Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2015, 03:21 PM   #1
Forum Member

Lexar 64G slow performance?

I bought a Lexar 64G SDXC class 10 400x (60MB/s) a few weeks ago : Amazon.com: Lexar Professional 400x 64GB SDXC UHS-I Flash Memory Card LSD64GCTBNA400: Computers & Accessories

I don't think it's particularly slow when taking pics/video and writing on card, but the problem is it takes too long to make any change on JPEG file when I view them on computer-for example, when viewing portrait shots, changing rotation by 90 CCW and saving the change in the images on this card takes too long (around 20 sec or more.)

I have a Sandisk Extreme SDHC 8G card (also class 10), and it takes just a fraction of the time (around 3 sec) to rotate and save pics with exact same condition. I use an SDXC/SDHC reader, plugged into a USB 2.0 input in my computer.

My question is, is it because of the 64G vs 8G difference in storage, or SDXC vs SDHC? Or Lexar is inferior to Sandisk, even with better writing/reading speed in paper spec?

Does anyone have an experience like me? I'm not sure if I have to return this one and get a Sandisk Extreme. I want to keep it because I got it at a very good price from Amazon. Thanks for any comment.

02-23-2015, 03:37 PM   #2

Are you importing the pictures to your computer? That seems like it would be the easiest way to do anything and once the pictures are off of it it shouldn't have an effect on anything
02-23-2015, 03:46 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ychousa Quote
I have a Sandisk Extreme SDHC 8G card (also class 10), and it takes just a fraction of the time (around 3 sec) to rotate and save pics with exact same condition. I use an SDXC/SDHC reader, plugged into a USB 2.0 input in my computer.
If the card reader does not support UHS-I, then it won't be able to take advantage of the 64Gb card's highest transfer speeds. I believe that this might be the culprit, as it's possible that the 8Gb card is faster over the standard (non UHS) bus.

As a side note, keep in mind that the top theoretical speed of USB2 is 60Mb/s, so in practice you would need a USB3 reader to get the best performance out of your new card.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-23-2015, 04:02 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by IsaacT Quote
Are you importing the pictures to your computer?
No, this is the step that I review the images on my screen before importing anything. I normally don't import to my hard drive though.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If the card reader does not support UHS-I, then it won't be able to take advantage of the 64Gb card's highest transfer speeds. I believe that this might be the culprit, as it's possible that the 8Gb card is faster over the standard (non UHS) bus.
Hmm.. My card reader is "Transcend TS-RDF5K USB 3.0 Support SDHC (UHS-I), SDXC (UHS-I), microSD, microSDH," so it looks it supports UHS-1. Not sure what could be wrong.. Maybe I need to try a different card reader?

02-23-2015, 04:50 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by ychousa Quote
No, this is the step that I review the images on my screen before importing anything. I normally don't import to my hard drive though.

Hmm.. My card reader is "Transcend TS-RDF5K USB 3.0 Support SDHC (UHS-I), SDXC (UHS-I), microSD, microSDH," so it looks it supports UHS-1. Not sure what could be wrong.. Maybe I need to try a different card reader?
I see three possibilities:

One is that the card and the reader just don't have the level of compatibility that they should. Given that there are hundreds of brands made by dozens of manufacturers, implementations of the protocols in both readers and cards varies, and sometimes you are just unlucky and your reader doesn't get along with some brands or some models from some manufacturers. If you reader prefers SanDisk then buy those all the time.

Second, it's a faulty card. Only Lexar can check that so it's up to you if you want it tested you'd probably have to send it to them.

Third is that it's a fake card and a cheap knock-off, rather than a genuine Lexar. This is the least likely of the three but it is definitely possible. Once again sending it to Lexar is the only way I know to check. Buying it on Amazon makes this unlikely, but it does happen sometimes.

EDIT to add: It's most likely a compatibility problem. Whilst I would expect a SanDisk to be fast, Lexar cards are also fast and there shouldn't be a dramatic difference. If you have the chance to try it in a Lexar reader or another one different from your own that might be a good check. Test the Sandisk card that's normally much faster (in your reader) too, to ensure a fair comparison.

Last edited by Fire Angel; 02-23-2015 at 04:56 PM. Reason: spelling & additional information
02-23-2015, 05:10 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fire Angel Quote
One is that the card and the reader just don't have the level of compatibility that they should. Given that there are hundreds of brands made by dozens of manufacturers, implementations of the protocols in both readers and cards varies, and sometimes you are just unlucky and your reader doesn't get along with some brands or some models from some manufacturers. If you reader prefers SanDisk then buy those all the time. Second, it's a faulty card. Only Lexar can check that so it's up to you if you want it tested you'd probably have to send it to them.
Great suggestions! I'll see some options and decide what to do. Third is probably not possible b/c it was sold directly by Amazon, not by a 3-rd party Amazon seller. At least, I'm glad to find that this is NOT normal-I was contemplating whether this long delay was normal for a 64G SDXC card. I guess some incompatibility might be the culprit. I'll try to change the reader. Right now, I've been doing some stupid thing to turn images CCW then turn it to CW to avoid this stupidly long waiting time :-) Thanks!
02-23-2015, 05:14 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Try doing a full format of the card (rather than just a quick format), and see if that helps speed up the write times. If it doesn't, I'd exchange it as others have suggested.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-23-2015, 08:22 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Try doing a full format of the card (rather than just a quick format), and see if that helps speed up the write times. If it doesn't, I'd exchange it as others have suggested.
Thanks for your suggestion, Adam! I'll definitely do a full format. Thanks!