Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2015, 01:35 AM   #16
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by arkav Quote
Well, it appears to work ( ie. PDCU will convert RAW files created with the K30 ). It makes you wonder why they didn't bundle it with the camera.
What surprises me isn't that PDCU 5 can convert raw files from the K-30, but that you have problems doing so with the software that came with the camera.

I think PDCU 5 (and probably 4 as well) was released after the K-30.

Good to hear you found a solution anyway!

02-17-2015, 04:19 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
What surprises me isn't that PDCU 5 can convert raw files from the K-30, but that you have problems doing so with the software that came with the camera.
I didn't say I had a problem converting the files. In fact, from a usability point of view, I like Silkypix a lot. But it won't open files I shoot with my K200D. And the PDCU 3.0 that came with the K200D won't open files from any recent cameras. It would be nice to get proficient with one converter and use that for all files rather than having to switch gears all the time. I could purchase Silkypix 6.0, which would handle files from both cameras, but I find I'm not quite happy with the rendering when I compare it to the camera's output. I always have my custom settings set to 'Natural', but there's something subtle about the colour and detail that I've been unable to match with other RAW converters. I've tried using a variety of settings in Silkypix, but I find I can't quite get rid of noise without losing fine much detail. I've had a similar problem with Rawtherapee.

I've tried a variety of programs. I recently installed DxO and it's promising. It doesn't match my workflow as well as Silkypix, but I like the output. I'll try PDCU 5.0, but I have a feeling the interface shortcomings will discourage me from using it extensively. But even with a sub-optimal interface, I like having the option of using something that will closely emulate the camera's rendering.
02-21-2015, 03:18 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by arkav Quote
I'll try PDCU 5.0, but I have a feeling the interface shortcomings will discourage me from using it extensively
I have just tested PDCU 5 with pef files from K100d, K100DS and Kx and all work.

More importantly jpgs extracted with V5 contain far more detail than those from V4 and in fact are at the same level as those extracted with Capture One Express.
I don`t find the interface of V5 quite as intuitve as V4 but the problem of virtually freezing when opening a folder with a large no. of files is fixed.
Definitely worth having a look at.