Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2015, 08:22 AM   #1

Pentax K3 and Samyang 14 mm

Hi everybody,
please do you have some experiences with K3 and Samyang 14 mm. I donīt know how does it work

1) I put the Samyang 14 mm on K3, switch on and display with focal lens appears but 14 mm is missing (or 21 mm as FF)
2) I donīt know how to move AF point. AF is set to SELL. But the cross button is not possible to switch to the AF moving mode (I hope you understand). If I switch cross button I can only change WB and other functions.
3) Tamron 18-200 - I tried to do it manually with my Tamron and itīs working. AF is possible to move....

Does anybody know if itīs possible to move AF point or not with Samyang 14 mm?

Thanks for help.

03-11-2015, 08:41 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the lens has no electrical contacts on it, AF will only use the centre point.
03-11-2015, 08:43 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FunnyUncle Quote
Hi everybody,
please do you have some experiences with K3 and Samyang 14 mm. I donīt know how does it work

1) I put the Samyang 14 mm on K3, switch on and display with focal lens appears but 14 mm is missing (or 21 mm as FF)
You never need to change or calculate focal lengths -- it is what it is, FF or not. I'd use 15mm or 12mm.

QuoteQuote:
2) I donīt know how to move AF point. AF is set to SELL. But the cross button is not possible to switch to the AF moving mode (I hope you understand). If I switch cross button I can only change WB and other functions.
I don't actually have a K-3, but I doubt you can change the AF point because you're not using AF. You just want to move the point where you will get focus confirmation, is that it?
03-11-2015, 08:54 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
You never need to change or calculate focal lengths -- it is what it is, FF or not. I'd use 15mm or 12mm.

I don't actually have a K-3, but I doubt you can change the AF point because you're not using AF. You just want to move the point where you will get focus confirmation, is that it?
You just want to move the point where you will get focus confirmation, is that it? - Yes you are right...

Now I have got information that I need to use: Using aperature ring on the then A (menu 4), I am going to check it...

03-11-2015, 09:08 AM   #5
Site Supporter

I've got this combo and it seems to work just fine with me, I don't even bother setting focal length accurately since, as stated, it is what it is. So far I like that lens on my K3. I'll like it better after I calibrate that distance scale correctly.
03-11-2015, 09:47 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I have the same lens and K3. Its not an auto focus lens so don't know how that would be accomplished ? Just manually select the focus length in the menu for a 15mm as there is not a 14mm selection on a K3. I will go check and see if that is automatic or not as I cant remember if it has to be manually set or is automatic with the contacts?
Just use center focus confirmation and then simply recompose....That's the easiest way rather than trying to move the focus confirmation point all around. All of that is not needed at all for a manual focus lens.
Congrats on the lens....its a really sweet wide angle choice. Its going to need to have the infinity calibrated properly....Here is the Link

There is an English version somewhere but I cant find it. I think on the YouTube site there is an English link somewhere ?

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 03-11-2015 at 10:13 AM.
03-11-2015, 10:03 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by FunnyUncle Quote
Now I have got information that I need to use: Using aperature ring on the then A (menu 4), I am going to check it...
Is there a reason you want to use the aperture ring? Just set the lens to A and let the body set the aperture. Using the aperture ring limits you to M mode and stop down metering.
03-11-2015, 11:00 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
FWIW, I'd just turn SR off entirely for a lens as wide as that one. You'd have to be shooting slow enough to require a tripod anyway (or waving the camera around wildly) to induce motion blur at 15mm. Any shots faster than 1/30 or so should be crisp.

03-11-2015, 11:52 AM   #9

Original Poster
I was in a shop to try it... I know how the manual lens work. I was using Samyang on Nikon D600. I am little bit dissapointed, that the AF point isen't posible to move as on Nikon and it's necessary to recompose.

So thanks for help and tips to everybody.
03-11-2015, 01:27 PM   #10
Pentaxian

With a Samyang 14mm I don't quite understand the Focus point issue ? I must be missing something here ? Unless your shooting quite close.... focus point is not a very real issue on a lens like this Samyang 14mm....Its either close......or......Infinity....... There isn't much in between as this lens has huge depth of field once calibrated to oo properly and stopped down a bit. I don't even use a viewfinder at all except for composition !
On a Nikon D600 or any Nikon body you DONT have an "A" setting at all on this Samyang 14mm lens........Pentax Version has "A" setting.....Nikon version doesn't.
That's a huge advantage of owning any Pentax body to use this lens on. It works on M , Av , Tv , TaV , and AUTO mode...Not just in M mode only.
This is a tough lens to learn on. It is what it is.....Sharp and very forgiving. But not always through the viewfinder as other normal lenses are. Its a creature all on its own and has to be treated as such. Calibrate it and shoot from the distance scale...or make your own scale for it with a piece of tape on the barrel.
Most people using this lens on any camera body have to calibrate it one way or the other. Its a Samyang quality issue that is easily fixed.
On the focus confirmation point...I simply don't know but believe its center only for K3.

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 03-11-2015 at 02:08 PM.
03-11-2015, 07:34 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
FWIW, I'd just turn SR off entirely for a lens as wide as that one. You'd have to be shooting slow enough to require a tripod anyway (or waving the camera around wildly) to induce motion blur at 15mm.
Not my experience...YMMV

Steve
03-12-2015, 01:15 AM   #12

Original Poster
I think that everything with Samyang is OK. Pictures are clear, sharp and no distorsion in the corners. Only AF points are not possible to choose. But I think I used to work with recomposing

But sometimes I think there are too much noise in ISO 400 with any lens. I hope FF will be better