Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2015, 12:55 AM   #1

Lens cap falls off

I have a pentax kx -red with lens. The lens cap, pinch type with "Pentax" on the front falls off with the slightest bump. It erks me that here is a nice beautiful lens, with special wipes to clean them with and a lens cap that is suppose to protect it. The lens cap is useless. I now have a pink sock covering my lens. Oh this looks good. Really Pentax? Is this the best you could do for a lens cap?

02-15-2015, 02:06 AM   #2
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mossmaster Quote
front falls off with the slightest bump
I've a couple of Pentax lenses (Mistress and Shift) that have the slide on metal front caps, no bump required... just looking at them from a distance is enough.
02-15-2015, 02:08 AM   #3
PJ1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Maybe you have a faulty cap. All my pinch caps - OEM and third party - work fine. Or the filter thread could be out of round.
02-15-2015, 02:09 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not sure which lens you have (18-55?) but this is not a normal issue. None of my Pentax lenses have this issue but I do have trouble with a couple of Sigma lenses (they have awful caps - both ends).
However the DA 40 f2.8 XS is known for a cap that can fall off but thats not a pinch type cap.

Is there some damage (or defect) to the cap or thread of the lens perhaps???

02-15-2015, 08:46 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Do you have another lens with the same filter size? Simple enough to try swapping the caps to see
if the lens or the cap is at fault. It is very likely a weak spring in the cap that's to blame.
02-15-2015, 08:51 AM   #6
Pentaxian

The older manual focus pinch lens caps were not as secure as the contemporary caps. The current lens caps are quite secure. As mentioned before either your cap is defective or the filter threads are damaged. Or something has gotten into the moving parts of the lens cap the prevents them from locking securely. Are you using a filter? Sometimes cheap filters don't have enough thread on them for pinch style caps to hold securely.

No insult intended but you have to wonder about a new poster whose one and only post (so far) is to blame Pentax over something trivial.
02-15-2015, 09:10 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Cap looks like this on top? If so I have newer had problems with those ones.

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The older manual focus pinch lens caps were not as secure as the contemporary caps.
Are U talking about this model on down right in pic? I just wonder cos I have many caps like this...do I have reason to replace them?
02-15-2015, 09:19 AM   #8
Pentaxian

You probably have a faulty lens cap with either loose/stuck or missing spring in one of the tabs. You can usually find replacement caps reasonably cheap from fleabay.

02-15-2015, 09:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I've never had a lens cap fall off, not even the Asahi Pentax one in JooJoo's picture.

You might have gotten a broken one or you broke it yourself
02-16-2015, 12:55 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Is there any chance you purchased the two lens kit and got the caps mixed up? They are not the same size and while the 49mm cap for the 50-200 may engage on the 18-55, it is easily dislodged. The 18-55 uses a 52mm cap. Check the underside of the cap to see its size.

Steve
03-27-2015, 10:09 PM - 1 Like   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Is there any chance you purchased the two lens kit and got the caps mixed up? They are not the same size and while the 49mm cap for the 50-200 may engage on the 18-55, it is easily dislodged. The 18-55 uses a 52mm cap. Check the underside of the cap to see its size.

Steve
Steve, sheepishly yes. That was the problem. I had switched lenses and got the two mixed up. I shall go hide in a corner now.
03-28-2015, 11:44 AM   #12
Pentaxian

@stevebrot: Brilliant!
03-29-2015, 08:54 AM   #13
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

Steve, sheepishly yes. That was the problem. I had switched lenses and got the two mixed up. I shall go hide in a corner now.
Now, go burn that pink sock!

Easy mistake, glad Steve was right on the money to assist you. This is what is so great about these forums!

BTW, Welcome to the forums, we're glad you've joined us here!
03-29-2015, 11:22 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Easy mistake, glad Steve was right on the money to assist you. This is what is so great about these forums!
Steve has personal experience getting those two caps mixed up

Steve
03-30-2015, 01:28 AM   #15

Try to gentle 'screw-in' the cap (like a filter) after fitting the cap on the lens.

-----
The lens cap, pinch type with "Pentax" on the front falls off with the slightest bump.