Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2015, 11:53 PM   #1

Go to Canon?

First off, I know there are loads of posts relating to this. Second, I'd think that this would be beginner help lol. So I bought a brand new 70D thinking I should go to Canon. I would love to do some videos is the reason why. But I also love photos and started seeing that people on YouTube and the internet (comparison charts, articles, etc.) are saying that the K3 is a boss.

Plus I already have a lens out of the 4 I would keep in the Pentax line. The expense of both in body/lenses are about the same in the used/refurbished world. My friend (t5i owner who does videos>photos) is convincing me towards the Canon side but their stuff doesn't seem so wow at all but yet it does. (Also, they don't have a 16-50 f2.8 for cheap, which I already have). Someone convince me to either side or give me good advices

Some things that don't really buy me into Pentax is the use of old lenses...I honestly want to collect all DA* lenses & 100mm Macro (yeah call me dumb), or if I go Canon, all the lenses I'll get will likely be L lenses (70-200, 24-70, 50, etc.). Also the SR vs IS. Most Canon IS lenses I want cost about the same as Pentax lenses (no not a 400mm)

Pentax (K3 and DA*) Pros:
-My 16-50 f2.8
-K3 > 70D in photos
-Weather sealed in all DA* lenses
-SR in SOME cases:
-SR + 55mm f/1.4 vs No IS 50mm f/1.2L (I understand that fast primes don't need any SR/IS)
-No AA filter

Canon (70D and L) Pros:
-Video: Hybrid Continuous AF Name Thing
-70D > K3 in video

Pentax (K3 and DA*) Cons:
-Costs the same as 70D with L IS lenses

Canon (70D and L) Cons:
-Not all L Lenses are WR/WP/WS
-Version II lenses...(makes u want the II > I)
-Too many repetitive lenses with little bells and whistles, for example:
-24-70mm f4L
-24-70mm f2.8L
-24-70mm f2.8L II
-70-200mm f4L
-70-200mm f2.8L
-70-200mm f2.8L II
(I also understand why they do this too, but in my world, it's hard choosing)

Questions?
Is the hybrid AF thing worth it?
Or is manual ring + SR better?
Will a K3 (K3 II? Even a KS2) do as well with manual focus and SR?)
Any proof/real life testing of the quickness of a K3 vs 70D?
DA* 24-70mm f/2.8?

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I can't decide!! I just love both video and photo...

03-09-2015, 12:11 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
I don't think video quality between K3 and 70D is significant. On the other hand Panasonic has some cool video oriented cameras.

Also are you really going to use AF during video ? Me and most of my friends prefers shooting manual focus during video.

If you really care about dslr videos look for cameras/lenses regarding to that. Cine lenses, 4k, manual controls..etc
03-09-2015, 12:11 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i have a good idea, why you don't buy canon for your video and buy pentax for your photo :P
03-09-2015, 12:23 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by G.E.Zekai Quote
I don't think video quality between K3 and 70D is significant. On the other hand Panasonic has some cool video oriented cameras.

Also are you really going to use AF during video ? Me and most of my friends prefers shooting manual focus during video.

If you really care about dslr videos look for cameras/lenses regarding to that. Cine lenses, 4k, manual controls..etc
Good point, I honestly am not that into video lol 1080 and slow-mo 720 is good enough for me, I might just get a K3 and a 60-250

QuoteOriginally posted by mixberry Quote
i have a good idea, why you don't buy canon for your video and buy pentax for your photo
Money and I'd like to eat things better than ramen. Plus, I'm a person who just likes to stick with one thing that's does all I need (I ended up buying a Surface Pro 3 back then)

03-09-2015, 01:09 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Hmong_Xiong Quote
Good point, I honestly am not that into video lol 1080 and slow-mo 720 is good enough for me, I might just get a K3 and a 60-250

Money and I'd like to eat things better than ramen. Plus, I'm a person who just likes to stick with one thing that's does all I need (I ended up buying a Surface Pro 3 back then)
pentax k-3 goes good for you if you don't need 1080 and slow mo 720, I just want to make sure, do you like to take a photo or make a video? if you want to take photo most all time and video just for fun K-3 suit best for you
03-09-2015, 01:35 AM   #6

Original Poster
pentax k-3 goes good for you if you don't need 1080 and slow mo 720, I just want to make sure, do you like to take a photo or make a video? if you want to take photo most all time and video just for fun K-3 suit best for you
Only if it came in white but I might upgrade to a K3...why can't someone merge all the DSLRs in the world into one... I hate decision-making
03-09-2015, 02:16 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
In my experience, since I have only 2 hands and 1 head, I only use one equipment at a time. Better to be very picky on the quality than spill the money over a lot of lower quality gear with little improvements between them. Next time, I'll be very very picky on what I buy, and I won't buy so many products. At the end of the day, many pieces of equipment clogs my apartment and some of the gear is never used. After a while, we know what we use and what we don't use and just want to consolidate on what we really use and get rid of the other unused gears.

