Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2015, 07:53 PM   #1

Pentax ME Super Advance Lever Misfire

I have an interesting situation, and whether or not it's common, I'm not sure. But my problem is that it's gotten to a point where I can pull the advance lever, and it goes all the way and pulls the shutter up with it, but then proceeds to let the shutter go when I let the wind lever go. The shutter button is pretty much useless at this point, because the shutter releases before I even have a chance to press the button. I don't know if the shutter is actually firing, or just opening and closing. The shutter speed changes based on how slowly I release the advance lever.

When I got the camera, I could pull the advance lever, (I don't know if it pulled the shutter up or not, I don't think so) and then release it, and it wouldn't do anything, nor would the shutter button. It would just crank, then I'd release it, and I could just crank it again. I felt little resistance. This was before some tinkering I shouldn't have done.

I've gone on a film craze this week, I think I've ordered ~6 cameras. I love getting them and then figuring out how they work. I would really appreciate any help, as this is the only one I haven't been able to fix. Thanks!

03-05-2015, 09:02 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's a common fault. Pitch it. It isn't worth repairing.
03-05-2015, 09:12 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wolfeye Quote
It's a common fault. Pitch it. It isn't worth repairing.
There's nothing I can do to fix it? Is it a mechanical problem? Is it gummed up seals?
03-05-2015, 09:17 PM   #4
Site Supporter

There does seem to be a weakness in the winding mechanism of the ME Super. On mine, I sometimes have to wind twice before the shutter fires. You can get it repaired by Eric if you like it enough to spend about $80. I have an MG that came with a lens. It was U/S, so I had a peek inside. I was not impressed with the quality of the parts. I think the MX must have been the best of the M series for quality.

03-05-2015, 09:22 PM   #5

Original Poster
I contacted Eric, but I wasn't looking to spend 3x the amount on a repair as I did on the camera. Looks like it's going on for parts. Thank you for the replies.
03-06-2015, 07:06 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by freefall Quote
I contacted Eric, but I wasn't looking to spend 3x the amount on a repair as I did on the camera. Looks like it's going on for parts. Thank you for the replies.
Aye, and the next time it breaks it'll be some new thing, not covered by his warranty. These cameras are getting old and just not worth fixing.
03-06-2015, 08:41 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by freefall Quote
Find another in good condition and keep your current one as a parts camera for when the new one breaks.
03-06-2015, 11:10 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
Find another in good condition and keep your current one as a parts camera for when the new one breaks.
...or find a copy of the better-spec'ed Ricoh XR7 of the same vintage. My two copies have been remarkably troublefree.*

Steve

* I actually have three XR7 bodies, but one was bricked due to a chance encounter with a defective Russian fisheye

03-07-2015, 09:27 AM   #9

Original Poster
At the moment, I have 9 film cameras not including the Super. K1000 SE brown is my favorite. So I'll just sell this one. It's in fantastic condition, it's too bad.
03-10-2015, 03:48 PM   #10
Site Supporter

I wonder if using the ME winder would solve the problem?