Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2015, 02:32 PM   #1

sensor cleaning kit

Our last camera repair shop has closed down and I must learn to take care of this myself now and I wondered if there was a particular kit that you might recommend.
maria

02-17-2015, 02:35 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A rocket blower is the best to use for sensor cleaning. You don't say which camera you have, but my defense against dust is turn on sensor cleaning option/s.
02-17-2015, 03:10 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by mariakruse Quote
Our last camera repair shop has closed down and I must learn to take care of this myself now and I wondered if there was a particular kit that you might recommend.
maria
Here's the blower that I use:
Giottos Rocket Blaster Dust-Removal Tool (Large, Black) AA1900

It's worked well for sensor cleaning, lens cleaning, and also keyboards.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-17-2015, 03:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

if blower not enough then eclipse sensor cleaning swaps and fluid

02-17-2015, 03:29 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

1+ regarding the rocket blower. I have been shooting Pentax digital since 2007 and have never needed to any other tool other than the blower.

Steve
02-17-2015, 03:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Here's a recommendation I learned about through Reddit.

Get a FOOT PUMP, the kind that you use to pump up an air mattress. It's probably the most forceful amount of air and non-harmful method that you can get without resorting to an air canister.

It's probably overkill for day to day use, but for those once-a-year mega cleanings, it can come in handy.
02-17-2015, 03:42 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
A rocket blower is the best to use for sensor cleaning. You don't say which camera you have, but my defense against dust is turn on sensor cleaning option/s.
I have a K-3. Thank you I will try it.
maria

---------- Post added 02-17-15 at 03:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Here's the blower that I use:
Giottos Rocket Blaster Dust-Removal Tool (Large, Black) AA1900

It's worked well for sensor cleaning, lens cleaning, and also keyboards.
Thank you. That sounds pretty good.
mariak

---------- Post added 02-17-15 at 03:44 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Joojoo2010 Quote
if blower not enough then eclipse sensor cleaning swaps and fluid
I will try the blower and then the swabs. Thank you
maria

---------- Post added 02-17-15 at 03:44 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
1+ regarding the rocket blower. I have been shooting Pentax digital since 2007 and have never needed to any other tool other than the blower.

Steve
I do hope that is enough, will try.
maria

---------- Post added 02-17-15 at 03:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
Here's a recommendation I learned about through Reddit.

Get a FOOT PUMP, the kind that you use to pump up an air mattress. It's probably the most forceful amount of air and non-harmful method that you can get without resorting to an air canister.

It's probably overkill for day to day use, but for those once-a-year mega cleanings, it can come in handy.
Wow! I never thought of that. thank you
maria

02-17-2015, 03:49 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I use the rocket blower Adam recommended. Used around the lens mount on body and lens before changing, then on new lens mount before mounting. I don't think the blower will work well on sticky tree pollen in spring, so I never change lenses outside if visible pollen is drifting around or is on my car windscreen.
02-17-2015, 04:01 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Coincidentally, I just cleaned my K-5 sensor with the Pentax cleaning device:

Pentax Image Sensor Cleaning Kit, O-ICK1 reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

I find that this system works well for most of the times that I need to clean the sensor. Typically, the job takes about 10 minutes. If the O-ICK1 doesn't work I'll resort to a Visible Dust swab and Eclipse fluid.

- Craig
02-17-2015, 04:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Has anyone here ever tried SensorKlear from the LensPen people? I had a splotch on my sensor that was leaving marks on all my images while I was on vacation. The blower wouldn't get rid of it, so I had one of those overnighted through Amazon. It took care of the problem, but I've only used it once, so I can't give a really solid recommendation.
02-17-2015, 04:52 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by waterfall Quote
I use the rocket blower Adam recommended. Used around the lens mount on body and lens before changing, then on new lens mount before mounting. I don't think the blower will work well on sticky tree pollen in spring, so I never change lenses outside if visible pollen is drifting around or is on my car windscreen.
I noticed that the rocket blower comes in 3 sizes s m l any idea what size for a K-3?
maria
02-17-2015, 05:06 PM   #12

Location: Milky Way Galaxy, Planet Earth, Speeding towards the Virgo Supercluster
Read: Introduction - Cleaning Digital Cameras - D-SLR Sensor Cleaning.
02-17-2015, 05:45 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mariakruse Quote
I noticed that the rocket blower comes in 3 sizes s m l any idea what size for a K-3?
maria
I use the large. The main considerations are the volume and strength of the "puff" as well as the ease of handling. If you have small hands, the medium may work better.

Steve
02-17-2015, 06:31 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I use the large. The main considerations are the volume and strength of the "puff" as well as the ease of handling. If you have small hands, the medium may work better.

Steve
Thank you, I shall order this evening.
mariak
02-17-2015, 11:31 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Just be careful flying with it. Some twit might decide it's a bomb.
Photographer Has Blower Confiscated by TSA Because it 'Could Fly Like a Missile'