Now, there is the myth of FF upgrade with reusing existing lenses. This is a myth because FF demand different lenses , larger and heavier and difference focal length.
As far as Pentax is concerned, they're developed a high quality APS-C specialized system which is now mature. For APS-C, Pentax should be considered, there's plenty of second hand gear and mature gears had their bugs fixed.

Then there is the case of the FF system, in my opinion, it will take 2 or 3 years to have a complete Pentax FF system. So either make the most use of Pentax APS-C gear until 2017/2018, or go for Nikon or Canon FF system , and keep (or sell) the Pentax APS-C system.
03-09-2015, 02:44 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think there are perhaps a couple of things to say.

First of all, I do think having image stabilization with all of your lenses is a big deal. It may not be as big a deal with fast wide aperture lenses, but even then, there are times when you want to hand hold a little longer exposure and it can come in handy.

As far as video goes, I do think Canon is quite a bit ahead of Pentax and probably will stay there for awhile. It just doesn't seem to be a major interest for Pentax.

As far as still images goes, I think Pentax cameras produce images that are better with regard to dynamic range and color depth than current Canon APS-C cameras. Pentax cameras do a little better with regard to high iso as well.

In the end, I think you need to decide what's important to you. I personally wouldn't trade a K3 for a 70D, but if it seems to fit your style of shooting more, than it is probably best to go that direction.

Good luck!

03-09-2015, 03:25 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Well, Canon cameras are better for video. But if you are planning on having two cameras, you might as well just get an actual camcorder or a system made for video (Sony, Panasonic).
I doubt it makes sense to have two stills cameras, where they both do video, but one has a few more options and less jello effect.
The other thing you can do is wait a little bit, see what Pentax announces. K-S2 is an interesting camera, and the FF might have better video capabilities.

Anyway, yes, Pentax for stills, but not for high end video. That being said, basic video, Pentax can do as well. Check out some youtube videos or the video subforum, see if that is good enough. Remember that video is all about light, steadycam, follow focus, and post processing.
03-09-2015, 08:47 AM   #10

i have a good idea, why you don't buy canon for your video and buy pentax for your photo :P
Excellent Idea!
03-09-2015, 09:47 AM   #11
Pentaxian

But seriously, instead of getting K-3, look at K-5IIs or K-50, or even K-S1. These come at a lower cost, but their imaging sensor is still really great (K-5IIs has fewer MP than K-3, but some claim it has better noise performance). Spend the difference on something like Sony a6000 and PK adapter. And then you can have two systems. Depends on what your needs are
03-09-2015, 10:07 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Unless I misread your op, you have a mistake. The K3 has IBIS for ALL lenses not some.
03-09-2015, 01:03 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
But seriously, instead of getting K-3, look at K-5IIs or K-50, or even K-S1. These come at a lower cost, but their imaging sensor is still really great (K-5IIs has fewer MP than K-3, but some claim it has better noise performance). Spend the difference on something like Sony a6000 and PK adapter. And then you can have two systems. Depends on what your needs are
I have a K50, I just want more power lol
QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
Unless I misread your op, you have a mistake. The K3 has IBIS for ALL lenses not some.
Yeah, that's why Pentax's SR has an advantage with those fast primes (if it matters much)
03-09-2015, 08:04 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I recently went to the Canon 70D (and used 5D). Pentax ergonomics kills Canon. The 70D has the rotating LCD that I have wanted for the last 2 Pentax bodies. It is handy for odd angles, particularly, when I can tap the screen and it will focus where I tap it, and take the shot. There are a couple lens options for Canon, such as the 17TS-E that are fun.

The rest of it is mostly hogwash either direction :-)
03-10-2015, 10:23 AM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
The 70D has the rotating LCD that I have wanted for the last 2 Pentax bodies. It is handy for odd angles, particularly, when I can tap the screen and it will focus where I tap it, and take the shot.
Well, there you go. Buy the features you feel you really want and eat the deficiencies and consequences of your actions.

Steve