Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2015, 09:42 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Body or the lens?

Hello everyone
I am down in Costa Rica and having issues with my Sigma 70-200 2.8 ex apo on my K5 iis. Sometimes when I want to focus the lens only moves a little bit. I push the shutter half way down a bit and it does the same thing. It does this several times then sometimes it locks focus and sometimes not. If I move the focusing ring back and forth with my hands it will work fine then stop working properly again. Could this be the lens or the screw motor in the body? Other lenses seem to work fine but they are not as heavy as the 70-200 either.
I cleaned the body and lens contacts and it doesn't help.
We are checking out a place where the monkeys hang out so this is my go to lens if I can get it going.
Any and all opinions welcomed!

Thanks

Randy

02-12-2015, 09:51 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hard to be positive without the camera in my hands. But if other lenses are working, that seems to me to be the lens is the problem. Does it work with manual focus all the time? If you can manual focus is the focusing ring stiff? Maybe something bent or something stuck in the focusing helicoid.
02-12-2015, 10:39 AM   #3
jaz

I had problems focusing with a Sigma 170-500. It turned out that the tiny screws on the mount on the lens were loose. I tightened them with a precision screwdriver and the problem was solved. Maybe the weight of the lens loosened the screws.
02-12-2015, 12:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Clean the contacts of the lens if it is only this lens. Seems trivial but it can "cure" such problems occasionally.

02-12-2015, 02:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

As others said. Clean contacts (lens and body), check mount screws for tightness (lens and body) and test again. Does it happen just in one body? Do you have another body to test the lens separately?

I live in Costa Rica. Depending on where you are and your trip plans, perhaps we can arrange something to test lens by itself and maybe even have the service shop look at it. Let me know. I'll be checking this thread frequently.
02-13-2015, 04:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the help. Yes it was the contacts... But they needed to be cleaned with a lens cleaner before the lens would work.

Cheers

Randy