Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2015, 03:34 AM   #1

Spotmatic SPII: Film stuck, now dark image in viewfinder

Hi all!

A couple of days ago, I put the first film into the Spotmatic SPII I bought to experiment with film photography.
Unfortunately, I think I didn't load the film correctly, because the film advance lever gave a lot of resistance after the 3rd frame or so, and by the 5th picture it was completely stuck.

I then tried to rewind the film some way to get it unstuck, but I ended up fully rewinding it.
So my first question is: would it be worthwhile to try and unwind the film a little bit to put it back into the camera? Or will it have been damaged to much already because it got stuck?

There is also a second problem: I have no film or lens cap on, but the viewfinder is completely dark and if I press the shutter only a tiny clicking sound is audible, not as loud as before. Using the advance lever does nothing to improve it unfortunately.
Is this maybe a locked mirror issue or something?

I hope I didn't completely brick the camera and I am looking forward to your advice!
Especially because I also have a K1000 that I don't want to break

03-17-2015, 04:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Looks like your mirror is stuck in up position, I think the camera is due for some CLA (cleaning, lubricating and adjustment ) - no wonder why, after 40-50 years of service...
03-17-2015, 11:08 AM - 1 Like   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
Looks like your mirror is stuck in up position
Yep...and the cause may be something as simple as a sticky mirror bumper foam* or may be as severe as a mechanical failure in the shutter or mirror mechanism.

As for the film load issue. The camera manual has detailed instructions. A decent copy scan is available from the Butkus site (donation appreciated)...

Pentax Spotmatic II instruction manual

or from the Pentax Manuals site (requires password each time you view)...

Pentax Manuals: M42 Bodies

A few key considerations:
  • Wind on and cycle shutter once with camera empty before loading film to make sure film rewind button on bottom of camera is disengaged
  • Make sure that the film sprocket holes are engaged both top and bottom with the sprocket drive before shutting film back. You can take up the slack using the take-up spool. It is the sprocket drive that advances the film, not the take-up spool.

Steve

* Bad light seal and mirror bumper foams are extremely common and replacement is part of a CLA. To test the foams, touch them with a toothpick. The foam should be resilient to pressure. It should not be crumbly, hard, or gummy. Gummy is particularly troublesome since the goo from the mirror bumper may be flung onto the focus screen from which it is difficult to remove or (worse) into the shutter or mirror mechanism.

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-17-2015 at 11:15 AM.
03-17-2015, 12:33 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You can still rescue the film by removing it from the camera when placed in a lightproof film bag. If you don't have one you can also climb inside a closet with the door closed. Block as much ambient light outside the closet as possible. Put the camera inside an old jacket and zip it up. Roll in the neck collar of the jacket to seal (so to speak). Stick your arms through the sleeves. Presto! You have a poor man's film bag. Open the camera inside the jacket and pull out the film canister. Press the advance release button on the bottom of the body and rewind the film back into the canister just enough to leave a leader. Unthread what remains of the leader from the take up spool.

Or, simply rewind the entire film back into the canister and get a film catch strip to pull the leader out.

03-17-2015, 01:05 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
Looks like your mirror is stuck in up position, I think the camera is due for some CLA (cleaning, lubricating and adjustment ) - no wonder why, after 40-50 years of service...
Thanks for your input! Yes, I guess that could be expected...

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
As for the film load issue. The camera manual has detailed instructions. A decent copy scan is available from the Butkus site (donation appreciated)...
Thanks for the excellent tip Steve! I will have a look at the manual.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
* Bad light seal and mirror bumper foams are extremely common and replacement is part of a CLA. To test the foams, touch them with a toothpick. The foam should be resilient to pressure. It should not be crumbly, hard, or gummy. Gummy is particularly troublesome since the goo from the mirror bumper may be flung onto the focus screen from which it is difficult to remove or (worse) into the shutter or mirror mechanism.
Okay, I will try this too.

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
You can still rescue the film by removing it from the camera when placed in a lightproof film bag. If you don't have one you can also climb inside a closet with the door closed. Block as much ambient light outside the closet as possible. Put the camera inside an old jacket and zip it up. Roll in the neck collar of the jacket to seal (so to speak). Stick your arms through the sleeves. Presto! You have a poor man's film bag. Open the camera inside the jacket and pull out the film canister. Press the advance release button on the bottom of the body and rewind the film back into the canister just enough to leave a leader. Unthread what remains of the leader from the take up spool.

Or, simply rewind the entire film back into the canister and get a film catch strip to pull the leader out.
Good idea! I will keep that in mind for next time. However, I have already rewound the film now, so I'll have to look for a film catch strip somewhere then.

Thanks for the good advice guys! The mirror is now in its normal position again, but I'll check those foams because I'm afraid it'll just get stuck again otherwise.