Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2015, 03:49 AM   #1

K1000 shot in wrong ISO

I accidentally shot a roll of ISO 400 film on ISO 20.... don't ask me how! What will have happened to the film and is it still worth paying to get it developed? Any advice appreciated

03-10-2015, 04:02 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kate9miller Quote
I accidentally shot a roll of ISO 400 film on ISO 20.... don't ask me how! What will have happened to the film and is it still worth paying to get it developed? Any advice appreciated
If you were shooting with the built in meter, Likely your images will be about 4 stops over exposed. You could get the developer to do some (extreme) pull processing. I dont know much about film as I am just getting into it myself, but I think that would likely be beyond the capabilities of the film. On a side note; my understanding that negative film has much greater latitude for this than colour reversal so if it was negative film and your camera meter under exposes by a stop or two you *may* get something back. Otherwise if the images were not important it probably isnt worth the cost of getting that role developed.
03-10-2015, 04:06 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No first hand experience with your exact issue, but I suspect that as long as you inform the lab what you did, you'll probably be Ok....

Many years ago I used to push ISO 400 to 1600 and my images still came out.....

Good luck
03-10-2015, 04:15 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

20, or 200? If it's 200, there will only be a slight underexposure.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-10-2015, 04:35 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Wouldnt it be over exposed?

High sensitivity film, camera thinks it is low sensitivity therefore longer exposure? = Overexposed?
03-10-2015, 05:17 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If the camera's meter is accurate you will have overexposed the roll of +4. To be on the safe side, you could request pull processing to compensate for the setting you used.

However, this may not be disastrous depending on specifically which film it is. For instance, if it is Kodak Portra 400, then these are the results I got when testing it's exposure latitude.

The testing results taken above were done with even lighting across the scene. So depending on the latitude of the scenes you had taken on your roll, you may not need to request pull processing.
03-10-2015, 05:38 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yes on 20, not 200 unfortunately!

---------- Post added 03-10-15 at 12:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
If the camera's meter is accurate you will have overexposed the roll of +4. To be on the safe side, you could request pull processing to compensate for the setting you used.

However, this may not be disastrous depending on specifically which film it is. For instance, if it is Kodak Portra 400, then these are the results I got when testing it's exposure latitude.

The testing results taken above were done with even lighting across the scene. So depending on the latitude of the scenes you had taken on your roll, you may not need to request pull processing.

Ok, thanks. I'll tell the shop what I've done and keep my fingers crossed they come out ok!
03-10-2015, 05:54 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Curious what was the film? It will be critical if the film is slide (E6, chrome, diapositive, reversal) but it may not matter much if it is C41 or B&W because those that I have tested have very wide latitude.

03-10-2015, 06:18 AM   #9
Pentaxian

If it is negative film and you pull it a couple stops it will probably be fine, at least useable. I routinely overexposed (according to the rating) pretty much every roll of film I ever shot (and processed normally) by one stop just to get denser negatives which I thought were better, so I wouldn't go crazy on the pull processing -- I'd probably do two stops, three if you were shooting lots of sky or snow or something. Should be fine. If it is slide film, it is probably not worth bothering with...
03-10-2015, 07:13 AM   #10

Photos: Gallery
Please do let us know the results. I think you may be surprised depending on the film stock. I over expose most of the outdated film I often use. You may get some interesting results.
03-10-2015, 07:48 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Curious what was the film? It will be critical if the film is slide (E6, chrome, diapositive, reversal) but it may not matter much if it is C41 or B&W because those that I have tested have very wide latitude.
It was Kodak Portra 400 film.
03-10-2015, 08:04 AM   #12
Pentaxian

It was Kodak Portra 400 film.
Plenty of latitude there, so probably only pull one stop, two at most and you'll have nice negatives. Are you making prints or the lab, or scanning them? If they make prints I would think they would automatically compensate for a denser than average negative, but it has been a long time since I've had anything like that done...
03-13-2015, 03:32 AM   #13

Original Poster
I'm actually having trouble finding somewhere that will develop it, the shop I usually go to has closed down and the chain shops say they can't help as the process is all automatic on machines - if anyone knows of anywhere in Edinburgh or surrounding that could do it let me know!
03-13-2015, 05:57 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use The Darkroom. Write them a note explaining what happened and include it with the film when you send it in and they will take care of it for you. There are other mail-in processors out there who can do the same, but The Darkroom is the only one I have experience with.
03-16-2015, 05:46 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Colour, Black and White, Slide film, Photo processing, Film Processing and Printing, Canvas Printing, Film Scanning

These guys are really good as well. Might want to give them a call first though. They'll be able to tell you if it's worth sending in. (Their hi res jpeg scans are awesome)