Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2015, 10:07 AM   #1

Is my K5 really dead?

I have had this particular camera for almost 3 years now, and it has performed amazingly.

Now, when I shoot an image, the camera gets lost in an endless loop of 'processing noise.' The mirror returns, but no image was created, or, about half the time, the mirror won't return, the processor noise continues, and the only way to get the mirror to return is by removing the battery.

I tried installing the most up to date firmware, but to no avail. Is my baby actually dead?

03-01-2015, 10:55 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Pentax Forums! It is possible that your camera has died. It is also possible that your battery has simply reached end-of-life. Lithium cells had a finite lifespan regardless of how they are used and as they age may not be able to reliably provide consistent voltage under load. A new battery might bring your camera back to normality.

Steve
03-01-2015, 11:11 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Your troubleshooting instinct should step in immediately.... turn off everything in the 'memory' tab and reset the camera to default to see what happens..
03-01-2015, 11:29 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, the problem repeats with all three batteries I have, including the two new ones.

03-01-2015, 11:32 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Your troubleshooting instinct should step in immediately.... turn off everything in the 'memory' tab and reset the camera to default to see what happens..
Great suggestions too... Unfortunately the problem persists. Thanks though!
03-01-2015, 11:54 AM   #6
Site Supporter

I assume you've tried different lenses but problem still persists? Does it happen on every shooting mode? When you say no image is created, does it create an image file on the SD card but no image, or no file at all (JPEG/RAW)? What I'm getting at is could it be the camera is somehow taking a long exposure and creating an all washed-out image?
03-01-2015, 12:07 PM   #7

Original Poster
Yeah, I have tried every shooting mode, and manual and auto-focus. I haven't changed lenses, but it seemed like it wouldn't be a lens problem. It will usually place no image on the card, but occasionally there'll be an image almost totally black with random color stripes... I will try my other lens and let you know if it fixes the problem. Great suggestions- thanks!
03-01-2015, 12:16 PM   #8
Marketplace Reseller

Try a different SD card. If yours is corrupt, it might be having problems performing writes. The random color stripes are often a symptom of a bad card.

03-01-2015, 12:44 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Try a different SD card. If yours is corrupt, it might be having problems performing writes. The random color stripes are often a symptom of a bad card.
Thanks for the suggestion... Which I tried and which didn't fix it. I wish there were a way to 'restore' the camera like with an iPhone, by simply plugging it in and scanning it for bad areas of the internal memory and replacing the firmware. It seems almost certain that there is something up with the internal memory...at least to my limited knowledge.
03-01-2015, 01:06 PM   #10
Marketplace Reseller

Well, if it turns out to be really dead, now is a great time to find a deal on a used one on ebay. There's a discussion going on about it in this thread.
03-01-2015, 03:28 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

It is possible that the mirror is sticking. Have you tried using live view mode? The other thing you can try is to lock the mirror up and see if the mirror locks up right away and returns after the picture is finished. There is a debugging mode but I do not know how to access it. Of course there are many people here who know how.
03-01-2015, 03:33 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Well, if it turns out to be really dead, now is a great time to find a deal on a used one on ebay. There's a discussion going on about it in this thread.
Those are some great prices! I'm feeling way less discouraged after reading that...

---------- Post added 03-01-15 at 04:36 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
It is possible that the mirror is sticking. Have you tried using live view mode? The other thing you can try is to lock the mirror up and see if the mirror locks up right away and returns after the picture is finished. There is a debugging mode but I do not know how to access it. Of course there are many people here who know how.
Live view mode just results in a black screen, unfortunately. I have heard mention of this 'debug mode' but it seems to me that it's more like a hack, something that's maybe only accessible by repair technicians who know the codes... At this point, it couldn't hurt to try.

You guys are great! I've been lurking around here reading, but the first time I've had a real problem, everyone has been really helpful.
03-01-2015, 04:17 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by drsfoto Quote

Live view mode just results in a black screen, unfortunately.
^This is what concerns me. At live view you should be seeing images directly from the sensor. If images are black on LV, either the curtain is closed/stuck or the sensor is bad, sorry to say. Entering debug mode is easy but can also be dangerous, as it can brick the camera if the user isn't careful with the options. Curious if you tried activating the shutter without a lens and see how the camera behaves?
03-01-2015, 07:13 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K57XR Quote
^This is what concerns me. At live view you should be seeing images directly from the sensor. If images are black on LV, either the curtain is closed/stuck or the sensor is bad, sorry to say. Entering debug mode is easy but can also be dangerous, as it can brick the camera if the user isn't careful with the options. Curious if you tried activating the shutter without a lens and see how the camera behaves?
If you turn on live view mode without the lens on, it just has a flickering black lcd no matter what it's pointed at. I can see the sensor in there, so it seems that the curtain is fine. That leaves a bad sensor to blame. So sad - it was a wonderful camera... Thanks again for all your help.

I'll be looking on eBay for one of those 'stained sensor' K-5's - nothing a little photoshop can't fix. Since I mainly work with film, I spend a lot of time healing dust spots. It's tempting to want to upgrade, since the prices seem good, but money is tight at the moment, so going for under $100 seems to be the best option to essentially replace what I already have.