Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2015, 02:17 AM   #1

Wife's birthday which dslr/mirrorless? Pentax or not?

When buying my SFXn, I was really into photography and even swapped the 28-80 (?) standard for a 50mm 1.4 and never regretted it.

Now looking at camera's doesn't do anything for me. There are just too many out there and I cannot find the drive to do proper research. Hence me not even knowing if I should go for a non dslr with interchangeable lenses or a proper dslr.

Obviously asking on a Pentax forum might give me biased Pentax recommendations and that is fine but owning a 50mm 1.4 isn't enough reason to stick with Pentax I am afraid. (Mother in law had an SFXn too, so owns a 28-80 and 70-210 (? both original Pentax) that I can have but won't be that much good unless I get a FF Pentax (which isn't here yet afaik), she got a K200d for her birthday some years back but only uses the 18-55 with that)

So...

With or without mirror? I find mirrorless camera's to be quite pricey: pretty much the same or even higher prices than dslr's when there is obviously less intricate machinery needed. Lack of knowledge on my part or indeed also observed by others?

Any decent full HD capable dslr with kitlens for <$500 that also has decent audio when filming? And obviously decent AF while filming (but I assume they will all do this).

Decent battery life... (The K200d is a joke, it only used 20% of the battery capacity of NiMH's before informing me they are depleted... (Maha Imedion batteries charged by a Maha C9000, commonly seen as about the best charger out there, recharging the batteries only results in less than 25% charge (<500mAh in a 2250mAh) being put in after use in the Pentax, whereas other toys and the likes will use their full capacity (this happens with all other brand batteries too, but I do not own 2000mAh Eneloops, supposedly the only batteries to work with the K200d???))

Nice gimmicks that probably won't be used that often:
High speed (60 or 120fps) HD shooting would be a plus.
ASA/ISO setting of above 6400.

Any ideas? Pentax or otherwise are very welcome.
Put in the general section as I didn't want to fog up the proper forums with this question.

Last edited by r-p; 03-12-2015 at 02:21 AM. Reason: typo
03-12-2015, 04:26 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What does your wife think about the weight of a dSLR? That is the question.
If she is happy with the weight and she is keen on photography a dSLR might suit, but many here are also happy with K-01, the Q series, The Fuji's etc.
Take her to a store and let her hold a few.
03-12-2015, 06:09 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax DSLR's have weak video capabilities including audio.
03-12-2015, 06:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

What does she want? Maybe you should just take her to a jewelry store?

03-12-2015, 07:20 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Have you considered a Sony A58? It is a Pellicle-mirror SLR and as a result has fantastic AF abilities while doing video. By comparison, none of the Pentax DSLRs have full-time AF during video; most have no AF whatsoever in video. Like pretty much any camera in its price range, the mic quality is not great, but it does have an external mic jack. ISO range is up to 16000. Battery life is supposed to be better than previous Sony models as well. Supposedly it gets 690 shots per charge.

Also, since Sony has largely abandoned the A mount, a lot of the great Minolta Maxxum glass has plunged in price. Maxxum AF 50mm f/1.4s have been selling for as little as $100 on ebay lately. That's in line with manual equivalents in Pentax K/m42!

Currently, a body with 18-55mm kit lens is on sale at the Sony store for $450.
03-12-2015, 08:53 AM   #6
Pentaxian

The Sony suggestion sounds like a good one. The alpha series even has the ability to add adapters to use your Pentax lenses (manual focus only).

As for your Pentax lenses, the camera doesn't have to be full frame to use those lenses. You just have to be aware that the image from those lenses will be more telephoto than they were on film or full frame. I would think the Pentax K50 or KS2 might be a decent option for you. But realistically, Pentax is probably not where you should look for a camera with better video capabilities. And, at the price point you're looking at, you may have a hard time finding a camera that gives the type of video quality you're looking for.
03-12-2015, 09:01 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I love my Fujis. The X-A1 is a great little camera, with good controls and advanced features like wifi, and you can buy them for virtually nothing. The battery life is fine, and the Fuji batteries are small enough that you can always shove a second one in the bag somewhere in the case of emergencies.

That being said, if video is important you probably should be looking elsewhere.

(I would consider a Pentax K-01 as well, or the K-S1/2. Looking for lightweight you can add the fancy new retractable kit lens and with that 50mm you have a good combo.)

I don't like the Sony cameras for various reasons, but I do love the Minolta lenses.

Edit to add: You're probably looking for a Panasonic/Olympus m43 camera. Decent video, relatively inexpensive. High ISO won't be on par with APS-C cameras though.
03-12-2015, 09:11 AM   #8

The question is, is she into photography that much? i bought my girlfrien a Pentax, since she was always eager to steal mine - every time i had the camera with me, she stopped every 2 meters to take my camera and shoot some crap. after i bought her same one + mobile phone with decent IQ it comes out i was just a handsome camera bag with 2 feets - Girlfriend is happy with her mobile phone, and camera is dusting away on a bookshelf.
Ah yes, and i need to buy every year a new Battery couse since camera is used only once a year, and she forgets to recharge it no wonder it goes in each time.
SO BEWARE!!! donīt make same mistakes. Jewelery store was not such a bad tipp.

elsewise, any system would do, donīt know many that can do 120fps.
samsung - nice media interaction,
olympus - great design and small lenses, and meanwhile you can get om-d 10 in that price range
sony - ok, nothing bad.
pentax - iīts pentax.)))

