Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2015, 10:22 PM   #1

Location: Milky Way Galaxy, Planet Earth, Speeding towards the Virgo Supercluster
What Software?

to actually read the EXIF data..specifically the cam's (K5ii and K-x) sensor temp for a given exposure time ie; long exposures, up to 420s & beyond. Tried the Pentax "Silky" v 4.4..give allot of info, yet couldn't find the EXIF data..perhaps it's there, yet any hint's / help's appreciated...

02-19-2015, 10:37 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
exiftool reports the following for a recent picture from my K3:

Camera Temperature : 29 C
Camera Temperature 2 : 31.0 C
Camera Temperature 3 : 31.0 C

Whatever they mean.
02-20-2015, 04:23 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
exiftool reports the following for a recent picture from my K3:

Camera Temperature : 29 C
Camera Temperature 2 : 31.0 C
Camera Temperature 3 : 31.0 C

Whatever they mean.
This could mean that the camera uses three temperature sensors. Some Chips (ICs) have temperature sensors already built in.
However it was new to me, that this gets recorded. Dropped a DNG from my K30 into exiftool and it only shows one Camera Temperature reading in the Pentax section.
The behaviour of analog sensors and circuits is usually temperature depend. By knowing the temperature, the resulting offset/error can be calculated thus increasing measurement accuracy.
02-20-2015, 01:55 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SKYGZR Quote
What Software?
Phil Harvey's ExifTool is probably your best bet. It is a command-line tool, but can be configured to work as drag-n-drop in Windows.

ExifTool by Phil Harvey

Don't be put off by the primitive-looking Web site. ExifTool is probably the best exif reader/editor available. Note that the tag names within the Pentax makernotes section are the author's creation. In the actual exif, those fields are unnamed.

Steve

02-20-2015, 02:41 PM   #5
Site Supporter

PhotoMe [PhotoME - Exif, IPTC & ICC Metadata Editor], although very old and unsupported, is a nice GUI for exiftool. There is a Filter feature at the bottom to search for key words in the description field.

I also like exiftoolgui [Latest ExiftoolGUI version 5.15] (also no longer being supported). It has a nice feature in the interface: the Chart tab; one can take a folder and/or subfolders and chart the focal length or ISO or aperture distributions--useful for determining what settings you tend to prefer. Unfortunately it only supports JPG or PEF images (and the lesser CR2 and NEF formats).

Other interfaces and tools are listed toward the end of Phil Harvey's website under Related Utilities. I have not tried them.

Cheers,
Lou
02-20-2015, 05:08 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lm4187 Quote
I also like exiftoolgui [Latest ExiftoolGUI version 5.15] (also no longer being supported). It has a nice feature in the interface: the Chart tab; one can take a folder and/or subfolders and chart the focal length or ISO or aperture distributions--useful for determining what settings you tend to prefer. Unfortunately it only supports JPG or PEF images (and the lesser CR2 and NEF formats).
I use this in conjunction with ExifTool and have found it to be very, very helpful, particularly if you want to do batch edits or auto discover lenses not supported by Adobe (!). Despite being unsupported, it is compatible with the current version of ExifTool for all shared features. Highly recommended.

Steve