad....I hated it ! It couldn't take good images no matter what ! Bad Bad Camera........
My sensor rattled , SR was affecting quality , and quality glass wasn't performing up to par at all like on my K30. All the buttons were in the wrong place. It was a stupid stupid Camera and not worth $25 bucks ! Pentax created a Flagship piece of crap and stuck the K3 name on it.....it was horrible garbage. A complete waste of $$$$.


But then my really bad camera had something wonderful happen..............................I asked for help !
The difference being is I had an open mind and listened to advice from forum members.
Miracles DO happen......My camera was somehow healed of all its problems........ALL of them in every way.......... It was a complete miracle !
It sounds to me like you would be much better off just ditching it on Ebay and buying some other brand. And be sure and keep letting this "Professional" photographer take photos for you. That will solve all your problems.
I have a hunch that when your camera comes back ? Its going to have the exact same problem........ Its not your fault.......Its just a bad bad camera !
If you would like to sell it ? Let me know and I could offer you a fair price for a defective body on such a piece of crap. PM me when your ready to sell.....OK.?
I opened my mind and I realised that the members of this forum are little bit strange and blind...
02-05-2015, 03:27 PM   #70
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,434
QuoteOriginally posted by FunnyUncle Quote
The 1/80 is my fault... but the pictures was done in the same day, in the same time and in the same condition. Its good for Pentax fans not to see it in ISO800. Its more worse... The test from hand was only snapshot, So the relevant test was made on tripod and all aperatures was failed with K3. But donīt worry, I donīt want to be attacked. I will wait for the service results. Itīs pleasure that anyone here doesnīt have the problem with sharpness and blur. But do they really have some comparison? I am not sure. Actually I was talking to some people and they are litle bit dissapointed with iso too. But now I have to wait and I can check the pictures from some people here... Thx all for samples, I will go through...
here's a high iso example for comparison. iso 3200+ handheld with a K3. no processing other than auto adjustments in ACR.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/286972-machinery-mons...-part-1-a.html

another example - shot at f4 1/2 sec iso 6400. it's been cleaned up with light NR, but I have already had this printed at 40x12 and not a single dot of noise in the sky


Last edited by nomadkng; 02-05-2015 at 03:38 PM.
02-05-2015, 03:41 PM   #71
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 72
I haven't read every post in this thread but after scanning I did not see mention of turning the Noise Reduction from Auto to OFF. I had similiar problems until I found a Youtube video describing the different noise reduction characteristics between the K5 and the then new K3.


Last edited by CheepShot; 02-05-2015 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Added link to Youtube video
02-05-2015, 03:43 PM - 1 Like   #72
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,821
QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
Very Nice ! I now realize just what a dufus I was because I sold my 18-55 WR....when I saw your Pics I was suprised.....Thanks , and well done !
When you look at the photozone numbers, you really wonder why more people don't use the 18-55. Really, it's not a bad lens. I stopped using it because anywhere I can use the 18-55 I can use the 18-135, with more reach and flexibility. Not because I thought the lens sucked.







Slideshow....

If you can't get good images with a kit lens... it's not the lens,

Last edited by normhead; 02-05-2015 at 05:41 PM.
02-05-2015, 03:44 PM   #73
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,434
QuoteOriginally posted by CheepShot Quote
I haven't read every post in this thread but after scanning I did not see mention of turning the Noise Reduction from Auto to OFF. I had similiar problems until I found a Youtube video describing the different noise reduction characteristics between the K5 and the then new K3.
good point. I have my NR off until 3200, and even then it's "light"
02-05-2015, 04:04 PM - 1 Like   #74
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 16,216
The kit lens isn't great, but certainly at f8, it should be decent.

I would just hesitate to say that the camera is the issue. I have taken many photos with my K3 and it is a very capable camera. This is a shot with the DA * 16-50 that I took a couple of weeks ago.

02-05-2015, 04:13 PM   #75
Junior Member




Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 41
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
good point. I have my NR off until 3200, and even then it's "light"
During the taking pictures all noise reduction was of. Is it possible to see your pictures in full resolution samewhere? Tomorrow I will get K3 back from service. I hope I will get feedback what was wrong. But still I do not doubt about my skills, I can do good pictures with many cameras. But thx for your support. I am opened to learn more...

---------- Post added 02-06-15 at 12:22 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The kit lens isn't great, but certainly at f8, it should be decent.

I would just hesitate to say that the camera is the issue. I have taken many photos with my K3 and it is a very capable camera. This is a shot with the DA * 16-50 that I took a couple of weeks ago.

I like the atmopsphere of the picture. And the output looks clear and sharp. I was surpriced that my photos aren' t sharp everywhere with f8 and f11.

---------- Post added 02-06-15 at 12:26 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
When you look at the protozone numbers, you really wonder why more people don't use the 18-55. Really, it's not a bad lens. I stopped using it because anywhere I can use the 18-55 I can use the 18-135, with more reach and flexibility. Not because I thought the lens sucked.







Slideshow....

If you can't get good images with a kit lens... it's not the lens,
I checked the slideshow and I like puctures a lot. Did you do some postproduction? It looks clear but sometimes the sensor has dust.
Closed Thread

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
advice, aps-c, art, bad images, camera, coolpix, focus, hand, images, iso, k-3, k3, k3 low image, nikon, no sharp, noise, pentax, pentax help, photography, pictures, pm, reason, sensor, sharpness, sigma, test, troll, troubleshooting
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Too much K-3 (K3 + Coffee Review) Deedee Pentax K-3 23 03-07-2014 09:50 AM
Best Compact Camera For Image Quality & Low Noise reivax Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 3 01-05-2014 10:03 PM
K3 image quality confusion larkis Pentax K-3 16 11-14-2013 03:53 PM
K5 - too much noise? rreader Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 24 12-10-2011 06:37 AM
Too much noise in KM/K2000 soalle Pentax DSLR Discussion 17 07-10-2009 05:06 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:19 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top