03-12-2015, 12:50 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vitalii Quote
The question is, is she into photography that much? i bought my girlfrien a Pentax, since she was always eager to steal mine - every time i had the camera with me, she stopped every 2 meters to take my camera and shoot some crap. after i bought her same one + mobile phone with decent IQ it comes out i was just a handsome camera bag with 2 feets - Girlfriend is happy with her mobile phone, and camera is dusting away on a bookshelf.
Ah yes, and i need to buy every year a new Battery couse since camera is used only once a year, and she forgets to recharge it no wonder it goes in each time.
SO BEWARE!!! donīt make same mistakes. Jewelery store was not such a bad tipp.

elsewise, any system would do, donīt know many that can do 120fps.
samsung - nice media interaction,
olympus - great design and small lenses, and meanwhile you can get om-d 10 in that price range
sony - ok, nothing bad.
pentax - iīts pentax.)))
Many times our partners in their effort to please us may appear to have similar tastes, so we think we can give them gifts we would like but it is not always a correct assumption.
03-12-2015, 02:44 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

You want high frame rate HD video? Get her a GoPro or something.

You want her to take nice pictures? Don't worry about video.

You want her to like the camera? Let her pick it out.
03-12-2015, 03:38 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
You want her to like the camera? Let her pick it out.
second that motion!!! depends on yer wants and needs.......at the time of my purchase I narrowed it down to the pentax K-50 and the sony a-58 based on price........the features I wanted most have been delivered by the K-50 however if I were into video the a-58 would have been my choice......understand the world of dslr etc is an infectious disease of consumption (you have been warned) but with personal rewards......good luck and happy shooting!
03-12-2015, 04:40 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

I got my wife a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX300 for Christmas. It is a really nice camera. It only saves jpeg, but the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 will give you RAW and wireless capabilities but cost $1,000. They have the same sensor and I have been impressed with the images off of my wife's camera.
03-12-2015, 04:41 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Since you mentioned video, and in particular AF, I would advise against not only Pentax, but any DSLRs by Nikon or Canon as well. The sensors are too large for casual video use, as most things will be out of focus. I don't know anyone outside of enthusiast circles who is willing to put up with it. The autofocus systems are generally poor, except maybe on the Canon 70D, but that camera has some other weaknesses as a video device.

I recently picked up a Panasonic GH4 which is known for being a terrific video device. I like it very much, but you still need to work at it pretty hard if you want it to replace a videocamera and get acceptable results. The AF works okay under some mild restrictions, but many folks will not want to deal with those restrictions. Even with the more forgiving mFT sensor size, and using a slow (i.e. forgiving) lens, getting the focus right requires careful use and most folks just will not want to deal with that.

I might suggest something like a Sony RX10. The sensor size is better for all around use, and overall, has better video quality than pretty much all larger DSLRs, in some ways even the GH4. That statement might provoke an argument but as an experienced K-3/K-5 user and now a GH4 user, I think I will stand by that statement. Unfortunately it is outside your stated budget, around $1000. But, as a fixed lens camera, you won't have to buy any lenses.

Good luck!
03-12-2015, 04:44 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by r-p Quote
When buying my SFXn, I was really into photography and even swapped the 28-80 (?) standard for a 50mm 1.4 and never regretted it.

Now looking at camera's doesn't do anything for me. There are just too many out there and I cannot find the drive to do proper research. Hence me not even knowing if I should go for a non dslr with interchangeable lenses or a proper dslr.

Obviously asking on a Pentax forum might give me biased Pentax recommendations and that is fine but owning a 50mm 1.4 isn't enough reason to stick with Pentax I am afraid. (Mother in law had an SFXn too, so owns a 28-80 and 70-210 (? both original Pentax) that I can have but won't be that much good unless I get a FF Pentax (which isn't here yet afaik), she got a K200d for her birthday some years back but only uses the 18-55 with that)

So...

With or without mirror? I find mirrorless camera's to be quite pricey: pretty much the same or even higher prices than dslr's when there is obviously less intricate machinery needed. Lack of knowledge on my part or indeed also observed by others?

Any decent full HD capable dslr with kitlens for <$500 that also has decent audio when filming? And obviously decent AF while filming (but I assume they will all do this).

Decent battery life... (The K200d is a joke, it only used 20% of the battery capacity of NiMH's before informing me they are depleted... (Maha Imedion batteries charged by a Maha C9000, commonly seen as about the best charger out there, recharging the batteries only results in less than 25% charge (<500mAh in a 2250mAh) being put in after use in the Pentax, whereas other toys and the likes will use their full capacity (this happens with all other brand batteries too, but I do not own 2000mAh Eneloops, supposedly the only batteries to work with the K200d???))

Nice gimmicks that probably won't be used that often:
High speed (60 or 120fps) HD shooting would be a plus.
ASA/ISO setting of above 6400.

Any ideas? Pentax or otherwise are very welcome.
Put in the general section as I didn't want to fog up the proper forums with this question.
Battery life is superb on DSLR cameras because (1) no power zoom, (2) when the camera is not metering or focusing, it is basically in Sleep mode, (3) with a DSLR you can turn off "chimping" on the screen, extending battery life for days; (4) if lost at sea, or foundering in the arctic after wolves eat your dog sled and dogs, you will still have enough juice for a farewell Selfie. That of course requires keeping the battery in an intimate place protected by the thickest clothing you are wearing. If at sea, the Pentax DSLR is Weather Resistant and could survive, with your Selfie, burial at sea at depths < 33 feet for at least ten minutes.

Or you could buy her a Sony and record bubbles.
03-12-2015, 05:24 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought my wife a Fuji X10 a while ago, definitely the best camera for her in my opinion, and she has yet to use it. She is still using a pocket Canon that is inferior but she likes it. You haven't said that she is looking for a new camera, I hope that she is. Even if so, it can be tricky to navigate. Maybe just say 'I'd like to get you a new camera' and then take her to pick it out. There may be more to this than is stated, too. So much to know here, and then so personal, too.