Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-09-2015, 07:34 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
...or having the A-contacts. If the "A" contact ("*" in diagram below) is not detected, AF will not be attempted.
It's good that the OP found a cure, but I feel compelled to add a post because I believe this statement is not accurate. IIRC the "A" contact transmits aperture information (min/max and Av from the lens if the aperture ring is set to "A").

The "Data" contact, which is the bottom-most of the seven body contacts (and not shown in the above diagram), transmits the rest of the lens info (model, screw drive/SDM, MTF in FA and later models, etc). If this contact is not functioning correctly, then the body can assume an MF lens is mounted.

Scott

03-09-2015, 01:19 PM   #17

Original Poster
Ah well, it's not over.

Midway through a session with the Sigma the AE went on the blink and the EXIF data for those shots reckoned the focal length was 2.5 m!

Swapping back to Pentax lenses brought back the AF failure and the tickle and clean routine hasn't fixed it.

It's a waning moon. Maybe that's it.

Any mileage do you think in getting a drop of WD40 into that contact? It's all I've got and am likely to have for a week.
03-09-2015, 01:24 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sigmund Quote
Any mileage do you think in getting a drop of WD40 into that contact? It's all I've got and am likely to have for a week.
Don't do that. Electronic contact cleaner is ok, but WD40 is oily and could spread into other parts. (And does it even help conductivity?) Contact cleaner is what you want -- any hardware or auto parts store...
03-09-2015, 01:35 PM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
It's good that the OP found a cure, but I feel compelled to add a post because I believe this statement is not accurate. IIRC the "A" contact transmits aperture information (min/max and Av from the lens if the aperture ring is set to "A").

The "Data" contact, which is the bottom-most of the seven body contacts (and not shown in the above diagram), transmits the rest of the lens info (model, screw drive/SDM, MTF in FA and later models, etc). If this contact is not functioning correctly, then the body can assume an MF lens is mounted.

Scott
Thanks Scott. Didn't notice your post as I was replying from p.1. Will focus on that contact (ahem).

---------- Post added 03-10-15 at 07:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Don't do that. Electronic contact cleaner is ok, but WD40 is oily and could spread into other parts. (And does it even help conductivity?) Contact cleaner is what you want -- any hardware or auto parts store...
Thanks vB. Will see if I can find some.

03-09-2015, 05:56 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote

Scott
You are correct. I have edited my original post.

Steve
03-09-2015, 09:57 PM   #21

Original Poster
Well once today I was able to return to AF with a tickle (of the 3rd contact) followed by a lens swap. But without a change of lens that setup switched to MF while I was hiking!

Wineglass Bay followed by Hazards Beach, Freycinet NP, Tasmania, Australia.
Attached Images

03-10-2015, 10:21 AM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

It sounds like maybe a service call may be in order.

Steve

03-10-2015, 12:50 PM   #23

Original Poster
Yes indeed. Not possible though as I'm travelling. It's back to the MF of my youth!
03-11-2015, 10:30 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Hmmmm... so the problem came back? As I understand, it came back after using the same Sigma that showed the problem the first time?

If that's the case, I can see a pattern here, and its not your camera who needs servicing!
03-11-2015, 12:49 PM   #25

Original Poster
Yes, though it returns as well after being tickled back to life after the Sigma bite.

Do you have the K3 rburgoss? If so can you tell me whether the 3rd contact down is recessed?
03-11-2015, 01:58 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Yes, though it returns as well after being tickled back to life after the Sigma bite.

Do you have the K3 rburgoss? If so can you tell me whether the 3rd contact down is recessed?
I can do better. This is my K3's mount contacts. They are identical to my K20D's. The 3rd contact is recessed. The 7th contact is (seems) gold.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo 
03-11-2015, 07:32 PM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

If so can you tell me whether the 3rd contact down is recessed?
QuoteOriginally posted by rburgoss Quote
The 3rd contact is recessed
The third contact on the body is always recessed.

Steve
03-11-2015, 08:18 PM   #28

Original Poster
Thanks. I thought that'd be too simple a diagnosis.

The body produced some odd yellow casts amongst the normal hues in today's shoot. Sigh.
03-21-2015, 11:15 AM   #29

Original Poster
Update: the body has returned to good behaviour & I've no idea why. The Sigma doesn't reproduce the problem.

Not very confidence inspiring.

Thanks again all for your help.
03-21-2015, 03:16 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Update: the body has returned to good behaviour & I've no idea why. The Sigma doesn't reproduce the problem.

Not very confidence inspiring.

Thanks again all for your help.
That is quite disturbing. Did you used the camera this days and just today it started be having normal, or is it that you didn't used it and just today you noticed it came back to normal behavior? If camera was not used, was the battery in it charged?

It is important to pinpoint and be able to reproduce the conditions on which the erratic behavior triggers. That will be the only way to know for sure which "link" is responsible: body, lens, battery, shooting conditions, etc.

Pls, keep us posted if anything happens again.