Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2015, 03:30 PM   #31
Forum Member

That was very interesting. Thanks for sharing that experience.

03-21-2015, 04:00 PM   #32

Original Poster
We live in interesting times.

I've been shooting almost every day while travelling. It'd settled back on AF and only because there was the chance to shoot some sea eagles did I dare to put the big Sigma back on, expecting the worst but not getting it. So as for an explanation ... scratching my head.
03-21-2015, 08:22 PM   #33
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sigmund Quote
Update: the body has returned to good behaviour & I've no idea why. The Sigma doesn't reproduce the problem.

Not very confidence inspiring...
I would say not! Things typically do not cure themselves. If it gives you any solace, I can assure you that I have not heard of anything similar on this site in the past. You are unique!

Steve
03-21-2015, 09:16 PM   #34

Original Poster
Well, I'm lucky. Just checked the receipt and there's two weeks of warranty left. I can show the distributor EXIF data showing crazy focal length values. A foot in the door in case AF goes haywire again.

03-24-2015, 12:54 AM   #35

I used to have same problem with my DA 50 to my K-3, too. AF function didn't work, even I changed to Tamron. These lenses work well with K20D.
My solution for this problem: fixed lens to camera, and then opened 1/2 and tight again. And It works.
04-09-2015, 07:04 PM   #36

Original Poster
kwaiding, thanks for the suggestion but it was tried.

The K3 has been with the importer now for two weeks and despite repeated attempts the tech has not been able to reproduce the problem. I was half hoping they'd throw me a new body but no luck. At least they've seen the crazy EXIF data on focal length (and several exposure errors) before the warranty expired.

I'll take it outback next month for some shooting and see what transpires.
04-10-2015, 07:56 AM   #37

Hope it works well.
05-31-2015, 10:17 PM   #38

Original Poster
So I took it Outback and it flipped into MF again and happily (kind of) stayed there so the tech could trace the fault to a repairable failure in the body circuitry that detects the kind of lens fitted.

What preceded this that may account for it? Days of dirt road driving, so vibration, perhaps.

06-01-2015, 07:57 AM   #39
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sigmund Quote
So I took it Outback and it flipped into MF again and happily (kind of) stayed there so the tech could trace the fault to a repairable failure in the body circuitry that detects the kind of lens fitted.

What preceded this that may account for it? Days of dirt road driving, so vibration, perhaps.
Glad you were able to reproduce the problem for the tech! Vibration could be the cause as might physical contamination of the "data" contact of either body or lens.

Steve