Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2015, 12:38 PM   #1

Is it a scam?

So I sold my Canon 70D to a guy (not on the forum) who did a wire transfer to my account (Wells Fargo to Chase). I accepted the wire transfer with an email confirmation yesterday (with clearxchange) and it'll appear in my account within a couple if days. Is this a scam or no? Can he cancel the wire transfer at anytime or complain about it and get his money back? I haven't sent the package yet, but I will later on when things are more clear.

03-17-2015, 12:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wire transfers may take time to clear. Just wait, and you also can call the bank to consult how it works.
03-17-2015, 12:47 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just make sure that money is yours (check with the bank) before you ship anything.
03-17-2015, 01:30 PM   #4

Depending on what promises you made on speed of delivery, can you simply wait until the money is in your account before sending the package?

03-17-2015, 01:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Once the receiving bank (in this case, your bank) accepts a wire transfer, it cannot be reversed.

But are you *sure* it's an actual wire transfer? Because a quick google of ClearXchange makes it sound like an ACH, which is not the same thing, despite looking very similar to someone outside the bank.

ACH is more like an electronic check. It's a more common method for moving money around between banks. Your employer probably pays via ACH. Paypal uses ACH to transfer funds from your linked checking account. If you use online bill payment, it probably uses ACH.

ACH *can* be reversed for a small number of reasons.
03-17-2015, 02:04 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've used clearXchange and it took 3 or 4 days to clear, if I'm not mistaken. Not speedy.
03-17-2015, 02:25 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Once the receiving bank (in this case, your bank) accepts a wire transfer, it cannot be reversed.

But are you *sure* it's an actual wire transfer? Because a quick google of ClearXchange makes it sound like an ACH, which is not the same thing, despite looking very similar to someone outside the bank.

ACH is more like an electronic check. It's a more common method for moving money around between banks. Your employer probably pays via ACH. Paypal uses ACH to transfer funds from your linked checking account. If you use online bill payment, it probably uses ACH.

ACH *can* be reversed for a small number of reasons.
It didn't seem like an online check :3 as long as I know it's safe and I get my money

03-17-2015, 02:26 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Hmong_Xiong Quote
So I sold my Canon 70D to a guy (not on the forum) who did a wire transfer to my account (Wells Fargo to Chase). I accepted the wire transfer with an email confirmation yesterday (with clearxchange) and it'll appear in my account within a couple if days. Is this a scam or no? Can he cancel the wire transfer at anytime or complain about it and get his money back? I haven't sent the package yet, but I will later on when things are more clear.
Just be sure to wait until you see the money before shipping anything. I'd call your bank to make sure, too.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-17-2015, 03:28 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
Just make sure that money is yours (check with the bank) before you ship anything.
What he said. In the moment that the money are on your bank account, you can ship without problems. Never ship after seeing a receipt.
03-17-2015, 03:45 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Remember too that wire transfers bank to bank usually carry a bank charge. Depending on amount and banks involved, it may be a fixed amount or a percentage. Also it may be charged by either or both banks. So make sure the amount credited to your account is the amount agreed and not such amount minus the bank charge or commission.
03-18-2015, 05:49 AM   #11
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

If your purchaser was "Otis Squirrel" you had better hold on to that camera, he knows every way on earth to scam a buyer. Ask any buyer on E-Bay that paid $250. for a truckload of premium roasted peanuts...and goat a toy truck with 4 peanuts in it.

Regards!
03-18-2015, 06:35 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't send it until you see it clear. Let the buyer know that you see the notification, and will ship it once it clears. Better safe than sorry