Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-14-2015, 11:48 AM   #1

Lenspen Elite Pen for 18-135 WR Lens - Bad Idea?

Hi all,

I'm brand new to the world of DSLR photography. Recently got myself a K-50 with an 18-135 Weather Resistant lens.

There are a few smudges/particles/god-knows-what on my lens that I can't get rid off with my rocket blower. Very small but noticeable when looking at the lens under a light.

I bought a Lenspen Elite cleaning pen - the one with 'invisible carbon' - to do the job but given that the lens is multi-coated (I think...) I thought I'd ask people who know their stuff before using it.

I think the brush part of the pen isn't a problem. It's the cleaning tip I'm slightly worried about.

What do you think? Good or bad idea?

Also, can I use it on the viewfinder and LCD screen?

Is there any way I can ask Pentax directly?

Cheers!

03-14-2015, 12:28 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If they are not big and they do not show in pictures leave them. Eventually you can use the pen provided you have used the rocket blower before. Just be gentle.
The LCD screen can be cleaned without worries.
03-14-2015, 12:31 PM   #3

All the 'pens' I've used have left nasty smear marks, no matter how I use them. I use a rocket blower to blow dust, the brush side of one of the pens to clean any remaining dust, and then pecpacs with eclipse to get the rest (if there is any).

But yeah, you can have a really super dirty lens and you wont notice it. I generally leave 'dust' on them as it will eventually blow off in the wind or whenever I get some sort of liquid/dog licks lens I'll give it a cleaning.
03-14-2015, 01:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

+1 on kimwipes. As an alternative, you could always shift careers and work in a lab. Because I clearly chose that career path just to have free access to kimwipes. *cough cough*

03-14-2015, 02:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Just brush off anything that could scratch the lens (tiny particles made of hard materials) with the brush, then use a micro-fibre cloth to remove the smudges. I got a pack of cloths online quite cheaply, they do the trick and are machine washable. Do not blow on the lens, wiping it when wet will just leave more smudges.

Seriously, lens elements and coatings are harder and can take more abuse than most people think. There are pro-photographers who don't use lens caps and just wipe the glass with their shirts.
03-14-2015, 02:22 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Much, much more effective in most cases than Pec Pads, which tend to come apart and leave more residue.
You've seriously had pec pads come apart and leave fibres behind? I've honestly never seen that or heard of that before. I always fold them over and don't wipe using the edges of them and never had any troubles.

---------- Post added 03-14-15 at 03:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Seriously, lens elements and coatings are harder and can take more abuse than most people think. There are pro-photographers who don't use lens caps and just wipe the glass with their shirts.
Agreed. Same goes for people who are afraid to clean their sensors because they think if you look at them the wrong way you will magically scratch them. The glass in front is pretty darn tough.
03-14-2015, 03:07 PM   #7
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just my own feeling; but I don't use lens pens on any of my glass. If a tiny particle of dirt gets caught on the lens pen, then that particle gets scratched across the surface you are cleaning. I've simply used a blower, and a light touch of a soft brush.

03-14-2015, 03:10 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Just my own feeling; but I don't use lens pens on any of my glass. If a tiny particle of dirt gets caught on the lens pen, then that particle gets scratched across the surface you are cleaning. I've simply used a blower, and a light touch of a soft brush.
Unless that tiny particle is made of a very hard material, it's not gonna do any damage to your lens. And you can brush it off anyway, then use a cloth or whatever to remove the smudges (which do find their way on lenses and cannot be removed with just some air or a brush).

People need to stop treating specially hardened and coated glass that was designed to be exposed to the world like porcelain ...
03-15-2015, 05:03 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thank you all!

Well I couldn't ask for more. Thank you all for your contributions - extremely helpful!!
03-15-2015, 08:44 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just use a corner of my T-shirt and gently wipe the dust off.