Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2015, 12:18 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K3 Update Question Camera Turned Itself Off?

Hi All,

Just going to say that all is well, however, I wanted to share my experience.

I started the update on my K3 successfully, with the latest file ( FWDC220B.bin ) in the root directory of the card, and pressed START.

I noticed the camera LCD screen flashing Loading, and put the camera down. A few minutes later there was no activity, and the camera seemed to have powered itself off.

There was no message saying COMPLETE, as the Ricoh page says I should get.

I waited about 5 minutes, and then pressed the shutter release button to reactivate the camera. On checking the functions, all was well and the menu says I had successfully installed the new version 1.11 of the software.

I then turned off the camera and turned it on, I seem to have a perfectly working camera.

It is possible the update happened, and then the camera did an auto power down before I noticed the COMPLETE on the LCD screen.

Just wanted to share the experience, in case some one else wonders.

03-03-2015, 12:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Yes, it shuts itself off. As long as it says the right firmware version it's fine.
03-03-2015, 12:23 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"Complete" only flashes on the screen for a bit, easy to miss it. I think many have had the same experience as you. That strange sense of dread when it looks like the camera is bricked.

But all is well
03-03-2015, 12:41 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Yes, it shuts itself off. As long as it says the right firmware version it's fine.
Thank goodness!

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
"Complete" only flashes on the screen for a bit, easy to miss it. I think many have had the same experience as you. That strange sense of dread when it looks like the camera is bricked.

But all is well
Bricked is such an "APT" term.

I believe that the instructions could refer to this happening! If I did it, and you have both had the same experience, so have others. In a way I am surprised that the .bin file does not do a one time over ride on shutting off the camera, and displaying Complete for a half hour or so. In the sake of being user friendly.

All's well that ends well!

03-03-2015, 12:59 PM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by ROBEFFY Quote
A few minutes later there was no activity, and the camera seemed to have powered itself off.
A few scary moments there then.

Good all ended well for you.
03-03-2015, 01:00 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Saw something similar on my K50, freaked out for a few minutes and then found like you did that all was OK.
03-03-2015, 03:07 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
A few scary moments there then.

Good all ended well for you.
Absolutely! Last thing I want to do is fight my favorite toy!

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Saw something similar on my K50, freaked out for a few minutes and then found like you did that all was OK.
What a feeling of relief.

03-03-2015, 03:32 PM   #8

Seen it...

Been there, done that....