Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2015, 05:34 PM   #1

Camera is DEAD!

I have a K10 Pentax which has been an excellent camera. It has sat for about 2-3 months and now with fresh batteries charged up, there is no response when I turn the camera on. Looking for something to try. I have re-charged batteries, cleaned contacts, check every switch to make sure something is on/off?

02-21-2015, 05:42 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would start by trying a different battery. Also, make sure the battery is inserted properly, as I believe it's possible to insert it backwards.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-21-2015, 05:54 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
In addition, check the memory card is pushed in properly and the memory card door is closed properly.
02-21-2015, 08:13 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

One more thing: if the camera was in a damp environment, dry it (eg by placing it in the sun for a few hours).

My 5 cents.

02-22-2015, 10:00 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Maybe it's a sign for upgrade...
05-24-2015, 08:54 AM   #6

Original Poster
Dead Camera

So after checking and trying the things readers listed in this post plus a few others (cards, doors, backwards battery, new battery, taking apart as much as I dared to, recharging everything, hooking up to a computer.....nothing).

Since my funds are limited, I am asking what is an affordable model that I can still use my present collection of lens?

Thanks in advance.
05-24-2015, 09:18 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Coldcanuk Quote
Since my funds are limited, I am asking what is an affordable model that I can still use my present collection of lens?
Sorry to hear about your K10 Best new camera deal out there now is probably the K50, selling between $300-$400 at the moment. A used K5 can be had for about the same, if you want a flagship model.
05-24-2015, 03:21 PM   #8
Pentaxian

gunk n grime in the on/off switch.....some e-dials get quarky when dirty.....turn on with no lens mounted?

05-24-2015, 06:04 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Coldcanuk Quote
So after checking and trying the things readers listed in this post plus a few others (cards, doors, backwards battery, new battery, taking apart as much as I dared to, recharging everything, hooking up to a computer.....nothing).

Thanks in advance.
The K-50 is by far the best value currently on the market, and it has all the features that your K10D did and more. If you count all the rewards and freebies, your out of pocket cost ends up being less than $300:

Pentax K-50 Plus Extras for $307.99 - Deals and Savings | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-24-2015, 06:37 PM   #10
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Agree with Adam. If $300 is doable for you it will provide you with more responsiveness and a similar solid feel without having a huge blow to your finances. The K50 is definitely no step down from the K10D.
05-25-2015, 07:11 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Might consider tying A LITTLE electrical contact cleaner on the "on/off" switch....might something that simple.....

On the other hand, could be something on the main board. As others have stated, K-50 is quite the bargain right now....and of course 'the marketplace' sub-forum might have something to your liking.......

best of luck with it.....
05-25-2015, 07:33 AM   #12
mee
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The K-50 is by far the best value currently on the market, and it has all the features that your K10D did and more. If you count all the rewards and freebies, your out of pocket cost ends up being less than $300:

Pentax K-50 Plus Extras for $307.99 - Deals and Savings | PentaxForums.com
Except for the top LCD panel which the K-50 lacks.

If you want a similar style camera body go with the K-5 or K-5ii if you can find one used for cheap... well if you really want the top LCD.

Otherwise, K-50 is everything the K10d was and then some..