Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2015, 02:32 PM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 199
sensor cleaning kit

Our last camera repair shop has closed down and I must learn to take care of this myself now and I wondered if there was a particular kit that you might recommend.
maria

02-17-2015, 02:35 PM   #2
Moderator
Site Supporter
photolady95's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cruising PentaxForums and watching your back.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,879
A rocket blower is the best to use for sensor cleaning. You don't say which camera you have, but my defense against dust is turn on sensor cleaning option/s.
02-17-2015, 03:10 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,951
QuoteOriginally posted by mariakruse Quote
Our last camera repair shop has closed down and I must learn to take care of this myself now and I wondered if there was a particular kit that you might recommend.
maria
Here's the blower that I use:
Giottos Rocket Blaster Dust-Removal Tool (Large, Black) AA1900

It's worked well for sensor cleaning, lens cleaning, and also keyboards.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-17-2015, 03:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 306
if blower not enough then eclipse sensor cleaning swaps and fluid

02-17-2015, 03:29 PM   #5
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,181
1+ regarding the rocket blower. I have been shooting Pentax digital since 2007 and have never needed to any other tool other than the blower.


Steve
02-17-2015, 03:39 PM   #6
Pentaxian
EarlVonTapia's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Vancouver
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,150
Here's a recommendation I learned about through Reddit.

Get a FOOT PUMP, the kind that you use to pump up an air mattress. It's probably the most forceful amount of air and non-harmful method that you can get without resorting to an air canister.

It's probably overkill for day to day use, but for those once-a-year mega cleanings, it can come in handy.
02-17-2015, 03:42 PM   #7
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 199
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
A rocket blower is the best to use for sensor cleaning. You don't say which camera you have, but my defense against dust is turn on sensor cleaning option/s.
I have a K-3. Thank you I will try it.
maria

---------- Post added 02-17-15 at 03:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Here's the blower that I use:
Giottos Rocket Blaster Dust-Removal Tool (Large, Black) AA1900

It's worked well for sensor cleaning, lens cleaning, and also keyboards.
Thank you. That sounds pretty good.
mariak

---------- Post added 02-17-15 at 03:44 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Joojoo2010 Quote
if blower not enough then eclipse sensor cleaning swaps and fluid
I will try the blower and then the swabs. Thank you
maria

---------- Post added 02-17-15 at 03:44 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
1+ regarding the rocket blower. I have been shooting Pentax digital since 2007 and have never needed to any other tool other than the blower.


Steve
I do hope that is enough, will try.
maria

---------- Post added 02-17-15 at 03:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
Here's a recommendation I learned about through Reddit.

Get a FOOT PUMP, the kind that you use to pump up an air mattress. It's probably the most forceful amount of air and non-harmful method that you can get without resorting to an air canister.

It's probably overkill for day to day use, but for those once-a-year mega cleanings, it can come in handy.
Wow! I never thought of that. thank you
maria
02-17-2015, 03:49 PM   #8
Site Supporter
waterfall's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Northern Minnesota
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,767
I use the rocket blower Adam recommended. Used around the lens mount on body and lens before changing, then on new lens mount before mounting. I don't think the blower will work well on sticky tree pollen in spring, so I never change lenses outside if visible pollen is drifting around or is on my car windscreen.

02-17-2015, 04:01 PM   #9
Pentaxian
c.a.m's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 986
Coincidentally, I just cleaned my K-5 sensor with the Pentax cleaning device:

Pentax Image Sensor Cleaning Kit, O-ICK1 reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

I find that this system works well for most of the times that I need to clean the sensor. Typically, the job takes about 10 minutes. If the O-ICK1 doesn't work I'll resort to a Visible Dust swab and Eclipse fluid.

- Craig
02-17-2015, 04:36 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
narual's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Bend (Notre Dame), Indiana
Posts: 1,934
Has anyone here ever tried SensorKlear from the LensPen people? I had a splotch on my sensor that was leaving marks on all my images while I was on vacation. The blower wouldn't get rid of it, so I had one of those overnighted through Amazon. It took care of the problem, but I've only used it once, so I can't give a really solid recommendation.
02-17-2015, 04:52 PM   #11
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 199
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by waterfall Quote
I use the rocket blower Adam recommended. Used around the lens mount on body and lens before changing, then on new lens mount before mounting. I don't think the blower will work well on sticky tree pollen in spring, so I never change lenses outside if visible pollen is drifting around or is on my car windscreen.
I noticed that the rocket blower comes in 3 sizes s m l any idea what size for a K-3?
maria
02-17-2015, 05:06 PM   #12
Senior Member
SKYGZR's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Milky Way Galaxy, Planet Earth, Speeding towards the Virgo Supercluster
Posts: 104
Read: Introduction - Cleaning Digital Cameras - D-SLR Sensor Cleaning.
02-17-2015, 05:45 PM   #13
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,181
QuoteOriginally posted by mariakruse Quote
I noticed that the rocket blower comes in 3 sizes s m l any idea what size for a K-3?
maria
I use the large. The main considerations are the volume and strength of the "puff" as well as the ease of handling. If you have small hands, the medium may work better.


Steve
02-17-2015, 06:31 PM   #14
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 199
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I use the large. The main considerations are the volume and strength of the "puff" as well as the ease of handling. If you have small hands, the medium may work better.


Steve
Thank you, I shall order this evening.
mariak
02-17-2015, 11:31 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
narual's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Bend (Notre Dame), Indiana
Posts: 1,934
Just be careful flying with it. Some twit might decide it's a bomb.
Photographer Has Blower Confiscated by TSA Because it 'Could Fly Like a Missile'
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
air, blower, camera, day, kit, maria, pentax help, photography, pm, post, rocket, rocket blower, sensor, tool, troubleshooting
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone used the Delkin Sensor scope cleaning kit on their K5 yet? ggeorge11 Pentax K-5 3 06-04-2011 11:22 AM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax K-R + 18-55mm, 16gb sd card, sensor swab cleaning kit (CONUS) shimoyjk Sold Items 17 02-25-2011 08:04 PM
Sensor Cleaning kit calicojack Pentax DSLR Discussion 10 08-14-2009 05:11 PM
Question about Pentax Sensor Cleaning Kit O-ICK1 causey Pentax DSLR Discussion 8 07-17-2009 09:06 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:21 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top