Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2015, 02:56 PM   #1

K-3 flash set-up second or more opinions

I have selected a tentative flash system for my K-3 that I would like as many opinions as possible so I can feel better about it.
Here it is:
YN560-11 FLASH UNIT
COWBOYSTUDIO NPT-04 HOT SHOE RECIEVER
COWBOYSTUDIO NPT-04 1 TRIGGER AND 2 RECIEVERS

I don't know if the hot shoe receiver is necessary ( explain what it's for if possible)
It seems that most everyone gets that when they order the triggers from amazon anyway.
I picked the yn560-11 since I won't be using the yn triggers.
I just want a simple system that I can do off camera flash and not rely on the optical
trigger from the on-cam flash.
I will have a remote to fire the shutter.
Will all this play well together.
I am open to an alternate package so fire away.

02-12-2015, 03:12 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi RodBoy,

You are definitely on the right track. I use the same setup you do (K-3, 2x560MKII, trigger & dual receivers). The flash is a great bargain: affordable, powerful, and versatile. I say versatile due to the zoom and swivel head that lets you direct the light, bouncing it off a wall, ceiling, or other surface. I use my flash with a RoundFlash beauty dish for portraits, and the flash is very capable of providing enough light for outdoor portraits and overpowering the sun (with a ND filter).

Keep in mind that this is a completely manual setup. You will have to adjust all settings on both the camera and the flash to get the proper exposure. Also, in bright light, you'll need to attach a ND filter to bring your shutter to 1/180 sec or lower in order for the K-3 to trigger your flash. Other systems, like Nikon, have a max sync speed of 1/250 sec.

Since you'll be working with off-camera flash, the world is your oyster. I don't know what lenses you have, but you can use the flash handheld, triggered from the camera, to setup some dramatic lighting or enhance lighting for macros and portraits.

Feel free to hit me up via PM with any questions you may have and I'll help you out.
02-12-2015, 03:31 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks Mr. B
Good to know I'm on the right track.
Do I really need the hot shoe receiver? What does that buy me exactly?
I think that gets me away from the optical trigger but not sure.
02-12-2015, 03:51 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

You do only need one trigger and one receiver. With the 560MKII, there is no optical trigger, unlike the MKI and newer ones.

If you need to add on more flashes, you will need to simply buy more receivers.

What I use is http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008MTN9MM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Cheap, off-brand version of the Cowboy one. Does the trick and takes AAAs for the receivers.

02-12-2015, 04:07 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks again Mr. B.
So what does the cowboy hot shoe receiver do?
02-12-2015, 04:19 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

The hot shoe receiver is almost useless when mounted on your camera.

The receiver has a hot shoe on it, which your flash attaches to. The trigger then sends the signal to the hot shoe receiver to fire the flash when you take a picture at 1/180 sec or slower.

You can mount the included flash stand on the hot shoe receiver's mount and attach it to a light stand or attach the receiver directly to a light stand (my preference).
02-12-2015, 05:17 PM   #7

Original Poster
Sounds like the set-up I need for what I want to do.
I took a look at the neewer stuff you linked to. They look like
knock -offs. I think neewer makes a lot of those for wongyuo
including the flash.
I know there is probably better set-ups out there but at these price points
and the fact that I am only a hobbyist I think this is more that adequate.
Get some reflectors, etc. and I am on the road to greatness,
Maybe
Thanks for the help.