Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2015, 01:20 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
How to recover data from an apparently corrupted memory card?

While on vacation, my 32gb (off brand) memory card developed a gap in the sequence of images ie no 50 to 100 . Also, there are a number of images that when I try to review them the LCD says something like "this image can not be displayed". And then, after I take a photo, I can review it but then after I take another photo, the previous photo can not be seen in the review mode. Instead, it now gives me that error message.

I put on my 4gb EyeFi card and that works properly. So I am assuming it is the card.

Does anyone here have any experience with something like this and any recommendations?

Thanks.

02-08-2015, 02:04 PM   #2
Site Supporter

6 data recovery tools for SD cards, USB drives and more | Computerworld

There are 6 options and a brief review of each, some are free. Photorec (free) has recovered the most for me but a little complicated to use compared to some of the others. Recuva (free) has an easier interface, but didn't recover as much as Photorec for me.
02-08-2015, 02:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bladerunner6 Quote
While on vacation, my 32gb (off brand) memory card developed a gap in the sequence of images ie no 50 to 100 . Also, there are a number of images that when I try to review them the LCD says something like "this image can not be displayed". And then, after I take a photo, I can review it but then after I take another photo, the previous photo can not be seen in the review mode. Instead, it now gives me that error message.

I put on my 4gb EyeFi card and that works properly. So I am assuming it is the card.

Does anyone here have any experience with something like this and any recommendations?

Thanks.
There's a number of photo recovery programs available. Some are free, some you have to pay for.

Recuva is one program I've used that has worked, but not in every case of SD corruption. I've also used Photorec. In cases of very severe corruption, neither of these programs would work.

Here's an article listing some options:
Best free recovery software: 10 top programs to get your deleted files back: | Applications News | TechRadar

I used to have a lot of trouble with this kind of thing with my K200D, so I've tried a number of these free options. In cases where I didn't notice the corruption right away ( and kept shooting ), things often got
buggered up so badly that these programs wouldn't recover the "missing" photos.

Usually, if I noticed the error right when it happened, and swapped out the card immediately, Photorec or Recuva would work. If I didn't notice soon enough, they sometimes wouldn't.

I did find another program that worked for those special cases, but I can't remember the name now, and it's not installed on this computer.

Probably the best program I've used is one for which I got a free 1 year subscription when I bought a Sandisk Extreme card - Rescue Pro Deluxe. I never needed it for the Extreme card itself, but I used it on one of my older Sandisk Ultra cards. My K200D would never exhibit the memory corruption problems once I started using Sandisk Extreme cards. I don't know if they still give out free subscriptions with card purchases, but it might be worth getting a new card ( you can always use a spare ), and save yourself several hours of mucking around trying different free programs.

It can be a slow and tedious process, but keep trying. For a 32G card, some of these programs will take a long time to go through the card. They will try to recover everything that was ever on the card, not just the these specific missing files.

You may not get all your shots back. I was usually able to get most of mine back.

Good luck.

P.S. - read reviews of free programs before installing and trying them. Apparently a common tactic used by some of these "free" programs is that you install them, and run them, and after they show you the thumbnails of all your recovered photos, they don't let you save them unless you pay their subscription fee.

Last edited by arkav; 02-08-2015 at 02:16 PM.
02-08-2015, 05:08 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A while ago I pressed "delete" by mistake on the camera and I thought I lost all the photos. I've tried many of these programs and Recuva worked the best for me. It's the only one I leave installed on my computer and I uninstalled the others.

Just my .02

obin

02-08-2015, 05:36 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I tested about five of the so-called best programs. Photorec beat them all hands down. Cross platform too, but it's worth running one or two of the others just in case they pick up something Photorec missed. Recuva is good but not as good as Photorec in my opinion.

I would stop using the card and use a card reader (built-in or add-on) on you Mac or PC to copy off as much as you can. Then try one or two of the recovery programs and save as much as they can recover.

Once you are satisfied you have recovered all that can be get SD Formatter and run a Full format on the card. This will initialize the file system parameter and the user data space. If the card is defective you should get write error warnings.

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

Note: do not run these with card in your camera through USB, run them in a card reader on your computer.
02-08-2015, 06:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Obin Robinson Quote
A while ago I pressed "delete" by mistake on the camera and I thought I lost all the photos. I've tried many of these programs and Recuva worked the best for me. It's the only one I leave installed on my computer and I uninstalled the others.
That's the best case scenario, and pretty much any recovery program should recover your photos from that mishap. If a card error occurs while the camera is writing files to the card, it can be trickier.

Like I said in my post, I had this happen multiple times when using cheaper cards in my old camera. Sometimes photorec or Recuva would work, other times they couldn't recover the missing files. For those cases, a more sophisticated program like Rescue Pro would work for me. I don't think I ever had a case where I lost more than 1 or 2 photos - and I think those would have been the ones that the camera was trying to store when the error occurred.

By all means, the OP should start with the free programs. If one of them works, excellent. If not, don't lose hope. If he really wants to recover those photos, there are other options he can try.
02-08-2015, 10:11 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks guys-this board rocks!
02-11-2015, 03:13 AM   #8
Banned

Since the problem is with the card, you should try a SD card recovery software. Stellar Phoenix Photo Recovery Software is a very reliable and effective recovery software which can recover lost or deleted photos and other multimedia files from your corrupt/formatted SD memory card. Only just remember to not use the affected device after data loss, until recovery process is complete. This will prevent the file from being overwritten and successfully recover your corrupt memory card.