Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2015, 02:09 PM   #1

Must I Clean the Lens and Filter Before Attaching Filter?

Hello everyone

I am new to these forums and I have just acquired a Pentax K3 with an 18 to 135mm lens. Although I have learned a lot by reading previous posts, I still have a question in my head that I can't seem to find the answer to.

My question is this: I purchased a UV filter for the purposes of protecting the lens. Do I need to clean the filter or the lens before putting the filter on? I asked this question because I wonder if there may be some residue left by the factory production that might interfere with the photographic process.

I am asking this question because the lens is brand-new and never been taken out, and I am totally new to this type of set up.

Thank you very much for your kind consideration of my inquiry. I look forward to and will await your reply.

~Antonio :-)

02-07-2015, 02:29 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There should absolutely not be any "residue" on the lens, nor on the filter if it's a quality filter. Just put the new filter on that new lens and you'll be good to go, and enjoy your excellent purchase. Hope to see many pics and postings...
02-07-2015, 02:51 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you, demondata! I will do just that! Take good care.
02-07-2015, 03:00 PM   #4

Why brand-new filters come dirty?

I just finished cleaning my brand-new Marumi Digital PRO Lens Protect Ultra slim brass MC 77mm filter to be put on SMC DA 12-24mm/4.0
Taken out of the box, filter had some strange hazy 'pattern' on it, visible in reflective light, like from storing glass between two layers of foam or similar packing material.
I use just pure well-used soft cotton fabric for cleaning coated glass. Please keep in mind I'm doing that for last 30 years

-----
QuoteOriginally posted by AntonioD Quote
I purchased a UV filter for the purposes of protecting the lens. Do I need to clean the filter or the lens before putting the filter on? I asked this question because I wonder if there may be some residue left by the factory production that might interfere with the photographic process. I am asking this question because the lens is brand-new and never been taken out, and I am totally new to this type of set up.

02-07-2015, 03:47 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
I would reccomend using your eyes here, if you can't see anything that warrants cleaning then don't clean. I try to avoid cleaning with a cloth as much as possible because it might create micro scratches if there is anything on the cloth. I primarily use a blower. Never try to blow dust away with your mouth because you might get saliva on the lens instead. Ofc that wont work if aomeone puts a finger on the optics...

And that is why all my lenses are filtered, always. I use b+w filters with brass threading because it does not stick to the lens threads as other filters might. I am aware that you get some light loss, from 1-3% aprox but I think it is worth the "cost". A recommendation is to get filters with external threads so you can add other filters hoods etc.
02-07-2015, 05:09 PM   #6
Pentaxian

UV filters aren't very good at protecting the lens front element and can actually result in scratches if the filter get's smashed. Use a hood instead.
02-07-2015, 05:18 PM   #7
Site Supporter

If there is no visible need to clean you may just want to use a rocket blower (not canned air!) to remove any dust from the lens and filter.
02-08-2015, 02:12 AM - 1 Like   #8

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
UV filters aren't very good at protecting the lens front element and can actually result in scratches if the filter get's smashed. Use a hood instead.
Wow! So a force that smashes a filter would do nothing to the front element of your lens?

I would not listen to this advise, in my experience it is nowhere near correct.

02-08-2015, 03:03 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by discharged Quote
Wow! So a force that smashes a filter would do nothing to the front element of your lens?

I would not listen to this advise, in my experience it is nowhere near correct.
Then you have totally misread my post.
Oh and by the way, this is not just my advise - it is recommended to me by pros all across the web.
Google it or watch it on YouTube if you wish.
02-08-2015, 07:23 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Assuming both lens and filter are new, just make sure there is no dust by using a blower to blow away any dust that has landed on either lens or filter while you have had them out of the boxes.
02-08-2015, 07:49 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AntonioD Quote
Hello everyone

I am new to these forums and I have just acquired a Pentax K3 with an 18 to 135mm lens. Although I have learned a lot by reading previous posts, I still have a question in my head that I can't seem to find the answer to.

My question is this: I purchased a UV filter for the purposes of protecting the lens. Do I need to clean the filter or the lens before putting the filter on? I asked this question because I wonder if there may be some residue left by the factory production that might interfere with the photographic process.

I am asking this question because the lens is brand-new and never been taken out, and I am totally new to this type of set up.

Thank you very much for your kind consideration of my inquiry. I look forward to and will await your reply.

~Antonio :-)
There should not be any residue on your lens, however the UV filter may interfere with image quality. Steve is right, the hood will protect your lens. It is entirely possible that an accident could happen to damage the lens even with a hood or filter attached, but if the camera is dropped lens down, the hood will cushion the blow, it will most likely break, but it will absorb a lot of energy of the impact. A UV filter would definitely be helpful in a windy and sandy area, but in most conditions it is just adding a layer of glass to shoot through. The first new lens I bought was a DA 55-300, I also bought a UV filter to protect it. My excitement of the new lens was dampened when I looked at the first pictures, nothing was sharp. I happened to read w thread about UV filters and went out and took photos with the filter off and suddenly the pics were sharp. Obviously some filters are better than others. But UV protection was designed for film cameras, modern cameras and optics don't need it. Polarizing and ND filters are useful on digital, but UV adds nothing. There are a lot of people that use UV filter to protect there lens and if you want to go ahead, just know that you could be affecting your image quality.
02-08-2015, 08:44 AM   #12
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

I had always used a quality filter to protect my lens. Now, I do not; rather leave the hoods on the lens for protection. I use a soft "bootie" over the hoods to keep dust, etc. off the lens when not in use. There's always a debate as to whether a filter degrades the image; bear in mind, there are many filters to choose from, and many can indeed degrade the image; while with others (high end), the results are hard to see.

We all protect our lenses in the manner we feel comfortable with; no right or wrong, just what works for you.

I do agree with others, simply check your lens & filter to see if they are clean. A rocket blower is great for dislodging dust without wiping or touching the glass!
02-08-2015, 10:01 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I used to use protective filters till I realized that they caused reflections; I had some shots with two moons.

After I found that, I removed them and will only use a protective filter in very adverse conditions like a sandstorm on th beach.
02-08-2015, 10:38 AM   #14
Pentaxian

+1 that a hood is the best protection. It protects while improving image quality. A UV filter's marginal protection decreases image quality due to contrast loss and reflections (the light loss is insignificant).

A UV filter is good in special environments like sand storms, salt spray, chemical exposure. In regular conditions, most things that will damage your lens will still damage the lens+filter. A filter doesn't protect against drops. Use a lens cap when the camera is in your bag, never store keys or other metal objects in the camera bag, don't clean the optics too often.
02-20-2015, 03:52 PM   #15

Original Poster
Thank you for all the posts after the demondata's; they were very insightful and the discussion that ensued was very enlightening. I did purchase a B&W UV filter for the lens, so from what I read here, that should be a pretty good brand. However, I will take all of your advice and try taking some photos with and without the UV filter to see what results I achieve. Best regards, ~Antonio