Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2015, 05:04 PM   #1

right angle view finder

Hello,
I'm new on board. My name is Tony S and I'm a dinosauar. I use only fountain pens (I'm one of those affectionados), wear French cuff shirts, 3-piece suits with a Hunting ton cased pocket watch (I collect old relics like these), and enjoy opera, single malt whiskeys, and aged Nicaraguan cigars.

I also have a Mamiya 1000 DTL, a Mamiya C330, and a 500C Hasselblad with every blessed lens, filters, shades, gizmos, you name it hat man has created to support these systems. Recently a Soligor 2000mm was purchased and now I am in a quandary: without a right angle view finder for the DTL the Soligor is useless for nighttime star and planet photography. I vaguely recall that someone told me that Pentax items were compatible with Mamiya. I sincerely hope this is true since I am in the market for one. If this is true, perhaps another member may have one for sale, or know a vendor that may supply these devices. Barring that I would welcome any suggestions as to where a Mamiya right angle finder may be found.

My profound and sincere thanks for the attention and interest in viewing this missive. Any and all responses will be greatly appreciated.
Regards to all, Tony S

03-04-2015, 06:28 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

I own a 1000 DTL and the viewfinder window frame has the same dimensions (24mm x 17mm) as that on the Spotmatic, SV, and other 60s-era Pentax bodies. I believe the size stayed the same through the 1970s on the Pentax-K series bodies, but was changed changed to a larger size in the late 1970s on the Pentax-M bodies. The larger size carries on to the present day.

So...yes, eyepiece accessories for the Spotmatic (1960s era) should work with your camera. The Refconverter and Refconverter II should work with your 1000 DTL. Later versions such as the Refconverter A and Refconverter M will not.

PENTAX Refconverter reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Note that there might also be some compatibility with Yashica accessories of the same vintage. Screwmount Ricoh (Singlex TLS and TLS 401) accessories are probably not usable due to a shallower groove in the eyepiece edge. At least that is the case with my Singlex TLS.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-04-2015 at 06:35 PM.
03-04-2015, 08:27 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supportaxian

Photos: Albums
PM sent in case you want to buy one from me. :-)
03-05-2015, 12:58 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Have one for you as well - but postage from Australia will add 20% to price.

03-05-2015, 06:34 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought a Seagull right-angle viewer a few years ago, works well enough. It has multiple adapters to fit various viewfinders. It's not super secure on the VF and of course you have to remove the rubber cushion.
Amazon.com : Seagull 1x-2x Right Angle Finder for Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Minolta, Fuji, Olympus and Leica SLR cameras : Camera Lens Diopters : Camera & Photo
03-09-2015, 11:22 AM   #6

Original Poster
Right Angle Viewfinder

To all who have replied to my query as to whether or not a Pentax right angle viewfinder will fit a Mamiya DTL1000 SLR, my sincere thanks and appreciation.

To answer the question, I visited our local Dodd's photo store. A tech by the name of Erik just so happened to have one of his own that was up for sale. Bought it, took it home, and it fit!

Apparently Mamiya adopted the standard Pentax thread mount for all its lenses, its accessories, and its flash shoe which accommodated the universal folding fan reflector AG-1 bulb flash unit. This shoe rode astride the pentaprism housing and clipped into the viewfinder side grooves. Aside from the Pentax screw lenses, all accessories carried the "Isahi/Pentax" label and were an integral part of the Mamiya family.

So, to answer the question, both systems are compatible and Pentax accessories may be employed on Mamiya platoforms with some assurety.

I sincerely hope this information and research helps others.