Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2015, 02:45 PM   #1

Sticky On/Off switch

Hi folks, i've a problem with my K3, it went through some champagne that was showered during a carnival party, the lens was also affected, not being able to zoom or focus but a simple rinse of water cleaned it. However, the switch of the camera remains sticky and very hard to move, i washed it almost 15 times, it went better in the first 5 cleanses, but it's still stiff.
My procedure was:
Taking out the battery, letting some light stream of water go over it and start moving the lever, then drying it with a towel and leaving the camera in a place to fully dry.
I tried it with cold water, warm water, warm water and soap.
Last night i tried puring a tiny bit of talc powder, but didn't help.
After the last cleanings, i've been drying it with tiny bits of newsprint.

May i try to clean it with isopropyl alcohol? I'm not sure if it will harm the weather seals.
Or just leave it like that letting it dry completely.

Sending it for service is impossible for me, i live in Bolivia and we have no repair service for Pentax here.

BTW, only the on/off lever is affected, not the shutter button and the camera is still working without any issues.

Thanks in advance!

02-27-2015, 03:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fosforito Quote
Hi folks, i've a problem with my K3, it went through some champagne that was showered during a carnival party, the lens was also affected, not being able to zoom or focus but a simple rinse of water cleaned it. However, the switch of the camera remains sticky and very hard to move, i washed it almost 15 times, it went better in the first 5 cleanses, but it's still stiff.
My procedure was:
Taking out the battery, letting some light stream of water go over it and start moving the lever, then drying it with a towel and leaving the camera in a place to fully dry.
I tried it with cold water, warm water, warm water and soap.
Last night i tried puring a tiny bit of talc powder, but didn't help.
After the last cleanings, i've been drying it with tiny bits of newsprint.

May i try to clean it with isopropyl alcohol? I'm not sure if it will harm the weather seals.
Or just leave it like that letting it dry completely.

Sending it for service is impossible for me, i live in Bolivia and we have no repair service for Pentax here.

BTW, only the on/off lever is affected, not the shutter button and the camera is still working without any issues.

Thanks in advance!
I hope the champagne was of premium quality, the K-3 deserves no less!! Jokes apart I had the very same problem with my K10 and that on-off button never turned to be the same! A bit sticky but operational. Rinse with water and air dry it! We hope it comes back to normal!!
NO ALCOHOL !!! Buena suerte !
02-27-2015, 04:17 PM - 1 Like   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
I hope the champagne was of premium quality, the K-3 deserves no less!! Jokes apart I had the very same problem with my K10 and that on-off button never turned to be the same! A bit sticky but operational. Rinse with water and air dry it! We hope it comes back to normal!!
NO ALCOHOL !!! Buena suerte !
Hahah gracias!
The worst part is that only a few bottles were champagne, the rest was cider! :/
03-01-2015, 06:20 PM   #4

Original Poster
So i finally cleaned it, the lever works like new. But somehow i lost some resistance in the half press of the shutter button