Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2015, 07:26 AM - 1 Like   #16

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Then you have totally misread my post.
Oh and by the way, this is not just my advise - it is recommended to me by pros all across the web.
Google it or watch it on YouTube if you wish.
This was the comment I thought was inaccurate

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
UV filters aren't very good at protecting the lens front element and can actually result in scratches if the filter get's smashed. Use a hood instead.
What I meant that the force that smashes the filter would more than likely also smash your front element, or atleast scratch it. Can you name one situation where a filter is smashed but a front element would not be affected, because I can think of none.

That said I agree that a hood protects and gives better pictures, but a hood won't protect from everything. I have a small child... And he loves to put his little fingers on the lens as soon as he has the chance to. With a filter I don't have to clean grease marks from the front element with a cloth. Instead I can unscrew the filter and clean it under water with a mild soap instead. This means I don't have to clean the lens, just a filter. And comparing my $1000 dollar lenses and my $60 filters I'd rather have to change filter once in a while than buy a new lens. The thing is that there is always dust, water, fingers, pollen or something that will get on to your front element, no matter how hard you try to avoid it. But depending on where and what you shoot you might be able to cope with it without a filter, but for my style of photography I would have scratched several lenses. I've changed filters on the following lenses due to mishaps:

FA*28-70MM (sandcovered finger over trying to grab the camera, lots of small scratches on the filter, hood on the lens)
DFA 100MM WR (lost footing while shooting moss, sharp pointy stone under the moss made a mark, hood on the lens)
FA50MM (lost footing while shooting a barbed wire fence, scratch all over the filter, only rubber hood on this lens so it just folded)

The FA* is 67mm and maybe $60 or so for a B+W MRC nano, the FA 50 and DFA 100 is 49mm and $45 for a B+W mrc nano.

I have done some serious pixel peeping in my photo course, using high end filters from manufacturers like B+W, mid range like hoya and low end nonames. When it comes to light loss and image quality B+W and Hoya were almost none detectable. The cheap one we had softened the image to the grade that is was detectable quite easily.

When we discuss reflections and flares B+W never showed anything more than the naked lens, despite really, REALLY trying, without hood and everything, the hoya was quite good as long as the hood was on, once removed we could provoke some reflections and we noticed some hightened sensitivity to flares. Once again the cheap one really didn't do a good job. reflections was a problem as was flares.

02-24-2015, 01:52 PM   #17

Original Poster
Discharged > Thanks for the follow up!

Hi Discharged

Thank you for further clarifying your point on this issue. I am solidly in your "camp", even if I have to leave the filter on until just when I'm ready to go out and shoot. My belief is always better safe than sorry. In fact, I can think of one example where the filter would break and the lens would be protected.

For example if you were wearing your camera around your neck and have the camera at waist level, It could be hit by something as simple as a door knob. This would probably shatter or crack the filter but would have no effect on the actual lens elements.

I think what it mostly boils down to is personal preference anyway so I appreciate your point of view, which I happen to agree with. Thanks for following up on my post.

Take good care,

~Antonio
02-27-2015, 08:54 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
But, oh dear, imagine the effect of tiny, sharp pieces of filter glass on the front element of your lens. Especially if they are bring pushed by the doorknob... Don't use filters as protection against that kind of damage, used a lens cap. Or do what I do, which is to hold the front on the lens gently as I wander about - this stops me from losing the lens cap, prevents zoom creep, stops the camera from swinging about crazily as I wander, and means I can remove the cap quickly if I see an urgent shot.

Real photographers always keep their hands on their tools...