Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2015, 09:15 AM   #1

K5 IIs always wants to use high ISO

I just made the leap to a DLSR and picked the K5 IIs with a 55-300mm zoom lens and a 50mm prime. In manual mode i am good, learning curve of all the buttons. The camera seems to always want to shoot in ISO 3200 in auto, when my wife is using or if you hand to someone else to take a photo. Any suggestions?

02-14-2015, 09:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Are you in poor lighting conditions? Indoors?

On page 3 of the 'Record Menu' (red camera for an icon), there's an "ISO AUTO Setting" option you can use to limit the iso range. In the same menu item you can also adjust it's preferences on how aggressive it's decisions are to raise the iso.

Limiting how high the iso can go under poor light can result in a slow shutter (camera shake or motion blur of subjects) or in a DoF that's too shallow for what you're doing (or both!). It's sometimes preferable to accept some grain in exchange for safer shutter/aperture but play around with the customization options.
02-14-2015, 10:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I find that too in lower light conditions. It seems it will always up the ISO instead of lower the shutter speed when using Green mode. The camera must figure you can edit out noise but you can't do anything with motion blur.
02-14-2015, 10:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jayman_1975 Quote
I find that too in lower light conditions. It seems it will always up the ISO instead of lower the shutter speed when using Green mode. The camera must figure you can edit out noise but you can't do anything with motion blur.
And the camera is actually quite right. Besides, even with these 16mp sensors, which are not the latest, IQ is so good even at ISO 6400 that I wouldn't sweat it.

02-14-2015, 10:27 AM   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

The camera must figure you can edit out noise but you can't do anything with motion blur.
Exactly. In Green, Program, and (I think) AV mode, it tries to keep the shutter speed at 1/1.5xFL sec.
QuoteOriginally posted by Trenton Quote
Any suggestions?
As BrianR said, you can limit the highest ISO. The other way would be to use TV mode, or Manual.
02-14-2015, 10:37 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions. I understand in low light, it was just selecting that iso in mornings or when in a bit of a shadow. I will try limiting the iso, thanks again.
02-14-2015, 10:54 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The modes really influence the behaviors of auto settings. Green Auto mode sort of aggressively seizes control from your preferences and turns it all over to the camera. For example, BrianR's suggestion for limits on "ISO AUTO Setting" work just fine in other modes, but Green mode ignores that, and removes the option to change it from the menu. Take that, camera user! Green mode overrides a number of other settings too.

You could switch from Green mode to P mode. It is still Auto but you can change settings like limiting the ISO range. P mode has one drawback - all the buttons are active. If you hand the camera off to someone else and they accidentally turn an e-dial in the handoff, the camera thinks you really meant it. The display might show "Av HYPER" or some other scary thing, and won't go back if you turn the e-dial back. Hit the green button on the back to return to P mode and all is fixed.

With slower kit lenses, the camera sees 3200 as a good way to maintain other settings in reasonable values. You might want to just allow the camera to do noise reduction on high-ISO shots (if you are shooting JPEGs) or use software noise reduction on RAW files.

02-14-2015, 11:15 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
With slower kit lenses, the camera sees 3200 as a good way to maintain other settings in reasonable values. You might want to just allow the camera to do noise reduction on high-ISO shots (if you are shooting JPEGs) or use software noise reduction on RAW files.
I've noticed that with lenses with lower resolution, higher ISO is a bit more usable because noise reduction works better on them. At leas, Topaz works better at higher settings. I think because Topax is trying to preserve detail, with a higher resolution, it confuses detail and noise. When the lens doesn't bring forth as much detail, what is noise is clearer and there's less detail loss at high settings (in part because there was less detail to start).

I also suspect that some of programming is from back before shake reduction, so the camera avoids those low shutter speeds it can do now.
02-14-2015, 12:00 PM   #9

This is configurable. If you go into the ISO settings (assuming anything other than Auto mode) you can change how the ISO ramps up. You can either do slow (keep ISO low), high (ramp up ISO quickly) or normal which is somewhere in the middle.

Sorry - I see someone had already suggested this. I didn't read close enough
02-14-2015, 08:11 PM   #10

Original Poster
I wish this forum was around when I had my MV1 and then my MX. Thanks for the help.
02-15-2015, 08:49 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What you will find is that in auto "everything" modes, the camera will try to out think you in the settings.

It's first priority will be to meet the program line you have set, let's assume the camera is trying to follow the lens MTF curve. It will want to set optimum aperture, then a minimum shutter speed of 1/focal length, then, it will reduce ISO only once the first two criteria are met.

This can leave you with a high ISO when you don't really want it.

Best to start taking control of the shots yourself
02-15-2015, 09:19 AM   #12
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
The other way would be to use TV mode, or Manual
Or give that camera a good talking to and let it know who's boss.
02-15-2015, 09:38 AM   #13

Original Poster
When I am using the camera it is in manual, just when I hand off to be in photo or wife grabs it. I have been extremely happy so far.
02-15-2015, 09:58 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Exactly. In Green, Program, and (I think) AV mode, it tries to keep the shutter speed at 1/1.5xFL sec.As BrianR said, you can limit the highest ISO. The other way would be to use TV mode, or Manual.
Since I shoot mostly with m42 lens and use stop down metering in Av mode. I set the PLINE to the 'speed'; the camera seems to default to 1/60, no matter what focal length I set when I turn the camera on. Any suggestion as to how I can set the minimum shutter speed to 1/125? Thanks...
02-15-2015, 12:33 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Since I shoot mostly with m42 lens and use stop down metering in Av mode. I set the PLINE to the 'speed'; the camera seems to default to 1/60, no matter what focal length I set when I turn the camera on. Any suggestion as to how I can set the minimum shutter speed to 1/125? Thanks...
No that's one of the quirks. The cameras only use FL for shake rduction