Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2015, 07:24 PM   #1

First Experience with a Manual lens (K-30 and Sigma Mini Wide II)

Help! I'm learning how to use my first manual lens and I think I'm having difficulties getting the settings right. I've done all the usual:
- set the camera to the focal length, set the green button to stop-down metering, set the camera to accept an aperture ring.

BUT, I don't see any effects of changing the aperture via the ring on the lens (photos taken at F2.8 have same DOF as photos taken at F22, under the same conditions). I've tried this at several different focal lengths and several different lighting conditions. Also for those same photos, the exposure looks ok, but the ISO and shutter speed are exactly the same. It seems to me that maybe the lens is not stepping down when I take the shot, but I can't figure out why that would be the case.

I also can't seem to get the camera to let me change the shutter speed, only the exposure value (Set in Manual mode, but still displays Av in the top left corner).

Can you help me figure out which settings I need to change?

If there are details I haven't included, let me know.

body: K-30
lens: Sigma Mini Wide II 28mm F2.8

03-12-2015, 07:54 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
My Mini-Wide II is an 'A' lens. So you set the aperture dial to 'A' and forget about it... let the body set the aperture. You can treat it exactly like a modern lens - all modes work. All you have to do is focus manually.

With the lens off the camera, when you adjust the aperture ring, does the aperture open and close properly? With the ring at 'A', the aperture should be wide open, and you should be able to close the blades by moving the aperture lever with your finger.

Is the face of the lens mount clean, so that the body pins make good electrical connections?
03-12-2015, 08:09 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lkruger Quote
Help! I'm learning how to use my first manual lens and I think I'm having difficulties getting the settings right. I've done all the usual:
- set the camera to the focal length, set the green button to stop-down metering, set the camera to accept an aperture ring.

BUT, I don't see any effects of changing the aperture via the ring on the lens (photos taken at F2.8 have same DOF as photos taken at F22, under the same conditions). I've tried this at several different focal lengths and several different lighting conditions. Also for those same photos, the exposure looks ok, but the ISO and shutter speed are exactly the same. It seems to me that maybe the lens is not stepping down when I take the shot, but I can't figure out why that would be the case.

I also can't seem to get the camera to let me change the shutter speed, only the exposure value (Set in Manual mode, but still displays Av in the top left corner).

Can you help me figure out which settings I need to change?

If there are details I haven't included, let me know.

body: K-30
lens: Sigma Mini Wide II 28mm F2.8
Hi! If it's a full manual lens (no A setting on the aperture ring) - then be sure to be in Manual mode AND to have Auto ISO OFF. At least on the K-01 you can't get the camera to stop down (in M mode) with the green button if you have auto ISO ON.

FYI: I don't have the K-30 nor the Sigma Mini Wide - this is just a tip based on my findings with other manual lenses and my K-01
03-13-2015, 04:57 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you both so much! Trigger Happy was right. For some reason, I didn't have it in A mode. Once I had that set, it worked just fine.

03-13-2015, 09:49 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Watch out for lateral CA. My sigma Mini Wide Ii 28/2.8 has it really bad.

I ran a thread using this lens to compare different CA correction tools
03-13-2015, 11:43 AM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
My copy is not bad at all for CA. Flare, on the other hand...