Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-23-2015, 04:08 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can't open RAW

I used my new K3 today, and have got some (well one) superb photos. I have just gone to open them and all I get is the PEF icon and cannot open in Bridge. I have tried every darn thing, and downloaded god knows how many úpdates but to no avail. I just get the message "..."camera model not supported" I am so unhappy! I can't even go to a friend's house because I delete the files once they are put into Bridge!
Please someone out there tell what to do.

02-23-2015, 04:21 AM   #2
Veteran Member

In your camera settings change the RAW type to DNG.

For the PEF files you have, try the free Adobe DNG Converter
Adobe - Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter : For Windows : Adobe DNG Converter 8.7.1
02-23-2015, 04:44 AM   #3

Original Poster
I shall give that a try right now.

---------- Post added 02-23-2015 at 04:54 AM ----------

Ok I shall change the setting to DNG but too late methinks for these. I have done the download and it now appears in a list of Adobe items. do I do some thing else, because I am still just getting the PEF icon instead of images? I wait with baited breath.
02-23-2015, 05:28 AM   #4
Pentaxian

What version of Photoshop and Bridge are you using? After downloading the Adobe DNG converter you need to use it to convert your PEF files to dng.

02-23-2015, 05:50 AM   #5

Original Poster
Why does the Pentax booklet say that the default for raw is pef?
Not sure what is happening at the moment but I have clicked on the icon for the new programme and am now (I think converting images to DNG) Once they are converted I hope hope hope that they will open.

---------- Post added 02-23-2015 at 05:52 AM ----------

Thanks Oldbay your message popped up just as I hit send above. I took me a while to do what you have just said. I didn't know I had to click on the icon. Fingers crossed. Watch this space.

---------- Post added 02-23-2015 at 05:55 AM ----------

Sadly after a long wait when I go into the new folder which I named 'saved' there is 'no images to display'

---------- Post added 02-23-2015 at 06:01 AM ----------

Ok It looks all right. The images appear to have been saved in the same folder in which they were icons. The icons are still there but so too are the images. I can't thank you enough Steve. I had downloaded a lot of updates, but the one you gave was the correct one. Thanks, And you too Old bay runner. I shall post a pic in a minute.
02-23-2015, 06:02 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Lesson learned Never let software decide when to delete files. You want to be in control; only delete once you have imported AND made a backup of the originals.

QuoteOriginally posted by trishytee Quote
Why does the Pentax booklet say that the default for raw is pef?
Because that is the default that the camera is set to when you get it. You should not read that as "it is the standard".
02-23-2015, 06:25 AM - 1 Like   #7

Original Poster
I hope I have done this right. It's no comp winner, but I really liked it.

---------- Post added 02-23-2015 at 06:58 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
Lesson learned Never let software decide when to delete files. You want to be in control; only delete once you have imported AND made a backup of the originals.

Because that is the default that the camera is set to when you get it. You should not read that as "it is the standard".
I did have it on PEF as that is what the default was. I did not change it, but it seems that I need to put it onto DNG, otherwise I shall have to convert each time I use the K3? I have always had my Pentax set to default (which was pef in k7 etc) this is the only time I have had this problem.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
02-23-2015, 09:12 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I have always had my Pentax set to default (which was pef in k7 etc) this is the only time I have had this problem.
Is your version of Bridge up to date? Adobe K-3 PEF support was slow in coming for Lightroom (this last Spring) and it is possible that an updated version of Bridge might work.

Steve
02-23-2015, 09:40 AM   #9

You need Camera Raw 8.3 or higher or DNG Converter 8.3 or higher to handle native K-3 PEF files. Your Adobe software has to be at a high enough version to support Camera Raw 8.3 or higher (Photoshop CC and CS6, Lightroom 5.3).

A matrix of camera raw support for Lightroom:
https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

There are other software packages out there that support the K-3 PEF rawfiles.
02-23-2015, 10:25 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

it seems that I need to put it onto DNG
Don't worry. You won't lose anything by saving as DNG.

The RAW image data of a PEF file and a DNG file are identical. Only the header (EXIF data) information differs. In general, the DNG format will be more universally supported by various softwares and operating systems than will be the PEF.

Kudos to Pentax for supporting the DNG format; most other camera manufacturers don't.

Cheers,
Lou
02-23-2015, 09:42 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I have always had my Pentax set to default (which was pef in k7 etc) this is the only time I have had this problem.
I switched to DNG when I got the K5; at that time the software that I used did not support K5 PEFs (properly).
02-24-2015, 02:58 AM   #12

Original Poster
All very confusing, I'm afraid. I have tried updating Camera Raw, but seems no matter which update I try I just can't get it to work. I have Photoshop CS5 I just thank goodness that Steve put me onto the converter! I suppose I shall have to make sure I always have the DNG setting on, though why it is defaulted to PEF I don't know?
02-24-2015, 03:29 AM   #13

Photoshop CS5 is only compatible up to Camera Raw 6.7. You need Camera Raw 8.3 or higher to support the K-3 PEF files.

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/camera-raw-compatible-applications.html
02-24-2015, 03:48 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I suppose I shall have to make sure I always have the DNG setting on, though why it is defaulted to PEF I don't know?
Can you elaborate? Do you mean that the camera does not remember?
02-24-2015, 04:13 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is defaulted to PEF because that is the Pentax standard. Nikons are defaulted to NEF and canons to cr2, etc... The bonus with Pentax is that you have the option to just save the files in DNG format and never have to convert them. I'm not aware that c or n allows such an option. There is no reason not to do so. Every camera needs to be set up for initial use, from the time zone, to the various other preferences available ( which in the K3 are more extensive than almost any other camera) you simply have to get the tool to work the way you want it to work. There is no secret here. Just set the camera to DNG and forgedaboudit.

Nice shot of your State faunal emblem

Last edited by wizofoz; 02-24-2015 at 04:19 AM.