Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2015, 08:21 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K-50 crazy glitch

So I was trying to learn how to use my k-50's magnify zoom thing and I was running on rechargeable AAs (NiMH 1.2 v) while my battery charged. Then, out of the blue, the k-50's screen goes into seizure inducing style flashing color fits and doesn't stop. I'm talking every line of pixels from left to right was a neon color and changing rapidly. I freak out and turn the camera off, and its still going! The only way to get it to stop is taking the batteries out, but when I turn it on again, it does the same thing whenever I try to use live mode or play mode. At one point , the screen just changed between solid colors instead of different colors of lines. Anyway, each time I turn it on my battery life is going down in chunks. It started in the green zone, and after a few times it was red and finally the camera just told me the batteries were depleted and wouldn't do much of anything.

So I put my real battery in and everything seems fine.

I know AA batteries can behave strangely and not support certain functions, but this does not seem like normal behavior even in that situation. Thoughts? Should I be worried?

03-10-2015, 08:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zephos Quote
So I was trying to learn how to use my k-50's magnify zoom thing and I was running on rechargeable AAs (NiMH 1.2 v) while my battery charged. Then, out of the blue, the k-50's screen goes into seizure inducing style flashing color fits and doesn't stop. I'm talking every line of pixels from left to right was a neon color and changing rapidly. I freak out and turn the camera off, and its still going! The only way to get it to stop is taking the batteries out, but when I turn it on again, it does the same thing whenever I try to use live mode or play mode. At one point , the screen just changed between solid colors instead of different colors of lines. Anyway, each time I turn it on my battery life is going down in chunks. It started in the green zone, and after a few times it was red and finally the camera just told me the batteries were depleted and wouldn't do much of anything.

I know AA batteries can behave strangely and not support certain functions, but this does not seem like normal behavior even in that situation. Thoughts? Should I be worried?
My cameras don't do most of it (K-3, K-30). But they do pretend to be depleted within minutes if I leave the battery type on 'auto'. When I selected the appropriate battery type it behaved normally.
03-10-2015, 08:41 PM   #3
Emperor and Senpai

QuoteOriginally posted by Zephos Quote

If you're using rechargables use enerloops. Normal rechargables can do funky things due to the lower voltage, and while enerloops will also have lower voltage they discharge much more evenly rather than have a big charge up front and when halfway discharged not enough to keep up with the demands of the camera. So, use either enerloops for rechargables or lithium for throw aways and you will be fine.
03-10-2015, 08:43 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try another fully charged set or lithium aa's (disposable). If that doesn't help try a different aa adapter.

Energizer rechargeable aa batteries have worked for me, shelf life is not as good as enloops.

03-10-2015, 09:10 PM   #5
Pentaxian

my K-50 does not like an older set of duracel rechargables even after a full charge I get depleted battery but they work fine in other devices.....recently got some rayovac rechargables and the K-50 responds quite nicely with them...both rated well over 2000mah or whatever those last letters are.......
03-10-2015, 09:13 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Low voltage can do crazy things. This sort of occurrence is normal once in a while.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-10-2015, 10:42 PM   #7
Veteran Member

power supplly

it seems that k-r, k-x, k-30 the software has an issue on power distribution, if it persists than ur motherboard is failing, power leakage somewhere. (may sound incoherent, but the software decides the power distribution, glitch hit hardware and ka-bOOM. Cheap motherboard.
03-11-2015, 04:06 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by uttam.hathi Quote
it seems that k-r, k-x, k-30 the software has an issue on power distribution, if it persists than ur motherboard is failing, power leakage somewhere. (may sound incoherent, but the software decides the power distribution, glitch hit hardware and ka-bOOM. Cheap motherboard.
Its not a power distribution issue. It is a low voltage issue. No matter what the manufacturer of the rechargeable battery claims, four 1.2 volt batteries can not add up to six volts, which the camera is expecting.

03-11-2015, 04:38 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
Its not a power distribution issue. It is a low voltage issue. No matter what the manufacturer of the rechargeable battery claims, four 1.2 volt batteries can not add up to six volts, which the camera is expecting.
So my camera needs 6 volts? Good to know.
03-11-2015, 05:11 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
It is a low voltage issue.
More specifically, there is an issue with low voltage under load. Most electronic logic devices will fail with voltage sag and it is not the fault of the circuit boards. The camera is spec'd for AA lithium, NiMH, or alkaline cells with the optional battery holder. The lithium and alkaline cells are nominally 1.5v (6v total) with NiMH being 1.2v (4.8 total). The D-LI109 proprietary lithium cell that ships with the camera is 7.4v. Clearly a wide range of voltage is acceptable.

Steve
03-11-2015, 06:08 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Never had this problem but I confirm that eneloop is the best

Here is a thread where someone tested 1.2 volt eneloop vs 1.5 volt alkaline .

Last edited by Angrygazel; 03-12-2015 at 02:31 AM.