Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2015, 06:45 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
30 frames max before buffer in JPEG

I just got my K-3 and love it! I always shoot in RAW and so I only expect 20-25 frames continuous before buffer with this camera. I was testing to see how the JPEG worked since the specs say up to 60 frames continuous before buffer. I have only been able to get up to 28 frames before it needs to buffer in JPEG mode and am wondering what I'm doing wrong. I am using a LEXAR UHS-1 Class 10 32 gb 600x card. I have watched demonstrations on YouTube and so I know that the K-3 should be able to perform how it's advertised. Any answers?!

02-28-2015, 06:49 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With a fast enough card you should be able to get 40-50 frames in practice; that's what I got with Sandisk 45Mb/s and 90Mb/s cards, respectively.

However, the number of frames will depend on your settings and the scene itself. If you have lens corrections enabled, for example, the burst rate will slow down considerably due to processing overhead.

If you want the absolute best performance, I'd recommend this card:
SanDisk 32GB Extreme Pro UHS-I SDHC U3 Memory SDSDXP-032G-A46

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-28-2015, 06:56 PM   #3

Original Poster
I also have a PNY 90 mb/s UHS-1 Class 10 and still the same thing. I turned off my lens correction. Anything else?
02-28-2015, 07:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you want write speeds at 90mb/s, buy sandisk. If you want read speeds at 90mb/s, and write speeds at a much lower figure, buy any other brand

Make sure you don't have any NR that switches on automatically at high ISO, shadow & highlight corrections are turned off, CA and distortion corrections, basically anything that takes time to process.

---------- Post added 03-01-15 at 02:20 AM ----------

Just checked, the lexar writes at 45mb/s, the pny at 60mb/s. (Sandisk extreme pro write at 90mb/s)

Last edited by robthebloke; 02-28-2015 at 07:22 PM.
02-28-2015, 07:24 PM   #5

Original Poster
I just don't understand how an SD card company can make the difference. I did research to see if the LEXAR would be at least some what comparable to the Sandisk and it seemed like it would. I knew the PNY would be less and that's why it's my back up. Even if Adam is getting his full performance with a 45 mb/s sandisk you'd think I should be able to get that with the Lexar professional 600x. Which is rated better. I've got so many settings off and I'm still getting the same low performance at only about 27 frames until buffer.
03-01-2015, 01:27 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The number on the card is the burst read speed. It often bears little relation to the write speed, or for that matter to the read speed over time.

Here's a real-world test of a bunch of modern SD cards on a Nikon D750. Scroll to the second chart and you can see it done with JPG only. The 750 is a 24 megapixel camera, so the file sizes should be roughly comparable.

Nikon D750 SD Card Comparison - Write speed test and fastest continuous shooting performance - Camera Memory Speed Comparison & Performance tests for SD and CF cards

Sandisk (really, they should be saying Sandisk Extreme, because Sandisk makes consumer cards that are just as misleading as others) tends to have reliable write performance, especially in their "pro" line.

That said, isn't the buffer separate from the SD card? How big are the resultant JPG files when you're testing this? I'm wondering if you're doing something (like maybe turning in-camera sharpening up all the way) that might make the files larger than a JPG taken with the default settings.
03-01-2015, 03:03 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yes the buffer is separate, but if you have space for say 25 frames, and the SD card can write 5 frames before the buffer fills up, you can get 30 frames before it runs out. If however you have a faster card, you should be able to squeeze a few more shots in.

03-01-2015, 05:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I use Delkin cards and get great results: 80MB/S write and 95MB/S read (actual speeds), plus they have a lifetime guarantee. The speed listed on most cards is generally the read-speed, and it is often rated in "class", such as "90MB/S Class", which means the manufacturer wants you to believe it is somewhere near the speed printed on the card. Its like when you buy a "47-inch Class" television and find out it is actually only 44.7 inches.

With the smallest .jpg settings, a fast shutter speed, no in-camera processing enabled, and fast cards in both slots, you should be getting 50+ frames in the buffer before it slows.
03-01-2015, 08:56 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for all the info! I'm gonna see if I can find a friend that has a Sandisk and test it out. I wish there was a way that when the buffer is full on one card it would switch to the other card. I'm still learning all the settings on this camera. I had a Nikon D90 before this.
03-01-2015, 10:14 AM   #10

Original Poster
Ok, Here's something weird. I have an old 50mm Pentax lens and I threw it on the K3. Aperture is set to 2.0, jpeg, shutter is at 1/8000, Full manual mode, and it just took 94 frames before buffering. When I have my kit lens on, the 18-55 WR, It still will only get about 26 frames before buffering.
Any thoughts on why this happens?
03-01-2015, 05:06 PM - 1 Like   #11

JeldyMT, one thing that can also make a difference without any other changes is how you're doing focusing as well as actual lighting conditions. In indoor sports sometimes the lighting is so bad that at best I'll be some where about half that speed just because it takes a while to focus in poor lighting.

Some additional ideas is to use the back focus, and only occasionally press it.

In short, I'd think "efficiency" and depending on what the lighting and conditions are, the more features one can turn off on the camera (especially focus and exposure calculations) the more the work can go into the frame rate.
03-02-2015, 01:26 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JedlyMT Quote
Ok, Here's something weird. I have an old 50mm Pentax lens and I threw it on the K3. Aperture is set to 2.0, jpeg, shutter is at 1/8000, Full manual mode, and it just took 94 frames before buffering. When I have my kit lens on, the 18-55 WR, It still will only get about 26 frames before buffering.
Any thoughts on why this happens?
are you *sure* you have all the lens correction options turned off? Because that seems like a pretty clear indication that you don't.