Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2015, 10:41 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Camera lock up

I have a K20d that occasionally locks up. Not often, but just once in a while. It usually happens during a shot. When this happens I can't do anything with the camera. I pop the battery and as soon as I put it back in it works just fine. It's usually a long time till I see this problem pop up again.

Does anyone know if this is mirror lock up? And, is there anything I can do about it? Luckily it doesn't happen often and is just an occasional minor annoyance that rarely gets in the way.

I have reloaded the latest firmware more than once.

Thanks

02-22-2015, 11:37 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Mirror (lock) up is an intentional action, associated with sensor cleaning and also with use of the self timer.

What you describe is just one of those things that happens every once in a while to many (all?) cameras.
02-22-2015, 11:53 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
When this happens I can't do anything with the camera. I pop the battery and as soon as I put it back in it works just fine.
It's a known issue. You just have to live with it.
02-22-2015, 12:00 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I guess I meant an unintentional locking of the mirror. But, it may not be. I don't remember hearing mirror movement when I pop the battery. Anyway, it hasn't happened enough times for me to really remember.

Didn't realize it was a known issue.

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
Mirror (lock) up is an intentional action, associated with sensor cleaning and also with use of the self timer.

What you describe is just one of those things that happens every once in a while to many (all?) cameras.

02-22-2015, 12:09 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Didn't realize it was a known issue.
Me neither, at least not on the K20D. On the K-3, many users have experienced the occasional "locked" camera. Is there any chance that your battery is no longer up to snuff? Lithium ion batteries go bad over time and if yours is original equipment, it is past due for a replacement.

Steve
02-22-2015, 12:36 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a K20d that occasionally locks up. Not often, but just once in a while.
"locks up" covers a wide range of possible issues. It could be the electronics get confused like any computer. It could be mechanical. On the k-5 there was an issue where the mirror motor assembly would jam during a shot. On the k-3 there have been several random lock up issues. My k-x would occasionally freeze for no reason.

The basic fault varied but one common denominator was/is battery issues. The fault (whatever it is on a particular camera) would only manifest when combined with a power issue. As Steve noted it might be a good time to get a new battery. Other than that, not much else you can do. If it is electronic and random just live with it. If it is mechanical it will eventually fail completely and then you can get it repaired.
02-22-2015, 01:23 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I have a K20d that occasionally locks up. Not often, but just once in a while. It usually happens during a shot. When this happens I can't do anything with the camera. I pop the battery and as soon as I put it back in it works just fine. It's usually a long time till I see this problem pop up again.

Does anyone know if this is mirror lock up? And, is there anything I can do about it? Luckily it doesn't happen often and is just an occasional minor annoyance that rarely gets in the way.

I have reloaded the latest firmware more than once.

Thanks
Low voltage / high drain / an old battery can increase the frequency of lockups. If you're battery is old I'd consider replacing it. But as others have said, infrequent lockups can happen with any camera and are nothing to worry about.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-22-2015, 04:19 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The same has happened with my *istD and my K20D.

As adam said, an old battery can caused this lockups, but also, I've discovered that any time one of the Av or Tv dials, or the focus point selector dial is moved (by accident) into a "between clicks" position, then strange camera behaviors can be expected, including lock up. This also applies to the Av Tv dials in battery grips too.
02-23-2015, 07:11 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks guys for the feedback. May well be linked to my aging batteries, but it is infrequent, so based on the above, seems like no need to give it any more thought. Thanks again!
02-25-2015, 01:08 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
An old battery it was (I think)!

Well...I turned the camera on again with the same battery and it locked up right away (first shot). Turned it off and on, and same thing. I changed the battery and it magically disappeared and it's operating fine. No lock ups or anything after multiple tries. I think the feedback was correct. It looks like it was an old battery and maybe its useful life is over. I didn't realize till I got the feedback from this thread that this could be the source of it.

Thanks