Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-01-2015, 10:11 AM   #1

XG-1 focus issue

Hi there.

I have just purchased an XG-1 as a stop-gap to replacing my broken 70-300mm DSLR lens with something too expensive to by right now

After reading this review;
Pentax XG-1 Review | PhotographyBLOG

I chose the XG-1 as it appears to offer a lot of features for the price. One of the most attractive features for me is the 52x optical zoom.

However, I am a bit disappointed as it refuses to focus when zooming in over x15 (> 400mm). I wouldn't mind so much if I could switch to manual focus, but there isn't a setting for it.

This also becomes a big problem when using video, as the camera is constantly altering the focus - thereby rendering any clip useless.

I am hoping that if the focus issue can't be fixed by a firmware update, then at least offer the user a manual focus mode.

Another wee problem is, seeing as the battery doesn't last too long, it would be nice to be able to use the camera while it is being charged via USB. My son has taken to doing a bit of Lego animation, where uninterrupted use of the camera is important

Am I the only one to have these issues? Am I missing a setting or something? I have referred to the manual but can't find anything.

I'd be interested to know if anyone is having this problem, and is there a known communication path to use in submitting bugs directly to Ricoh/Pentax in order that they can issue a firmware update?

Many thanks in anticipation for any help.

Last edited by m25er; 03-04-2015 at 01:21 PM.
03-28-2015, 10:09 AM   #2

Experienced photographer here and just took delivery of my nice power zoom, XG-1 bridge camera. My first favorable impression went quickly (and sadly) downhill. Two major problems: this camera WILL NOT focus at any object over 350-450mm! I have tried P, A, T, and Auto and it refuses to focus..just the out of focus red triangle. I have focus set to continuous focus and it still will not focus in either continuous on or off. I've tried different metering from Area, Center, and Spot and still no focus. And to make matters worse, every time the camera is turned on/off, the continuous on is then turned off! What a absolute disaster this camera's software is.
Since it's Saturday morning and Ricoh/Pentax are closed, I will wait until Monday morning to see if a firmware update has been issued and if not, Amazon gets a return and Pentax gets a bad review for this camera. Why they released this camera with this major fail to focus problem is very disappointing and does not speak well of Pentax..at all.

For comparison, I've owned both Canon SX40 and SX50 and both are pretty much bullet proof. I had a Nikon P510 that was a very good camera with no issues. I currently own a Fuji XS-1 and it's a great camera to shoot, but has half the reach of others at 26X optical. It's given me some excellent images, but I was looking for a bit more reach and a smaller form camera as the Fuji is big and easily DSLR size..about equal to my K50.

Sorry for the cold, hard, and ugly facts on the XG-1, but it's a half baked disaster as is.
03-28-2015, 10:20 AM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jimx200 Quote
I've tried different metering from Area, Center, and Spot and still no focus.
I have tried P, A, T, and Auto and it refuses to focus..
As an "experienced photographer" you know that neither mode nor metering have anything to do with focus, right?
03-28-2015, 02:26 PM - 1 Like   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
...this camera WILL NOT focus at any object over 350-450mm!
Are you certain that you are shooting with the XG-1? The zoom range is 4.3mm-223.6mm.

Assuming you are shooting with an XG-1, the minimum focus distance at the long end of the range is 3 meters (39"). Is there any chance you are attempting to focus on a subject that is too close when not in macro mode? Alternatively, are you attempting to use the longer zoom settings on a distant subject when you ARE in macro mode? The specs for the camera indicate that macro mode is not available at longer focal lengths. I don't have an XG-1 to fiddle with and have no idea if that combination is possible without all kinds of blinking displays and such, but it is worth a thought.

BTW...I will apologize for both myself and the moderator (above) for having a somewhat sarcastic tone, but it is highly unusual for new forum members to announce their presence with a rant. If you are having trouble with the camera, contact the store from who you made the purchase. It is possible that yours has a defect and they will be able to issue you a replacement. I would suggest that the manual might be your first source of help, but from what I can tell, the camera is pretty much idiot proof and simple to operate and the manual reflects that simplicity. There don't appear to be many subtleties of operation, though there might be a few undocumented gotchas.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-28-2015 at 03:11 PM.
03-28-2015, 03:10 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
...neither mode nor metering have anything to do with focus, right?
That would generally be true unless the user is in Auto mode. In Auto mode the camera will auto-detect the appropriate scene mode, one of which is macro.

Steve
03-30-2015, 10:12 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
As an "experienced photographer" you know that neither mode nor metering have anything to do with focus, right?
Yes, we;; aware and shooting for straws by trying anything.

---------- Post added 03-30-15 at 10:36 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Are you certain that you are shooting with the XG-1? The zoom range is 4.3mm-223.6mm.

Assuming you are shooting with an XG-1, the minimum focus distance at the long end of the range is 3 meters (39"). Is there any chance you are attempting to focus on a subject that is too close when not in macro mode? Alternatively, are you attempting to use the longer zoom settings on a distant subject when you ARE in macro mode? The specs for the camera indicate that macro mode is not available at longer focal lengths. I don't have an XG-1 to fiddle with and have no idea if that combination is possible without all kinds of blinking displays and such, but it is worth a thought.

BTW...I will apologize for both myself and the moderator (above) for having a somewhat sarcastic tone, but it is highly unusual for new forum members to announce their presence with a rant. If you are having trouble with the camera, contact the store from who you made the purchase. It is possible that yours has a defect and they will be able to issue you a replacement. I would suggest that the manual might be your first source of help, but from what I can tell, the camera is pretty much idiot proof and simple to operate and the manual reflects that simplicity. There don't appear to be many subtleties of operation, though there might be a few undocumented gotchas.

Steve
Steve, I came here looking for answers on the XG-1 and have no agenda. I shoot a K50 and love it. Better check your zoom range numbers as this one has massive zoom at 52X optical or 24-1248mm equivalent. I got off the phone with Pentax/Ricoh and they did not have a tech to even address this camera. Person I spoke to was a customer service rep who suggested I just buy their DSLR...lol. There has been no firmware issued or being worked on according to him.
This appears to be a sister camera (possible twin) of the Kodak PIXPRO AZ522 of which I have shot and it's a fine camera with solid focus at all lengths. I bought this one as a gift to my daughter based on it's cheap price of $188. and Pentax reliability and performance. I do see the AZ522 is made in China and the XG-1 is made in Malaysia so different factories, but menu's, specs, and overall layout are identical.
The reason I doubt it's defective is that it mirrors the problem(s) of the first poster here and from another user I found this forum with Google when searching for focus problems with the camera. No agenda from me other than pointing out it's problems. The positives are that it's well made, images at 100-400ISO are sharp with really nice saturation, able to quickly focus from macro to the 300/350mm range is fine, but no focus past that..maddening. I suspect Pentax will let this one fade away like their previous and out of production X-5 model. Time to move on with a different camera and thank for the suggestions.
03-30-2015, 09:41 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Better check your zoom range numbers as this one has massive zoom at 52X
I took the numbers from the specification in the user manual.

Time to move on with a different camera and thank for the suggestions.
Good idea. Your best resource would be the shop where you bought the camera (Amazon or one or their resellers) either to get a replacement or a refund. Good luck! I hope you are able to get a reliable and appropriate camera for your daughter.

Steve