Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-14-2015, 12:47 PM   #1

K30 grainy images on Auto. Please help

Hi. I have Pentax K30 that I bought new in December 2013. It seems that whatever setting I try, I get fairly grainy images. The quality is something that has been taken on a 2MB Nokia not a quality 16MB SLR. I am confident the camera is very able, but it seems I am not. Could anyone suggest basic settings please, after a year of frustration I am ready for help. The camera is used primarily on the auto setting, both indoors and out. Many thanks.

02-14-2015, 01:10 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Grainy most likely means high ISO.
If the camera in Auto sets ISO higher than needed to get correct exposure, probably some setting makes it think you want the pictures like that.

Could you please post a picture typical for your problem, and take care EXIF is included and intact.
02-14-2015, 01:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Can you post up an example with the EXIF info attached?
02-14-2015, 01:16 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm betting the Auto setting is adjusting your iso too high, hence the graininess. As RKK above asked, pls post some samples with exif intact. Meanwhile, you might take a look at this thread (pertains to K5, but also applicable to your K30): https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/288670-k...-high-iso.html

To get the most from your camera, you'll need to get off of Auto mode. I suggest picking up a copy of "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson - very helpful in getting the basics down.

02-14-2015, 01:23 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It could be due to one of several reasons. Are you shooting jpeg or RAW? If jpeg, you have a choice (in the menu or the info screen) of both jpeg quality (the degree of lossy compression used) and pixels used. Make sure you set to both highest quality and the full number of pixels. This has no effect on RAW images.

Another possibility is that you are inadvertently using a very high ISO (sensitivity). This may be required in low light, but is always best avoided if possible. High ISO shooting will give you noisy images, i.e., "grain". You say you are shooting with the "auto setting"; do you mean you have the mode dial set to "green mode"? That doesn't allow you to choose anything, including ISO. I suggest you set your mode dial to P mode, which will still give you a (generally sensible) fully automatic experience if you want it, but also allows you to set ISO and one of aperture and shutter speed. Try taking a few pictures in good outdoor light at 100 ISO. Do this by pushing the ISO button on the top of the camera near the shutter button (I think that's where it is on the K30, though I don't have one handy at the moment to check). The ISO level will then be selected on the screen and you can adjust it (within a few seconds) using the rear dial. Lowest ISO = best quality (though not at the expense of such a slow shutter speed that you get motion blur).

Let us know if those suggestions help.
02-14-2015, 02:52 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The iso on the K-30 is on the 4 way control button . Try taking it of Auto iso, or at least lowering the max allowed on auto. Mine for auto is set to 100-1600. Over that and the shots start to show noise Not too bad at 3200 but over that unacceptable for me. It is also set to use 100 most of the time. If I allow auto it automatically picks the highest I have allowed in the auto setting.
02-18-2015, 04:28 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thank you

Thanks for your prompt and detailed replies and suggestions gentlemen. You are absolutely right about the ISO. I reset that to 100 and the results were instantly fantastic. Cheers

02-18-2015, 04:39 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by J Dud Quote
Thanks for your prompt and detailed replies and suggestions gentlemen. You are absolutely right about the ISO. I reset that to 100 and the results were instantly fantastic. Cheers
Excellent. Glad it worked. I think you'll be very pleased with pictures from the K30 up to at least 400-800 ISO with 1600 or even 3200 quite decent when needed. Enjoy your "new" camera.
02-18-2015, 08:15 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K30 has TAv mode. I like that because you set the aperture, then balance the shutter speed and aperture to keep ISO in an acceptable range. You can judge for yourself whether you want to let it climb past 6400, or lower shutter speed and risk a little motion blur. You'll get the hang of it pretty quickly. The front wheel is aperture and rear wheel is shutter speed. You'll be shooting like a pro in no time.
02-19-2015, 11:11 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

I use TAV mode also with my K5IIs. I also adjust my f stop and shutter speed to accommodate a good ISO, usually below or at 1600. I have my ISO maximum level in my camera settings at 3200. Of course, it is useful to experiment with modes that let you adjust your own ISO too. Also, testing your f stop and shutter speed for different results is valuable experience, especially in TAV mode if you are looking for an ISO reaction result to them.