Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2015, 08:54 PM   #1

K3 stuck in MF

I hope the brains trust can help here.

The body switch does nothing. I've done a functions and settings reset. When a different lens is attached on startup the camera asks what length it is.

What preceded it: I had on a Sigma lens that's worked fine lots of times and this time I switched it to MF using its own setting. When I switched to the 18-135 Pentax lens focus was stuck on manual in the body settings.

??

03-07-2015, 09:10 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Reverse the spell by putting the Sigma back and switching it to AF?
03-07-2015, 09:17 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Check to see that nothing is on the contacts. Perhaps clean them.
03-07-2015, 09:27 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks folks.

Yeah I tried reverse magic. Not the right phase of the moon maybe.

And yes, cleaned the contacts too.

03-07-2015, 10:46 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Turn off the camera. Remove the lens. Turn on the camera. Watch the focus lug on the mount when you move the switch between AF and MF. It should extend when in AF and retract when in MF. If this does not happen then something has broken or you have run out of power.
03-07-2015, 10:47 PM   #6
Pentaxian

It is strange. Try the usual. Take the battery out for a bit, flip the AF/MF switch back and forth a few times, try a total reset of the camera to default settings, etc. I hate to think the body can be persuaded to be MF only simply because a Sigma lens told it so. If it did, resetting would probably clear it...
03-07-2015, 11:21 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks again.

Focus drive pops out OK. Removed battery - no change. But there must be non-volatile memory for user settings. Will look for more reset options.

03-08-2015, 12:30 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Try reflashing firmware on body. Check version and upgrade if necessary.

By all means, let us know your findings.
03-08-2015, 01:43 AM   #9

Original Poster
Yes, I was fearing it might come to that. Awkward when travelling. The firmware is current but a reflash might be the equivalent of "format c:"
03-08-2015, 01:29 PM   #10

Original Poster
Firmware updated. No change.

A search threw up some other possibilities and responses* but I got no traction: alignment of AF drive screw with lens body, and quality of batteries.

However the drive screw on my body does show noticeable slop. Would someone be kind enough to check theirs?

[* https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/229309-k...t-working.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/198424-k...ocus-mode.html ]
03-08-2015, 06:27 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Have you tried a non DC or SDM original pentax lens? (FA or F???)

Since you say the body is asking for focal length upon mounting, this means body is not recognizing the lens as being autofocus. Pentax has three possibilities for autofocus lenses. F (FA) with no motor, just screw drive; DA with both screwdrive and internal SDM motor and just DC motor, as the 18-135. Try to test one of each just to pinpoint where is the problem coming from.

I am afraid the Sigma has something to do here, but hopefully, it would be just a software bug and not something that got shorted or burned.

Keep us posted please.
03-08-2015, 07:17 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rburgoss Quote
Since you say the body is asking for focal length upon mounting, this means body is not recognizing the lens as being autofocus.
...or having the A-contacts. If the "A" contact ("*" in diagram below) is not detected, AF will not be attempted.

Edit: I don't know where my head was at when I typed the above, but the F-- display by itself means that the "A" contact was not detected. AF should still work if the data pin (not on the diagram) is still operational. If both are dead, it would be evidence that the lens is not fully mounted or that the lens chip is not proper or that their is a fault with the body.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-09-2015 at 05:54 PM.
03-08-2015, 08:54 PM   #13

Original Poster
Thanks rburgoss.

Apart from the 18-135 there's a DA 12-24. Same issue. The Sigma is a 150-500 and that's HSM. So I guess that means the fault isn't (just) mechanical.

Thanks Steve. The body has 7 contacts. The 3rd from the top is recessed but still spring loaded. I've given it a clean & a 'tickle'.
03-08-2015, 10:02 PM   #14

Original Poster
Woah. 2nd & subsequent lens swaps have AF enabled. Phew. Looks like attending to the * contact did it.

Thanks again all.

There's two weeks of shooting in god's own country ahead.
03-09-2015, 06:01 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Whew... thnk God nothing was wrong. Just probably some minuscule debris caught in the third mount contact. I would check all my lenses mounts fot debris and grime spots. I'm sure your problem was created by something transfered by a "dirty" lens mount.

Thanks for sharing this. I am sure this information will become very handy any time soon, for every Pentax user out there.