Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-08-2015, 03:49 PM   #1
Forum Member

Weird spirals processing multiple images

So when processing multiple images through Photomatix I end up with weird spirals in the finished product. These can be fixed with the microsmoothing tab but at the same time upping the microsmoothing really takes away from the overall effect of tonemapping. Here's one I just did, the spiraling is not as bad but you can still see it's there in the upper corners. Any thoughts?

Camera is K5 and the lens is Sigma 8-16mm shot at 8mm stopped down to f/5.6 for this shot.

Last edited by PushTheRedButton; 03-08-2015 at 06:56 PM. Reason: different f-stop than thought
03-08-2015, 03:52 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think that would be called 'banding'. Are the images RAW or jpg? And did you have any filters on?
03-08-2015, 06:16 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

My thoughts are that you used a vignette removal tool then did clarify or sharpening or HDR and it enhanced the gradual changes from light to dark. Try doing vignette removal last, see if that helps
03-08-2015, 06:54 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I think that would be called 'banding'. Are the images RAW or jpg? And did you have any filters on?
RAW, no filters

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Posterization.

You'll likely have better results if you start with higher bit-depth images (e.g. 16 bit rather than 8), since you'll have larger numbers of tones to work with in the highlight and shadow areas.

What software like Photomatix does is combine and stretch tonal ranges from one or more photos to cover a larger portion of the overall black to white tone curve. If your original sky image is only composed of a small number of very similar tones, as you stretch out the curve, there will still only be that same number of tones, but their differences will be exaggerated, making the borders between those areas much more obvious.

Jpeg images are nearly always 8 bit (there is a such thing as 12 bit jpeg, but it's rarely used).
They're 16 bit

QuoteOriginally posted by Sliver-Surfer Quote
My thoughts are that you used a vignette removal tool then did clarify or sharpening or HDR and it enhanced the gradual changes from light to dark. Try doing vignette removal last, see if that helps
Boom. This is the answer. I should have mentioned I also use DXO optics and after reprocessing with vignette removal after, those spirals are gone. Thank you

03-08-2015, 07:31 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PushTheRedButton Quote
Boom. This is the answer. I should have mentioned I also use DXO optics and after reprocessing with vignette removal after, those spirals are gone. Thank you
You are most welcome!
03-09-2015, 10:01 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
I know you have removed your banding...food for thought...I have found that to high of a contrast increase can cause the banding effect as well.