Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2015, 07:28 PM   #1

Pentax k-x SD Card Formatting Help

Hello, I have a Pentax k-x DSLR camera that I recently bought over Amazon. When it came, I had no SD card to use with it. Wanting to jump right in, I inserted an old 8 GB Lexar card that I had used on multiple other devices. It worked great! I finally got around to buying a 64 GB Lexar card today, but when I went to reformat it the camera showed a loading bar for a split second before displaying "Memory Card Error." I've switched lenses, replaced the batteries, checked to make sure the sd card wasn't locked, and reformatted it directly on my computer. Nothing seems to be working. The card shows up fine on my Mac. When inserted into a 3DS, it couldn't even detect it. Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

02-10-2015, 07:43 PM   #2
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RealPotato Quote
Hello, I have a Pentax k-x DSLR camera that I recently bought over Amazon. When it came, I had no SD card to use with it. Wanting to jump right in, I inserted an old 8 GB Lexar card that I had used on multiple other devices. It worked great! I finally got around to buying a 64 GB Lexar card today, but when I went to reformat it the camera showed a loading bar for a split second before displaying "Memory Card Error." I've switched lenses, replaced the batteries, checked to make sure the sd card wasn't locked, and reformatted it directly on my computer. Nothing seems to be working. The card shows up fine on my Mac. When inserted into a 3DS, it couldn't even detect it. Any help would be appreciated, thank you!
Try this link. See post #9.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/191893-l...-card-k-x.html
What firmware do you have with your K-x? (Press and hold Menu then turn the camera on. It should show the fw version).
02-10-2015, 07:43 PM   #3
Emperor and Senpai

Have you updated your firmware to the latest on your Kx?
02-10-2015, 08:04 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K57XR Quote
Try this link. See post #9.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/191893-l...-card-k-x.html
What firmware do you have with your K-x? (Press and hold Menu then turn the camera on. It should show the fw version).
I have version 1.01, 1.03 is the latest right? I'll try to update it and see if that fixes the problem.

02-10-2015, 08:14 PM   #5
Site Supporter

I have version 1.01, 1.03 is the latest right? I'll try to update it and see if that fixes the problem.
Yes, I believe 1.03 is the latest. If you haven't done a firmware update before I suggest read the instructions carefully before proceeding, as this can potentially "brick" the camera if something goes wrong during the update process.
Good luck!
02-10-2015, 08:17 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K57XR Quote
Yes, I believe 1.03 is the latest. If you haven't done a firmware update before I suggest read the instructions carefully before proceeding, as this can potentially "brick" the camera if something goes wrong during the update process.
Good luck!
It formatted the card! Thank you so much for helping me!
02-10-2015, 09:05 PM   #7
Site Supporter

It formatted the card! Thank you so much for helping me!
good to hear!