Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2015, 01:52 PM   #1

Cannot manual focus with extension tubes...

Newbie to macro extension tubes!

I just received a set of Pentax macro extension tubes, these are they: PENTAX Auto Extension Tube Set K reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database. Regardless of what lens I mount on the tubes, I cannot get any of them to focus. I've set my K-5iis to both Manual and Tav with no luck. Additionally, I was under the impression that I could use my SMC A lenses in the A setting and control aperture from the camera with these - which I cannot. I was under the impression this is why they are the "auto" version.

Any suggestion would be most appreciated!

Best,
Derek

03-14-2015, 01:59 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The "auto" refers to the aperture diaphragm rather than the A contacts. You will need to put the camera in M mode, focus manually, and stop-down meter as you would with a manual lens:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...k-x-k-7-a.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-14-2015, 02:04 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks!

Thank you Adam.
This was helpful.

Best,
Derek
03-14-2015, 03:53 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The word "auto" on any older equipment means "mechanically auto" -- moving the aperture lever or pushing a pin -- and even that isn't enabled on modern bodies. Modern equipment never says "auto" because electronic connection is assumed. So ironically now "auto" means "manual".

03-14-2015, 07:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Remember that your lenses will not focus to infinity with extension tubes. Probably something you and everyone else already knows but worth a mention in case.
03-15-2015, 05:20 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The other thing you may not get, if the lens mounts are painted black or anodzied , is focus confirmation. You need the lens contacts on the camera body shorted to get focus confirmation