Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2015, 07:20 PM   #1

K3 and yongnuo 560iii triggers

Hi
This is my first post.
I'm tired of researching and looking and looking for the info I need so I'm sorry if this has been answered already but can anyone just give me a strait up answer on what triggers I need for my yongnuo 570iii on K3 ??
Also I took a portrait course today and my K3 would not fire their lights in manual mode. Does anyone know what I did in my settings to cause this ? It did it in aperture P but not manual.
Thanks again for your time

02-22-2015, 07:27 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ichibanawa Quote
just give me a strait up answer on what triggers I need for my yongnuo 570iii on K3
Short-short answer: YN-560TX, RF-603N or RF-603NII. Nikon versions, NOT Canon. (I can get some Canon versions to work, but most people can't, so just go with Nikon.)

What shutter speed were you using in manual mode?
02-22-2015, 08:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I use YN560TX (Nikon) and before that an RF-602RX (Canon.... avoid troubles and buy the Nikon version) on my K30, shutter speed is max 1/180, beyond that speed the flash do not fire
02-22-2015, 09:04 PM   #4

Original Poster
1/200 and playing up and down from there

02-22-2015, 10:44 PM   #5

Original Poster
So is there a limitation to Pentax cameras as far as this goes ?
It was frustrating when people were shooting with 6 yr old entry level canons and I couldn't make anything work.
Thanks for the trigger advice, it's a relief to get some strait answers
02-23-2015, 01:18 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Ichibanawa, before signing yourself up for lessons you really have to know your camera inside out, because the instructor has a lesson he or she wants to deliver without being burdened by students who can't operate their own camera.

At the very least, have a PDF of the manual on your phone so you can look settings up quickly.

The shutter speed where HSS flash is needed instead of a 'normal' one is around 1/200s.

For Pentax, the Fuji XT1 and the Sony A7R amongst others, it's 1 /180s.

The instructor might want everyone to shoot at more than this, say 1/125s, if the flashes are off camera and some electronic lag might be present.

Ultimately, this is a DSLR, *you* have control over shutter speed, ISO and aperture to make it all work.

I have used ND filters in some circumstances to drag the shutter speed down outside, for instance, because I wanted the lens to stay open.

Last edited by clackers; 02-23-2015 at 01:23 AM.
02-23-2015, 02:20 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1/200 and playing up and down from there
As already indicated, shutter speeds should be slower than or equal to the x-sync speed; so 1/180 (x-sync), 1/125 etc. Pentax cameras block faster shutter speeds (e.g. 1/250) unless they detect the presence of a flash in HSS (high speed sync) mode.

Other brands have a different x-sync (1/200, 1/250 depending on make/model).

02-23-2015, 06:08 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for the help, I appreciate it greatly.
As far as knowing my camera I have studied the shit out of the manual and hours and hours of online videos.
You might be able to absorb everything you read and remember it on command but unfortunately I cannot.
Where I live I am the token Pentaxian at every event,course,get together, whatever so it's always a bit of a struggle
with a few issues especially for a beginner.
Thanks again
02-23-2015, 07:37 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks for the help, I appreciate it greatly.
As far as knowing my camera I have studied the shit out of the manual and hours and hours of online videos.
You might be able to absorb everything you read and remember it on command but unfortunately I cannot.
Where I live I am the token Pentaxian at every event,course,get together, whatever so it's always a bit of a struggle
with a few issues especially for a beginner.
Thanks again
No worries.

That's why I was encouraging you to have the manual with you.

You can even supplement it with one of Yvon Bourge's PDFs ... 'ebooks4pentax' is his handle here. :-)

And I have snipped many pieces of advice out of this forum and saved them into Evernote for future reference.
02-23-2015, 11:51 PM   #10

Original Poster
Great idea thanks, I have my manual downloaded to iBooks on my phone and it's always with me.