Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2015, 03:40 AM   #1
Forum Member

K50 LCD screen shut off question

Please excuse this noob-ish question. But I just got this new K-50 and I can't find the answer in the manual nor on any threads, likely because the question sounds to vague for thread searches.

Can anyone tell me why the LCD screen shuts off in a few seconds after an image review? Also, I notice it shuts off after a few seconds after pressing the RAW/FX button for optical preview.

If the question is confusing, here is what happens in steps:

1) Press shutter to take image
2) Image review shows the shot taken for 3 seconds (as set in the settings)
3) Info is shown on the LCD screen as usual for a couple seconds
4) LCD screen shuts off until I click a button

What is going on? Is there some sort of auto shut off for the LCD screen after reviewing an image? I can't find any setting like this in the camera. It is getting somewhat annoying. Please help, thanks!

03-13-2015, 03:56 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the shutoff you're referring to is linked to the light meter. When the light meter is on, the LCD will show info. When it isn't, the screen as well as the viewfinder display will go dark. Just like the instant review duration, you can configure the light meter idle time in the menu. Note that the lower you set it, the longer your battery will last

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-13-2015, 04:27 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Genius! Thank you for the quick reply! At least now I know why it's doing that.

Being a new owner, I'm trying not to let my first impressions and comparisons to my last camera take hold. Right now, after I take an image and the image review finishes showing after 3 seconds, I like looking at the info displayed on the screen to see what I can change to improve the image. But it bugs me that it shuts off as I'm still looking at the screen.

I do like battery life though. Is there any way to keep the screen on until auto-shutoff kicks in or as long as possible without having the light meter on for the max time? Is there a good reason to couple the light meter and the screen shut off, other than to conserve max battery life? If not, I sure hope I get used to this or force myself to develop different habits.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!
03-13-2015, 05:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Everything is a balancing act between convenience/utility and battery life. My solution... extra batteries. I have a spare in the charger at all times.

03-26-2015, 04:43 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hate to bring up this topic again, but it's still happening to my camera. Out of curiosity and experimentation, I set the light meter idle time at the longest time period which is 30 seconds (option 3). Besides a hit in battery life, I expected the LCD screen to stay on close to 27 seconds between shots (30 seconds minus the 3 second image review setting) since I'm assuming the light meter is at least going to be in use up until right before I click the shutter. But I'm still observing the the screen turn off about 2-3 seconds after the image review disappears. So I have to press a button to get the screen to come on again. AFTER EVERY SHOT.

Am I not understanding exactly when the light meter is being used and/or when the idle time stops/starts? Or do I not have a setting properly assigned? Or is this just the way it is? Can another K-50 owner verify if that is the way theirs acts as well? I'd really appreciate help on this as not having a top LCD means I am dependent on the screen to review all the settings. Having it turn off after every shot is starting to get to me. Thanks!

---------- Post added 03-26-15 at 05:31 PM ----------

I think I have the answer. Searching the forums, this issue comes up every once in a while. Hard to find though because the keywords aren't exactly unique and specific to this particular situation. Page 25 of the K-50 manual (just like the K-30 manual) states:

"The status screen will disappear if no operations are made within 30 seconds, and will also disappear after 2 seconds, immediately after shooting. Press the INFO button to display it again."

Guess I'm stuck the way it is. I understand that 2 seconds is probably enough time for experienced users to see what they want changed and adjust it. For others who aren't (like me), I'm barely reviewing what it is currently set at so I can get an idea on which way to change it when it disappears. At the very least, I wish they gave the option to change the time of this "screen shut off immediately after shooting". Though I doubt they are taking firmware update suggestions at this point lol. So learning to deal with it is probably the way to go.

Hope this helps others just getting started with this otherwise amazing camera. The image quality, build quality, ergonomics, features, and definitely value of the K-50 has been perfect for me so far. The fact that this minor thing is what I solely have to complain about is a positive thing, for sure.