Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2015, 06:07 AM   #1

shutter speed

A strange thing happened yesterday. I turned on my k 50 and could not adjust the shutter speed over 1/30 of a sec,Was working fine the day before. Changed from manual to auto and back. But would not go over 1/30. I went in to the menu and hit reset and all is good. Is this just a glitch that happens sometime. I have only had the camera a few months and still have a lot of learning on it.

02-22-2015, 11:47 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is the expected behavior in Tv and P (Tv Hyper) modes when there is inadequate light for a particular ISO setting. In other modes, this should not happen.

Note: Yesterday when I posted, Tv mode on the K-50 I had in hand did cap the shutter speed in dim light. Today it did not...go figure...

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-23-2015 at 09:31 AM.
02-23-2015, 07:30 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
This is the expected behavior in Tv and P (Tv Hyper) modes when there is inadequate light for a particular ISO setting. In other modes, this should not happen.

Steve
thanks for the response i will keep and eye on it. Hopefully it was a one time thing.
02-23-2015, 08:05 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cdcdx1 Quote
A strange thing happened yesterday. I turned on my k 50 and could not adjust the shutter speed over 1/30 of a sec,Was working fine the day before. Changed from manual to auto and back. But would not go over 1/30.
In Manual mode you should be able to set the shutter to whatever you want (likewise for Tv mode).

So possibly a dumb question but also possibly what your problem was- did the display read 30 or did it read 30"? The " marks would indicate you're at a 30 second shutter speed, which you cannot pass (without bulb mode). Without the " marks, you'd be at 1/30 of a second. Put it in manual mode and try wheeling the shutter speed to both extremes and watch where the " tag appears.

02-23-2015, 09:29 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
This is the expected behavior in Tv and P (Tv Hyper) modes
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
In Manual mode you should be able to set the shutter to whatever you want (likewise for Tv mode).
My mistake regarding the Tv behavior. I had the K-50 in hand when I wrote my previous comment, but this morning Tv allows any setting. P (Tv Hyper) still caps the shutter speed based on the ISO, however. Perhaps I was seeing the same issue as the OP?

I will edit my comment.

Steve
02-23-2015, 05:05 PM   #6
Pentaxian

My idea is that an e-dial was not working properly. Some older cameras have had this issue - I fixed my brother's K-r recently with contact cleaner. It's unusual in a newer model just because they haven't collected enough debris. If that's it, it will stick on any adjustment made with that dial. Often one direction works and the other direction doesn't. Spray some electronics contact cleaner around the dial, spin it a few times and that clears it up.
02-24-2015, 09:29 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
My idea is that an e-dial was not working properly. Some older cameras have had this issue - I fixed my brother's K-r recently with contact cleaner. It's unusual in a newer model just because they haven't collected enough debris. If that's it, it will stick on any adjustment made with that dial. Often one direction works and the other direction doesn't. Spray some electronics contact cleaner around the dial, spin it a few times and that clears it up.
I did have it in manual and it was at 1/30 i could go to 1/15 and longer but not higher. It hasn't done it again so i an hoping it was just a one time glitch.