Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2015, 11:18 AM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

WG-4 Macro disabled?

Hey guys,

I'm trying to help a friend with his WG-4. All of a sudden the macro function has a red "cancel" symbol on top of it in the mode menu, and can't be selected. Anyone have any idea what might be wrong? He reckons the digital microscope stand or its fittings may have broken, but it looked fine to me. Also, looking at the manual it doesn't seem to be required to access the mode itself.

Cheers!

03-11-2015, 11:44 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If camera is in green mode or landspace mode, then macro is disabled. In fact, when in green mode, just about any adjustable parameter is locked.
03-11-2015, 12:31 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Alright, so if it's in the green mode another press of the green button should disable it if I'm reading the manual correctly. If it's the landscape mode I guess I simply have to switch to another shooting mode, right?
03-11-2015, 05:17 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tickolas Quote
Alright, so if it's in the green mode another press of the green button should disable it if I'm reading the manual correctly. If it's the landscape mode I guess I simply have to switch to another shooting mode, right?
Exactly, but to be sure you can access ALL shooting modes (focus, flash, focus area, fps, etc) they you set the camera to P (program mode). Then every single parameter that is adjustable, can be adjustable. Nothing will be locked out or limited.

03-11-2015, 11:06 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Great, I'll have him try that. Thanks!
03-12-2015, 07:06 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
So, I put the camera into P mode as instructed and the microscope mode is still disabled. I've taken a shot of the menu, see attached. Any ideas?
Attached Images

03-12-2015, 09:10 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Check the manual page 204 - 207. There is a table of which function are available in which mode.
It might be a setting in the camera that block the use of the macro mode.

03-12-2015, 09:34 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Oh boy, spreadsheets! O_o

I'll see if they tell me anything, thanks! =)
03-12-2015, 01:21 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tickolas Quote
So, I put the camera into P mode as instructed and the microscope mode is still disabled. I've taken a shot of the menu, see attached. Any ideas?
That is strange. I just went through every possible parameter combination in my WG-II, and there was no way to set camera in a mode that blocks (does not allow) digital microscope mode.

Please let us know your findings.
03-12-2015, 01:59 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hm, I don't suppose that mode's disabled when the plastic stand ring isn't attached to the lens?
07-26-2018, 01:10 AM   #11

Hi, was this ever solved? I just encountered this problem this morning. I have been searching for solutions online for the past several hours, but this is the only thread I have found so far.
I have restarted the camera several times, thinking it might be a simple software error. I have also gone through all the settings but found nothing out of the ordinary except the 1) greyed-out Digital Microscope icon in the Focus Mode, 2) the red "cancel" symbol over the larger icon in the Mode menu, and 3) the greyed-out Macro Light toggle in the Rec. Mode settings. My current (and usual) settings are the Program Mode on AF.
Any help would be great!
11-11-2019, 07:51 PM   #12

Hi again! After my previous post (July 2018), I brought my WG3 to the service center. I was told they can open it up and try to repair it. But, they warned me that there is only 50% chance of repair. Their initial diagnosis was corroded internal parts. I decided not to go through with it - which turned out to be a very good decision! After a few months after the visit to the service center, my camera went back to normal operations! I still don't know why the 1cm macro had stopped functioning or how/why it was repaired though. I hope someone finds out, just in case it happens again!