Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2015, 03:06 PM   #1
Pentaxian

K5lls + 100 Macro issues

A friend has a K5lls and a Pentax 100 Macro (latest edition) and with this combination, the monitor info just shows MF letters, no F stop just two blinking dashes, just iso and the rest of the screen shows no other info and the monitor screen is blank and kind of dark.

She has tried her other lenses (55-300) on the K5lls body and they work fine...with all info showing on the monitor body.
It's just the 100 macro on the K5lls.

Now when she tries the 100 Macro lens on her KX body the macro and camera works fine.

Any suggestions ?

03-08-2015, 03:12 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I assume this is DFA 100 macro WR? Or at least the version with no aperture ring? If not then make sure the aperture ring is in the 'A' position.

Other than that, getting "F _ _" means the camera does not know there is a lens on because it cannot read the lens ID. That is almost always a contact issue. So try cleaning the contacts, a buffing with a microfiber cloth should be all it needs.

If that does not work, take a careful look at the contacts on both camera and lens and make sure they all look correct.

When you say "KX" do you mean the k-x or the film body?
03-08-2015, 03:19 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I assume this is DFA 100 macro WR? Or at least the version with no aperture ring? The WR without the aperture ring. If not then make sure the aperture ring is in the 'A' position.

Other than that, getting "F _ _" means the camera does not know there is a lens on because it cannot read the lens ID. That is almost always a contact issue. So try cleaning the contacts, a buffing with a microfiber cloth should be all it needs. I will suggest that she try that.

If that does not work, take a careful look at the contacts on both camera and lens and make sure they all look correct.

When you say "KX" do you mean the k-x or the film body?
The K-x digital slr camera. Not the old film slr. The one that was introduced a couple of years ago.

Thank you for your suggestions.
03-08-2015, 03:29 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
The K-x digital slr camera. Not the old film slr.
What I figured but wanted to be sure in case there was something with a film body I was not aware of. But the k-x and k5IIs should behave identically. The only thing I can think of is that there is some small amount of tarnish on the k5IIs contacts that is causing the communication failure.

It could also be a slight misalignment of the contacts but that is highly unlikely on a Pentax lens. I have seen it on third party lenses though.

03-08-2015, 03:33 PM   #5
Marketplace Reseller

A pencil eraser is just about the most effective tool for cleaning tarnish off the contacts.
03-08-2015, 05:13 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
A big thank you to both jatrax and dcshooter. My friend cleaned the contacts and as they say in France...'voila'....the K5lls and 100 WR macro are once again making music.

Les