Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2015, 01:21 PM   #1

using Metz 52 with K-3 off camera

So I am brand new to DSLRs and have just ordered my first: K3, with a sigma 17-35 mm f2.8 and a Rokinon 85mm f1.4 and the Metz 52. I still am having trouble understanding the jargon, so I need to know if I have to purchase any other accessories to get the flash to work off camera. Does the k3 have wireless communication automatically, or do I need to buy a remote or a wireless card? I apologize if this has been addressed, but I can't quite understand Pentaxian, yet

02-20-2015, 02:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ckschempp Quote
So I am brand new to DSLRs and have just ordered my first: K3, with a sigma 17-35 mm f2.8 and a Rokinon 85mm f1.4 and the Metz 52. I still am having trouble understanding the jargon, so I need to know if I have to purchase any other accessories to get the flash to work off camera. Does the k3 have wireless communication automatically, or do I need to buy a remote or a wireless card? I apologize if this has been addressed, but I can't quite understand Pentaxian, yet
You can wirelessly trigger the flash using the pop up flash on the K-3. It retains P-ttl data so you can have it expose automatically. But the optical slave on the flash won't see so good in bright daylight, so its best to only use the pop up flash to trigger if you are indoors. Read the manual that came with the flash to figure out how to set it to slave mode and the K-3 manual for wireless triggering.

Another option is radio trigger, which work great and are usually very reliable. They also don't require line of sight to trigger the flash. But there aren't many option, if any, that retain P-ttl data. So you will almost always have to use the flash in manual mode and set the power yourself.
02-20-2015, 03:16 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you so much! So I'm good with what I have unless I need to be doing a lot of outdoor work and then I would need a trigger? (I think that's what I translated) I figure that I'll pick up the language once I have the actual camera. I hope.
02-20-2015, 03:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ckschempp Quote
Thank you so much! So I'm good with what I have unless I need to be doing a lot of outdoor work and then I would need a trigger? (I think that's what I translated) I figure that I'll pick up the language once I have the actual camera. I hope.
Yep, you have everything you need. Just read the manual.

02-20-2015, 04:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Radio triggers are far more reliable than line of sight triggering option provided by Pentax. Unfortunately, the only radio controlled wireless pass-through P-TTL for Pentax dedicated flashes is the Cactus Wireless Transceiver V6. The cost is approximately $70.

I would hope that Ricoh includes a radio cotrolled system like Canon has in the 5D Mark III and 600EX-RT Speelites, or contracts with Phottix to have them build a radio triggering the Odin transmitters and receivers for Canon, Nikon and Sony.